Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 2014 Outback with 62k miles to the dealership for inspection today. It failed inspection due to a slight exhaust leak caused by a corroded midpipe gasket. They wanted $185 to replace the gasket and hardware. The flanges seem to be pretty rusty too but they didn't mention replacing them.

Is this job DIY without a lift? If so, can anyone link me to a video or pictures that can get me started?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
dunno about DIY - depends on your tools and ability. parts might separate easier if they're warm/hot.

an independent shop might do that for 1/2 dealership price.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,107 Posts
Whenever I've had to deal with exhaust bolts, I'd soak them with penetrating oil for at least 24hrs before tackling the task. They're sure to be rusted/frozen on and usually like to break, strip or otherwise come out not the way you need it to.

You should be able to do it without a lift, just be aware it may not be a straightforward R&R job. Rust and heat make for some seriously corroded stuff.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
Soak profusely with PB Blaster for a week. May be doable at home.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,388 Posts
Haven't needed to make penetrating oil, but I hear a 50/50 mix of transmission fluid and acetone works incredibly well if you have the stuff at hand. I was watching a hub removal video, this is the mix that ate up the rust and led to easy removal.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Probably do not need a lift. Most likely do need a jack and jack stands. $185 at a dealer most likely only represents an hour of labor time so should be a pretty straight forward DIY task.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,860 Posts
I brought my 2014 Outback with 62k miles to the dealership for inspection today. It failed inspection due to a slight exhaust leak caused by a corroded midpipe gasket. They wanted $185 to replace the gasket and hardware. The flanges seem to be pretty rusty too but they didn't mention replacing them.

Is this job DIY without a lift? If so, can anyone link me to a video or pictures that can get me started?

Thanks for your help.
This is likely COVERED under the Federal Emmissions Warantee. (The exhaust system is part of the Emmissions-controls) I suggest you READ the Federal Emmissions Warantee which came with your vehicle. Depending on weather your car is PZEV or not.... you are covered for up to 100K miles.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
This is likely COVERED under the Federal Emmissions Warantee. (The exhaust system is part of the Emmissions-controls) I suggest you READ the Federal Emmissions Warantee which came with your vehicle. Depending on weather your car is PZEV or not.... you are covered for up to 100K miles.
Unless the warranty has changed, the only exhaust pipes covered are ones between the exhaust manifold and the cat.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,860 Posts
I had that coupling replaced on my 2006 Baja last month. The local shop cut out the old coupling and welded in a new one with new gasket, springs and bolts.

I just checked the receipt.... $70 for the coupling (with hardware) and $30 for welding.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
I had that coupling replaced on my 2006 Baja last month. The local shop cut out the old coupling and welded in a new one with new gasket, springs and bolts.

I just checked the receipt.... $70 for the coupling (with hardware) and $30 for welding.
both my 2002 have many couplings removed and a union welded in. ...I mean like $25 for on 15 minutes of wait time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.