Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5L with Eyesight package.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

After much research and discussion with the wife, we have pulled the trigger on these new tires. There's not much out there on the interwebs about them yet, but I just wanted to share my experience and update this as time goes by.

I ordered them in the OEM size (for a premium trim) 225/65R17.**

I paid $130 per tire and got a military discount on installation from Discount Tire / America's tire. Out-the-door, including tax install and the lifetime warranty (10 years or 3/32") for $684.

I live in Northern California and do a fair amount of camping/hiking/fishing/hunting etc. I wanted a tire that was able to drive 8 hours to go see family, serve my wife as a good daily driver, and play on the weekends. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2.5" OME lift and 31" Good year Duratrac tires, so the more off-roady bits I will reserve for the Jeep. However, a lot of times, you just want to go check out new spots or just get through some not-so-friendly prius spots, and you don't want to pay for the extra gas in the Jeep. So that's where the tire choice came from.

A week ago, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some Yokohama Geolander G015s... but I just didn't want to ruin the ride and handling. In an emergency, I wanted maximum braking and handling performance.I just didn't feel like the Geolanders would perform as well as a regular all season tire like the General Altimax RT43's would have. So somewhere between the Geolander and Altimax is where I wanted to be, and getting the 3PMSF symbol is a real plus for when we go to Lake Tahoe, I'm just 30 minutes away from snow in November.

I don't notice any negative impact to acceleration or floaty handling. They are a tad louder than stock, but in the good way. They sound like baby Duratracs when go are going down a back road, just a faint sound of what an all terrain tire sounds like. I exited the 45mph off ramp at 60 mph without drama.

All in all, I'm very happy with the initial impressions. I think these are the perfect tire for Subarus. I need to get it aligned still, and take some better pictures when the car is clean. I'll report back in this weekend after I've made it back from deer camp on the off-roading capabilities.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,635 Posts
Wow, even available in 225/60-18 for Limited. Look good, may buy if my Duellers ever wear out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put these on my car too. Mine are 225/60/18. I was really worried about additional noise, but if they are any louder than the stock duelers, I am unable to detect it. So far have only driven on roads in dry weather, so I don't have any other performance observations.
IMG_20191005_173134150_HDR.jpg IMG_20191005_124825875_HDR.jpg

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,797 Posts
Been pretty happy with my Wildpeak AT3s.

These seem like the tamer more civilized little brother to that tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

After much research and discussion with the wife, we have pulled the trigger on these new tires. There's not much out there on the interwebs about them yet, but I just wanted to share my experience and update this as time goes by.

I ordered them in the OEM size (for a premium trim) 225/65R17.**

I paid $130 per tire and got a military discount on installation from Discount Tire / America's tire. Out-the-door, including tax install and the lifetime warranty (10 years or 3/32") for $684.

I live in Northern California and do a fair amount of camping/hiking/fishing/hunting etc. I wanted a tire that was able to drive 8 hours to go see family, serve my wife as a good daily driver, and play on the weekends. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2.5" OME lift and 31" Good year Duratrac tires, so the more off-roady bits I will reserve for the Jeep. However, a lot of times, you just want to go check out new spots or just get through some not-so-friendly prius spots, and you don't want to pay for the extra gas in the Jeep. So that's where the tire choice came from.

A week ago, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on some Yokohama Geolander G015s... but I just didn't want to ruin the ride and handling. In an emergency, I wanted maximum braking and handling performance.I just didn't feel like the Geolanders would perform as well as a regular all season tire like the General Altimax RT43's would have. So somewhere between the Geolander and Altimax is where I wanted to be, and getting the 3PMSF symbol is a real plus for when we go to Lake Tahoe, I'm just 30 minutes away from snow in November.

I don't notice any negative impact to acceleration or floaty handling. They are a tad louder than stock, but in the good way. They sound like baby Duratracs when go are going down a back road, just a faint sound of what an all terrain tire sounds like. I exited the 45mph off ramp at 60 mph without drama.

All in all, I'm very happy with the initial impressions. I think these are the perfect tire for Subarus. I need to get it aligned still, and take some better pictures when the car is clean. I'll report back in this weekend after I've made it back from deer camp on the off-roading capabilities. View attachment 472048 View attachment 472049
In February of '18, I put a 2" Subie Lift Oz lift kit(absolutely awesome kit!!) on my 06 WRX and used the King stock ride height springs on Tokico D-spec struts.....if there is little to nothing in the car i can drive over a 16oz beer can.
I got the Yoko G015's in 215/65-16 mounted on some Speedline SP2's in 16x7. These have shocked me with how good they are in all conditions and I think your fears about them are unfounded. The ride is awesome, and the handling is very good, overall and the wear has been excellent! They are quiet and handle quite well although it is wise to slow down in the wet as wet acceleration can falter with 350ft-lbs at the wheels :) They have spent hours on the highway at 85mph all day with the car loaded out past gross by a good bit...and have been up a good few forest service roads in the Lincoln national forest and Gila national forest in New Mexico without a hitch.
I came here looking for reviews on the Falken Wildpeak as a possible replacement for these Yoko's as the Falkens are an XL rated tire which the Yoko isnt XL load rated, so dont think im just here to pump the Yoko's...they are quite capable tires...I cant attest to their ice/snow capability as I have not had the chance to test that, yet. There was very little snow out here last season, unfortunately.
Thank you for your reviews on the Falken's

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 4AT EJ253
44 Posts
I was looking at the Yokohama Geolandar G015 before I saw the Wildpeak Trail. The Trail has better UTGQ specs and better sidewall buildup than the Geo's. Price was much better as well in my area (Portland OR). $140 ea installed. No noticible road noise compared to the previous set of touring tires. They come in stock sizes (225/55R17) too whereas the Geo's have a 225/60. It seems a nice "cross-over" design for easygoing forest road travel. And, like the Geo's they are also 3 peak mountain rated for snowy conditions. Oh yeah, they do look hot :)

Incidentally, the lettering is smooth on one side and project's outward on the other, like the sidewall stepping. Your choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m interested to see these in a 235/65/17 size on the 5th gen, seems like a nice mid size tire upgrade with a slight lift and beefier look. Nice that they even come in the 235 size for an 3/4 inch upsize. Plus the larger size is actually $8 less on discount tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all... New to tje gorum and also new to Subaru's.. Bought a 2014 Outback Premium awd 2.5i 71,000 1 owner.. Only had a few weeks and so far i have been quite happy.. Now to the post.. I just ordered these from Tirebuyer and expect to be installed no later than early next week.. I am so glad i found a few of you guys who have these and posted pics.. They look awesome!! This is my 2nd set of Falkens as i had thr Wildpeak Atw3's on my 09.Cherokee.. I was super happy with those until a deer destroyed the car.. Like someone posted the trail looks to be a little tamer version then the atw3's and that is ok with me.. I live in an area where we get lots of snow so glad these are winter stamped... Well i hope the OP continues liking your tires and keeps us updated... When i get mine on and winter starting anytime i will continue to check back and let you know how i loke mine as well... Peace all!! TCM

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
686 Posts
Did any one of you with the Falken Trails get a chance to drive in snow? How do these do in snow? I understand they are rated for severe winter but there are tires that do very well in snow without the rating, like my old car's Continental DWS06.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We got 8 inches of snow a few days ago but I hit a deer with the OB and get it back this monday.. Scheduled the tires/wheels and new sensors for wednesday and it sounds like just in time as the weather report is calling for a chance of heavy snow in certain areas.. Im hoping we fall in that area for no other reason then to see how the tires do.. So the answer is no from me but it sounds like i will find out by next week sometime.. I will come back to this thread and give you an update on how well the tires perform...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,797 Posts
Did any one of you with the Falken Trails get a chance to drive in snow? How do these do in snow? I understand they are rated for severe winter but there are tires that do very well in snow without the rating, like my old car's Continental DWS06.
I can't speak for the Wildpeak AT/Trail but I do have the Wildpeak AT3. They're a complete joke in the snow when compared to dedicated winter tires.

The AT3 also has the 3 peak mountain snowflake logo showing it's snow rated.

I even have a video on testing it. It's not super scientific (we measured stopping distance by walking it) but even then the difference is pretty drastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts