Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great choice....exactly what I'm running on my 2020 Outback XT....I have just under 1000kms...with Zero issues! I've run them in everything a Canadian winter has thrown at us thus far and they have exceeded my expectations. A bonus is how quiet at highway speeds. I would comfortably say you can't even hear them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Is there any difference you think between the 2020 and 2017 outback wheel well that would be of concern for me? It sounds like you have no rubbing or anything on yours so mine should be fine if they didnt change anything fitment wise in the wheel well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there any difference you think between the 2020 and 2017 outback wheel well that would be of concern for me? It sounds like you have no rubbing or anything on yours so mine should be fine if they didnt change anything fitment wise in the wheel well.
If your stock size is 225/60/18...then I see no issues.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
83 Posts
Zero road noise on highways! The spare in the new Outbacks are a full size spare..which is 225/60/18...I can't tell for certain if it will fit but a guy on here was able to install his 245s contis in the spare location with minor modifications, so I suspect if you stick with the stock size in a falken it won't be an issue. Haven't really done any mileage testing yet, as I'm waiting to get a 1000km on the engine first. I suspect it's negligible if at all.

Hope this helps

Cheers
What do you think of road handling in dry/wet? Have you noticed any issues at highway speeds? I think these tires fit my needs but am still hesitant to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
Got the only A/T tires available right now for factory size at 225/60 R18 done today even the spare. Got rid of that black styrofoam that held the tools cause i could obviously utilize the space. This weekend ill be driving on pismo beach with the wife and In December ill be driving up to lake tahoe on snow! Which these tires bare the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol for extreme weather. Would like to go meatier but ill wait for others reviews. View attachment 473525 View attachment 473526 View attachment 473527 View attachment 473528 View attachment 473529
Okay, so with my Tracker I always carried plastic storage racks with supplies, etc....I want to be more efficient with my new Onyx. What exactly are in the gear you show here....besides the jump-starter?

·
Registered
47 Posts
What do you think of road handling in dry/wet? Have you noticed any issues at highway speeds? I think these tires fit my needs but am still hesitant to pull the trigger.
I can confidently tell you...they will meet or exceed any or all of your expectations. I'm an extremely picky individual when it comes to tires...if I had anything negative to say, I would definitely share my thoughts. The tires are very composed and predictable I find...I also love the ride in and around town. Note : I live in Toronto and we're plague with pot holes that typically make the news on a daily basis and the Falkens suck em up without rattling my brains. I know the suspension plays a factor in this but most certainly the Flaken's compliment the subies suspension. Cornering is nice and flat...I no time do I feel like I'm "rolling dough" and stopping is responsive and flat with the falkens...at highway speeds they're nice and quiet and I would say as quiet as the oem tires. Another bonus is how they handle big puddles on the highway...no hydro planing.

Hope this helps :)
Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
83 Posts
I can confidently tell you...they will meet or exceed any or all of your expectations. I'm an extremely picky individual when it comes to tires...if I had anything negative to say, I would definitely share my thoughts. The tires are very composed and predictable I find...I also love the ride in and around town. Note : I live in Toronto and we're plague with pot holes that typically make the news on a daily basis and the Falkens suck em up without rattling my brains. I know the suspension plays a factor in this but most certainly the Flaken's compliment the subies suspension. Cornering is nice and flat...I no time do I feel like I'm "rolling dough" and stopping is responsive and flat with the falkens...at highway speeds they're nice and quiet and I would say as quiet as the oem tires. Another bonus is how they handle big puddles on the highway...no hydro planing.

Hope this helps :)
Cheers
Fantastic. Thank you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Okay, so with my Tracker I always carried plastic storage racks with supplies, etc....I want to be more efficient with my new Onyx. What exactly are in the gear you show here....besides the jump-starter?
tire inflator, small tool kit, first aid kit, portable foldable shovel, owners manual, the jack and tools it came with. that's it for now there's still so much room for other things.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
I'm looking at either the Geo's or the Falken tires we're talking about here.......I was ready to go ahead and get them immediately until Brucey's comments on another thread that they suck on snow.....he said they are a "joke" compared to a real winter tire, but definitely better than AS tires. So I don't know.......I plan to move to Wyoming or Idaho in the near future so maybe I'll get these and then come winter, get a set of genuine winter tires and switch them out.....switch back for spring/summer.......

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
tire inflator, small tool kit, first aid kit, portable foldable shovel, owners manual, the jack and tools it came with. that's it for now there's still so much room for other things.
thanks! I think I'll do pretty much the same, though I still have the stackables with everything I could possibly need for when I'm on any extended adventure......emergency food, supplies, tech back up (cables, connectors), batteries, flares, etc, etc. I even have a couple novels back there just in case......:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm looking at either the Geo's or the Falken tires we're talking about here.......I was ready to go ahead and get them immediately until Brian's comments on another thread that they suck on snow.....he said they are a "joke" compared to a real winter tire, but definitely better than AS tires. So I don't know.......I plan to move to Wyoming or Idaho in the near future so maybe I'll get these and then come winter, get a set of genuine winter tires and switch them out.....switch back for spring/summer.......
Hi, interested in your comment about Brian's snow eval on these tires but can't find the "other thread". Can you help please?

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
Hi, it was Brucey, not Brian. Here's what he said:
...……...………….…….

"I can't speak for the Wildpeak AT/Trail but I do have the Wildpeak AT3. They're a complete joke in the snow when compared to dedicated winter tires.

The AT3 also has the 3 peak mountain snowflake logo showing it's snow rated.

I even have a video on testing it. It's not super scientific (we measured stopping distance by walking it) but even then the difference is pretty drastic."
…………………………..
Do a search for "Falken Wildpeak" and the thread is a ways down.....it has 34 comments; that's the tip-off (most of the threads are titled similarly.)

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
116 Posts
I can see that. So basically both choices would be excellent 3- season tires at the very least. And the Falkens are less expensive. On the other hand, lots of people love their Geo's.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
27 Posts
Has anyone bought tires from the above linked internet seller "Discounted Wheel Warehouse"?
The description for these tires sounds great: ..."The Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail is an all-terrain crossover tire engineered to accommodate a CUV's unibody construction and higher center of gravity. It is designed with superior wet and snow traction capabilities over a typical all-season tire, and resists excess wear in a wide range of temperatures. "
The out the door price with shipping to upstate NY is less than $500

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone bought tires from the above linked internet seller "Discounted Wheel Warehouse"?
The description for these tires sounds great: ..."The Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail is an all-terrain crossover tire engineered to accommodate a CUV's unibody construction and higher center of gravity. It is designed with superior wet and snow traction capabilities over a typical all-season tire, and resists excess wear in a wide range of temperatures. "
Grab yourself a set....you won't be disappointed!

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
27 Posts
Interested in a review of the seller,
I’ve bee ripped off buying a new outboard motor from a slick website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I found them doing an online search I have no experience with them . In looking at their online reviews I didn’t see an inordinate amount of complaints on tires but there were complaints on wheels not fitting properly. I would by tires from them as long as the warranty is from the manufacturer and can be resolved at a local dealer. I would only get rims that I was absolutely sure would fit it seems that there were reports that they had given poor wheel recommendations to people but remember when reading on line reviews it usually just one side of the story. When I make major purchases like tires I would call them and ask questions that could be of concern like “are the tires second or blemish, speed of deliver, return policy etc”, I would record it also just in case. From what I read I think they are a legitimate outfit but the experts seem to have made mistakes or it’s possible the mistakes were due to the customer giving them faulty info. Here is a link to a review site that I looked at.

When my car arrives in January I will most likely order the Falkens from them.
Good luck and remember
The Buyer Beware

41 - 60 of 132 Posts