Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Falken rates both the AT3 and the Trail as 4.5 in the snow. I’m thinking of staying with all weather or AT year round in NJ (for the first time in about 12 years) and had hopes that snow performance would be a bit better with an all weather or AT that has the 3PMSF symbol.

Decisions, decisions.
I'm in NJ as well and would like the best of both but since we usually get more slippery/slushy/icy weather rather than tons of snow, I think a true winter tire with lots of sipes would be the best, safest way to go. Then swap them out in the spring. Unfortunately I don't think a winter tire has the increased sidewall protection that an AT tire has for my mild off-roading but that may be a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the better day-to-day winter traction a true winter tire provides.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,834 Posts
Falken rates both the AT3 and the Trail as 4.5 in the snow. I’m thinking of staying with all weather or AT year round in NJ (for the first time in about 12 years) and had hopes that snow performance would be a bit better with an all weather or AT that has the 3PMSF symbol.

Decisions, decisions.
4.5 out of 10 seems about right.

I'm surprised a manufacturer would be so honest with it's products shortcomings.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,935 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put these on my car too. Mine are 225/60/18. I was really worried about additional noise, but if they are any louder than the stock duelers, I am unable to detect it. So far have only driven on roads in dry weather, so I don't have any other performance observations.
View attachment 472053 View attachment 472052
Hi, is your outback lifted ? I am considering these tires on 17" rims on a 2" lift by LP adventures in 245/65/17 vs KO2

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,935 Posts
Oh, for my '83 Land Cruiser FJ60 with its 2 live axles, leaf springs front and back, and its factory OE bias-ply snows.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,834 Posts
Oh, for my '83 Land Cruiser FJ60 with its 2 live axles, leaf springs front and back, and its factory OE bias-ply snows.
I miss my Samurai at times.

It was totally junk but two live axles, manual transmission, manual hubs, leaf spring front and rear, Detroit locker, and 33s made it special.

33 actually looked huge on it. I felt like the front and rear wheels were about to touch.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
I had a similar question on another thread, but this seems like the discussion I need most right now: getting a new 2020 Onyx very shortly. Thinking of right away getting GO15's as a great compromise between AS tires and really aggressive ones that will be a major mpg hit, noisy, etc. (They'll cost ~$850.) I love doing "light" off-road, but most time will be on hwy. I would put the stock AS tires on Craigslist, to make up for some of that big expense. But I'll be moving to Idaho or Wyoming in a few months, which means snow. If I wait and just get appropriate tires then, I'll have put a lot of miles on these new stock tires, so I'm thinking I wouldn't get much on Craigslist. And would snow tires I get at that point be really solid off-road tires in general, when it warms up? Thanks....obviously I don't know much about this area.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
40 Posts
The problem with saying an AT tire is good or bad in the snow is that "snow" can in reality be a dozen unique traction scenarios (depending on the type of frozen or frozen-ish precip, the temperature, the amount, etc). I'm on my 3rd set of AT tires on the 3.6R (Wildpeaks in 245/65 17; previously TerrainContacts and Dynapro ATMs) and there were some conditions where they did great and I felt they were very close dedicated to winter tire performance (deep, heavy, but still somewhat dry snow as shown below), but there were also times when they were barely any better than all seasons (light coating of mostly ice, or previous snow that had been heavily compacted). Winter tires tend to excel in ALL of those conditions; ATs only in some. It's a trade off.

I'm considering throwing a set of dedicated winter tires on my old STi winter wheels because a) they'll actually fit the Outback and b) I'll get more life out of my ATs overall (I usually burn through them in two years if I use them full-time).

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
FWIW: At the Subaru dealership where I'm getting my Onyx XT, I spent about an hour with the sales guy who is a real off-road enthusiast w/his Forester. He's been on some of my favorite trails here in CA in the Sierras and Inyos. When I told him I was probably going to go with the Geo15's, he started telling me how much he LOVED the Falkens, couldn't recommend them enough, takes them to some pretty sketchy places, they were great on and off-road....he mentioned that Toytoa TRD developed them, and that says something for them (his opinion.) They're pretty much the only other option for 18" wheels besides the Geo's. Just thought I'd add his thoughts to the discussion, as I make a decision on which to get; it's between those two and I need to decide soon.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
Based on what some have said, here and elsewhere, maybe my best option is to go ahead and get the Falkens or Geo's, and when I move to Idaho or Wyoming, just get a set of dedicated winter tires and switch them out before and after each season.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I just ordered a set of Wildpeak A/T Trail tires with new Method MR503 wheels. I'll try to report back with my impressions after everything is installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
235/60-18 on an un-lifted 2017 Outback???? Anyone done this size in the Wildpeak Trail and know if it will rub? I just went to discount tire to order the stock size (225/60-18) but they are backordered from Falken until January. I know the 235/60-18 works for the Geolanders but they are 29.1in and the size for Falken is 29.3in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem with saying an AT tire is good or bad in the snow is that "snow" can in reality be a dozen unique traction scenarios (depending on the type of frozen or frozen-ish precip, the temperature, the amount, etc). I'm on my 3rd set of AT tires on the 3.6R (Wildpeaks in 245/65 17; previously TerrainContacts and Dynapro ATMs) and there were some conditions where they did great and I felt they were very close dedicated to winter tire performance (deep, heavy, but still somewhat dry snow as shown below), but there were also times when they were barely any better than all seasons (light coating of mostly ice, or previous snow that had been heavily compacted). Winter tires tend to excel in ALL of those conditions; ATs only in some. It's a trade off.

I'm considering throwing a set of dedicated winter tires on my old STi winter wheels because a) they'll actually fit the Outback and b) I'll get more life out of my ATs overall (I usually burn through them in two years if I use them full-time).

View attachment 474791
Is your OB lifted? How does this tire size work with rubbing?

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl 2.5 OB Limited
20 Posts
Just ordered a set for my 2018 Limited with stock rims/no lift. Had to go with 235/60R18's instead of stock 225/60R18 because according to two vendors, Falken has an "indefinite backorder" of 225's, and they don't expect any available for the next 3 months -- minimum. Getting them put on in two days, then up to the snow in Lake Tahoe two days after that. Will submit subsequent report.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just ordered a set for my 2018 Limited with stock rims/no lift. Had to go with 235/60R18's instead of stock 225/60R18 because according to two vendors, Falken has an "indefinite backorder" of 225's, and they don't expect any available for the next 3 months -- minimum. Getting them put on in two days, then up to the snow in Lake Tahoe two days after that. Will submit subsequent report.
By using 235/60 18 over 225/60 18 what the advantage/disadvantage ? I’m assuming that since it’s slightly wider you will have better traction on dry surfaces but not as good on snow as there is more resistance with a wider footprint. I’d also be curious to what the mileage penalty would be if any. I’ll be looking forward to your report after your Tahoe trip. My car won’t be delivered until late January and I want to get the Falken Trail AT but I don’t know what size will be best.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Curious how these are working out for you?

I have a 2019 Outback 3.6R stock wheels, stock lift. Wanting to get these and tirerack says 225/60R18 should fit. I want to make sure these will go on the OEM wheels with no lift and no rubbing?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
453 Posts
So the WP AT3 isn't real good in the cold/wet/white stuff? - How do they justify the Snow-Flake on the Mountains logo, which is supposed to mean it meets their severe snow rating minimum. (Or how low is Falken's severe snow minimum).

I'm running the General Altimax RT43 at present, which is CR's best rated All Season in snow. Was thinking of trying to squeeze a 'Light' AT tire in 225/65-17 or 235/60-17 in the rear wells, now that the 1" spacers and Rallitek springs on installed. (They might fit, but it would be a test one first, before buying/installing). The WPs seem to be one of the lighter, light off-road tires, not wanting to add a lot of unsprung weight, but I want good or decent snow/ice traction, without having to swap wheels twice a year.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I'm looking to put Wildpeak A/T Trails on my 2016 Outback Limited with stock 18" wheels and no lift. Does anyone have a definitive answer as too wether the 235/60R18's will fit without rubbing?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts