Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I'm looking to put Wildpeak A/T Trails on my 2016 Outback Limited with stock 18" wheels and no lift. Does anyone have a definitive answer as too wether the 235/60R18's will fit without rubbing?
Yes! Me, I have the Wildpeak 225/65-17s on Method 501 wheels and like them very much , but our forum's resident expert on the 235/60-18 size working out great on stock 18" wheels is member Fattcoffee- check out his cool photos and very positive, reliable assessment- no lift, no worries.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 2.5i
4 Posts
Yes! Me, I have the Wildpeak 225/65-17s on Method 501 wheels and like them very much , but our forum's resident expert on the 235/60-18 size working out great on stock 18" wheels is member Fattcoffee- check out his cool photos and very positive, reliable assessment- no lift, no worries.
Thanks for the info. From what I gather, the 235's will fit with no issues and the 245/60R18's are just about within spec. Am I misunderstanding or is that correct?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the info. From what I gather, the 235's will fit with no issues and the 245/60R18's are just about within spec. Am I misunderstanding or is that correct?
Based on my personal experience the Falken WP A/T Trail is a great tire. If I were looking to stay with the 60-18s, I would get the 225 (see member Stillsandbert510 ) or go up just one to 235, as per Fattcoffee. Don't forget the issue of "unsprung weight" and its effect on suspension, acceleration, and mileage if you are considering 245. That may be as big a deal as potential rubbing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Based on my personal experience the Falken WP A/T Trail is a great tire. If I were looking to stay with the 60-18s, I would get the 225 (see member Stillsandbert510 ) or go up just one to 235, as per Fattcoffee. Don't forget the issue of "unsprung weight" and its effect on suspension, acceleration, and mileage if you are considering 245. That may be as big a deal as potential rubbing.
Just to add a few numbers:
The 225/60-18 is 28.7 tall and weighs 30.2; 235 H29.3, W34.2; and the 245 H29.7, W36.4.
To illustrate my point I originally wanted to get the 17" tires in 235 size on LPAventure LP-1 wheels- just because they looked really cool and filled out the wheel wells nicely. That combo weighed 35.1 + 27- so by going with the 225/65-17 WPs (30) and Method Racing 501s (23.8) I saved almost 8 pounds per corner. That has to be good for something, and they still look darn good.
Fattcoffee made an excellent point that a 245/55-18 tire would be close to spec, but might be hard to find. I would worry about the 245/60-18s- what possible advantage could they offer that would be worth the trouble?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, I bet you'll love 'em- truth is, I still think fondly about the 235s. Don't forget that they are rated at 107H (225s: 100H) 6ply vs 4. so you are getting some extra sturdiness, not just good looks. I do think 245s are too much, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm picking up my 2020 limited XT w/ 2" LP lift and a set of 245/60/18 next week. I'll post some pictures on the beach.

Had so stay with those stock wheels, they are very nice

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl 2.5 OB Limited
20 Posts
Sorry for the delay on this ... I got the 235/60-18's in November. I did several trips to Tahoe in heavy snow, went for a week to the Mojave Desert (Trona Pinnacles ... lots of rocks), done several OHV runs, and still have done my 70-mile round-trip commute. I have about 9K on the tires. Zero rubbing. Zero issues. They are light-years ahead of the stock Bridgestones in all conditions, including on pavement. The Falken's are quieter on pavement, which was a surprise to me. They did very well in the snow for me, and the added diameter has proven very useful when airing down for washboards and sharp rock conditions. I highly recommend them. I did take a MPG hit of about 5-7%. But since this is a daily driver/overlanding/camping vehicle, I find the MPG hit to be worth it.

Given the choice between 235's and 225's (remember, 225's weren't available when I bought mine), I would definitely go with 235's.

I picked up a 5th tire and extra OEM rim right before my first rotation ... so now I have the full size spare which is rotated in for a 20% increase in tire life. They are wearing very well.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i
3 Posts
Just put my Wildpeak Trails (235/65R17) and Black Rhino Boxers on this past week. Turned out well. No lift. No Rub...so far. Based on my calc., this set up is only about 1lb heaver per corner than stock wheels/tires.

Any suggestions on standard tire pressure for the road? I've look at the web site but it only gives max pressures.

Anyway taking a 4hr long drive this weekend so I will get a good feeling for them after that.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
583 Posts
Just put my Wildpeak Trails (235/65R17) and Black Rhino Boxers on this past week. Turned out well. No lift. No Rub...so far. Based on my calc., this set up is only about 1lb heaver per corner than stock wheels/tires.

Any suggestions on standard tire pressure for the road? I've look at the web site but it only gives max pressures.

Anyway taking a 4hr long drive this weekend so I will get a good feeling for them after that.

View attachment 484909
I'd go by the sticker on the door frame.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5L with Eyesight package.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just an update for all... as you all know by now, 2020 has been something out of a Steven King novel. Sorry for the lack of updates here, but after about 7,000 miles and all 4 seasons, I have a better foundation to speak to how well they are doing.

Today, I bought the Subaru OEM 18" wheels/tires from a guy on Craigslist. They are the ones that came on the Limited trim, made by Enkei. My wife has always loved the look of them, but we got a really good deal on our Premium with Eyesight trim, we couldn't justify spending almost 10k more at the time of purchase for the limited. So we gotta get some TPMS for them before we can mount them. But our plan is to to run them for the rest of the summer. This will help preserve some tread on the 17" Falkens.

But as far as the Falken tires go, they have been really great overall. We did go up in the mountains about half a dozen time, spent some time going through the snow and dirt and mud. They are definitely a big improvement over those factory Duelers in pretty much every aspect of traction on every surface. The only downside is we probably get about 1mpg less than the factory tires. (averaged 34-35mpg prior on a highway trip and now we are 33-34). But we had 3 punctures in the factory tires and they really were not good for the snow. I'd say its worthwhile trade off.

Snow and ice handling are pretty good. If I had to drive through snow or ice everyday for longer than a month, I'd probably still get a dedicated snow/winter tire setup. But for the handful of times we want to go play or camp etc, these are perfect. But I'd say the biggest thing for us is that its allowed us to take the Subaru over my Jeep Grand Cherokee for just day trips or etc. Saving me money at the pump.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts