Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dicount tire direct is having a sale for Black friday / thanksgiving.

looking to get new decent AT tires for my 18.

Trying to decide between these two. Those who have the falkens can you comment on noise and wear? The falkens come to only 385 a set after the rebates,

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
538 Posts

Trying to decide between these two. Those who have the falkens can you comment on noise and wear? The falkens come to only 385 a set after the rebates,
I am not familiar with this particular Falken tire. I, however, have had a different Falken tire (Ziex 912 H rated) and it wore out evenly pretty fast compared to Bridgestone and Michelin tires. Ziex 912 tire was quiet at the beginning and became very noisy when worn. The side walls were soft compared to Bridgestone H rated tire. I could have received the same tire again pro-rated, but, decided not to go with Falken.

I have no experience on Continental. Therefore, I cannot comment on them.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
238 Posts

@Borsig, I have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws and they are awesome. I have not noticed a significant difference in the tire noise compared to the duellers and the AT3Ws are wearing pretty well. Overall great tires and are awesome in rain and snow as well. This is the setup on My 18, with the MR118 wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
@Borsig, I have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws and they are awesome. I have not noticed a significant difference in the tire noise compared to the duellers and the AT3Ws are wearing pretty well. Overall great tires and are awesome in rain and snow as well. This is the setup on My 18, with the MR118 wheels.

Jimusoke,
I have a 2016 Outback. Getting ready to install the 2" lift from my 2011 OB (totaled in an accident). I noted your tire/wheel combo. That is exactly what I am looking at. Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (245-65-17) and Motegi MR118's (17x8). Have you had any fitment problems? Are you still happy with this tire and wheel setup?

I was originally looking at KO2s, but actually like the AT3Ws better (based on reviews and data). OH...I will be doing a 5x purchase and hopefully will rotate the 5 tires/wheels every 3k miles so the spare will basically keep up with the wear rate of all the other tires. Hopefully that plan will work out! Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jimusoke,

I have a 2016 Outback. Getting ready to install the 2" lift from my 2011 OB (totaled in an accident). I noted your tire/wheel combo. That is exactly what I am looking at. Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (245-65-17) and Motegi MR118's (17x8). Have you had any fitment problems? Are you still happy with this tire and wheel setup?

I was originally looking at KO2s, but actually like the AT3Ws better (based on reviews and data). OH...I will be doing a 5x purchase and hopefully will rotate the 5 tires/wheels every 3k miles so the spare will basically keep up with the wear rate of all the other tires. Hopefully that plan will work out! Thanks!

Hey @FlyboyTR, i have not had any major fitment issues with the tires and still really happy with the wheel and tire combo. My local tire guy swear by the AT3s and has them on all his shop trucks.
I do have very minor rubbing when backing up on a slope at full steering wheel turn. Aside from that specific situation, no other issues.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Ltd PZEV w/ Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica
228 Posts
I do have very minor rubbing when backing up on a slope at full steering wheel turn. Aside from that specific situation, no other issues.

The front tires rub then at full lock? Where is it rubbing? I'm curious if its a tire diameter, tire width, or wheel offset that causes it to rub. Almost everyone I've been able to talk to about that specific size tire all had their OBs lifted. I got a line on a person selling his wheels/tires with that size but I don't want to get them and figure out that they only fit if its lifted. Looks by picture you have stock suspension in the front and at minimum helper spacers in the rear?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The front tires rub then at full lock? Where is it rubbing? I'm curious if its a tire diameter, tire width, or wheel offset that causes it to rub. Almost everyone I've been able to talk to about that specific size tire all had their OBs lifted. I got a line on a person selling his wheels/tires with that size but I don't want to get them and figure out that they only fit if its lifted. Looks by picture you have stock suspension in the front and at minimum helper spacers in the rear?

@armith when I had the 2016 OB, I had to trim back the mud flaps to stop the rubbing at full lock....

With the 2018 OB, I did not have to trim the mud flaps prior to installing the lift kit.
I have overload springs in the rear that gave a 0.75 inch lift. I have the Motegi MR118 with the 45 offset.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i.
41 Posts
Hey @FlyboyTR, i have not had any major fitment issues with the tires and still really happy with the wheel and tire combo. My local tire guy swear by the AT3s and has them on all his shop trucks.
Jim,
Sorry to be so long in responding...I my notifications stopped! So far I have been very happy with the Motegi m118 and the Wildpeaks 245/75/17. I have zero rubbing, even when working hard at full lock. Thanks again for your input!

Reactions: Jimusoke

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,784 Posts
I think the OP has long decided, but for the sake of the original question:

It is an apples and oranges comparison except that the oranges in the guise of AT3W win it handily, so long as you get the P-metric version.

The AT3W, even when P-metric, are very, very tough tires, which the Conti AT are not. The Wildpeak are excellent in rock. On the 4Runner, I don't air them down for rocks at all. No punctures or issues (in rocks that are too much for stock OBs and some that are too much for any Subarus). Yet, on pavement the Wildpeak are absolutely silent (at least on the 4R) and handle and corner well.

For some reason, the Falkens are also quite cheap as far as quality tires go.

Wear will depend on use. Go off-pavement regularly and wear will be quick. It is inevitable. I get great mileage from road-only tires, but it has been quick wear for Geolander ATS, KO2s, Conti ATs, and Wildpeaks alike. I did get good wear from Toyo AT II on the B9 but that car did far less offroad than the OB, not to mention the 4R.

Reactions: FlyboyTR

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i
11 Posts
Thinking about have 1" spacers installed next time I have to buy tires on my 4th gen 2010. I'm a year out or so but wondering if 245/70/16 would fit with the slight lift?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thinking about have 1" spacers installed next time I have to buy tires on my 4th gen 2010. I'm a year out or so but wondering if 245/70/16 would fit with the slight lift?
You may have brake clearance issues with 16" wheel even on a gen 4. It will be tight, thats for sure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What part of the brake would be in question? Front or rear or both? Might be simple but I'm a newb.
I retract my comment..:laugh:

I forgot that the gen4 2.5i had steelies that were 16" option... The 3.6 models had the bigger brake rotors so they were limited to 17" only. Do you have wheels or using the steelies? A 245 width is pretty wide for a 6.5" wide rim.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i
11 Posts
I have steelies and planning on keeping those for now. Yea, I don't want or need to push it that much width wise, so 235 would be fine though?

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are different opinions out there about oversizing tires.. the issue as i recall is if the tire is too much wider than the rim you can have handling issues. The sidewalls may want to roll under when cornering and u may get a lateral (side to side) wiggle mushy feel. But if your talking strictly off road use, the 4wd peeps love to go on narrow rims for other benefits. So all in what your goals are.

As a reference, some of the people here running 245 width ATs on the popular Method Rallys or Motegi wheels are all 8" wide.

There are some wheel width charts out there that give min-max-recommended tire widths based on wheel width. That should help some when you are ready to pull the trigger on tires. Don't forget to post up pictures once you do too.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Beautiful! Just bought a 20' and saw this post. What sizes are the wheel/tire sizes? Is the car lifted. Am not lifting mine, and wonder what sizes if the at3w will fit.

Thanks! J

·
Registered
238 Posts
Beautiful! Just bought a 20' and saw this post. What sizes are the wheel/tire sizes? Is the car lifted. Am not lifting mine, and wonder what sizes if the at3w will fit.

Thanks! J
The wheels are 17s and the tires are 245/65/17s. The car is lifted-2 inch LP lift with front and rear overload springs that provide an additional 0.75 inches of lift. That said, I had the tires for a while prior to putting on the lift kit so the at3ws will still fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts