Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife reports to me that my 2000 outback lost power, began to bellow smoke out of the hood, make some noise then die. It's sitting in my garage now after the tow with no compression in at least one cylinder. I suspect a broken timing belt and bent valves. Today I will access the timing belt as soon as I can figure out how to remove the crankshaft pulley.

My questions to all who are wise are as follows.

1. where did the smoke come from?
2. rebuild or purchase heads?
3. could it be something else?

thanks,
mystic ray

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
The smoke could have been from burnt rubber.

Rebuild the heads

A seized cam, seized water pump

How many miles.

Every 106,000 miles OR 106 months subarus need a timing belt and all the associated parts. When was the last time this timing belt was done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not know when timimg belt was replaced but it looks new and appears to be functioning normally. The timing belt cover, however, was melted to the engine around the lower cover bolts. Also, no compression in left two cylinders and motor oil looks water free but smells burnt.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
No compression on 2 cyl's (same side?)and melted (inner?) cover I think you are dealing with a serious overheat. More than likely need that cyl head replaced, rebuild the other head. While your at it, t-belt kit, include pulleys, waterpump, and thermostat. You'll also need replacement timing covers, Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, both cylinders on left side register no compression. Only two quarts of coolant drained from the radiator and I found some oily residue in the overflow resivior. My guess is the head gasket but why zero compression?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
weird set of symptoms.

did the lubrication fail due to coolant in the oil and the camshaft seized? how could that cause heat at the front of the engine to melt timing cover?

or did the waterpump seize? leading to an overheat and failed headgasket?

I don't get it .

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Maybe water pump failed and steamed the plastic.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
No compression caused by warped head, from being overheated.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Get the front cover off the engine so you can see what is happening. The driver side cover will come off without the crank pulley being removed. If that one is melted, the water pump, tensioner and an idler gear sit behind it. In order to get the crank pulley off, you need the tool to hold it stationary and a pry bar or get creative with the holes in the pulley to hold it still and still use a pry bar. If the cover is melted, break it off, its no good anyway.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
sounds like it overheated but like cardoc said - pull the front timing cover off - it's easier than doing a compression test which you've already done so shouldn't be a problem for you.

rebuilding heads is expensive and i find it time consuming and monotonous, not worth my time to do it myself. i'd get a known good set of used heads - they're easy to find. Any 2000-2004 EJ25 heads will work if needed.

if you end up replacing timing components - the tensioner and all the pulleys should be replaced. water pump is wise too, particularly after such an event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts