Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
549 Posts
I've read that "snow tires" aren't very good in hot weather. How are these Falkens in hot weather? If I was to drive 750 miles at 75 mph on a hot day in June, how would they take it?

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
59 Posts
I haven’t used a full tank of gas through them yet but they appear to be 2-3MPG less the the stock tires. Had I gone with the stock size and not the 235 XL rated tires I suspect I wouldn’t be losing this much MPG.
As a follow up, I have stock size (225/60r18) wildpeak at trail. I've seen 0.5mpg decrease over the course of 275ish miles. Whether that's the tires or prevailing conditions, I'm not sure; I'm not worried about small drop at all.

I'm completely satisfied with the tires. They are quieter than the stock Yokohama tires imo and handle wet roads much more comfortably. I havent noticed any sluggishness off the line in terms of acceleration. They seem to hug the road better than OEM on dry pavement, too. Plus, they look awesome.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
103 Posts
Wow, that's sensational.......I've been told that with some tires I could expect a drop of 5-6mpg. I just talked with a Big Brand guy near me, and he said the Geo's would be far less of a compromise than the Pirelli AT+......I should have asked him his take on the Falkens too.....

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
59 Posts
Yes, I'm thrilled I went this road. I was hesitant but glad I pulled the trigger! I'm interested to see how they handle snow. I have dedicated snow tires but wanted to see how the wildpeaks go. May end up just selling my blizzaks

Edit:
Just to clarify: the two 275 freeway trips were both the same route (traveled to visit family two weekends in a row; once after I installed the falkens), in nearly identical weather conditions. OEM Yokohamas were inflated to spec, I inflated the Falkens 1 psi higher per axle (36 front, 34 rear).

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
103 Posts
Do you do any off-roading with them? Not necessarily mud, snow, etc, just their handling/sturdiness on dirt trails?

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
59 Posts
Do you do any off-roading with them? Not necessarily mud, snow, etc, just their handling/sturdiness on dirt trails?
I've gone down one gravel/dirt road so far. They feel more planted than the stock, especially under braking. Havent gone on any trails.. yet. Speedometer is dead on, too, measured against a GPS speedo.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
103 Posts
Thanks for that.....a lot of people love these Falkens, even against Geo's, which seem to be the overall favorite, at least for those not willing to go seriously aggressive with KO2's or similar. I'm just trying to decide if I should get 225's or 235's....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for that.....a lot of people love these Falkens, even against Geo's, which seem to be the overall favorite, at least for those not willing to go seriously aggressive with KO2's or similar. I'm just trying to decide if I should get 225's or 235's....
The 225's will give you less unsprung weight. What advantage, other than looks, are you thinking the 235's will give you over the 225's?

Food for thought:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 225's will give you less unsprung weight. What advantage, other than looks, are you thinking the 235's will give you over the 225's?

Food for thought:

An excellent point, Silver. I was headed for Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 235/65-17s on Method 502s, a combo which I think looks really cool. After thinking about your comments and re-reading Wes Siler's article and the team-bhp post, I've decided to go with Method 501s and 225/65-17s. That will save me over 5 1/2 pounds of unsprung weight per wheel. I still think there is an advantage to going down to 225/65-17 from the OEM 225/60-18s- which basically weigh the same but have more sidewall and higher load; 102H 1874 vs 100H 1764. What say you?

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
59 Posts
Unless you cant get 225s and need the tires immediately, I dont see a point in going for 235. The speedometer will be off (maybe not a big deal to some but it is to me), unsprung weight will be higher at ~3lbs a tire, so handling suffers a little, and gas mileage decreases, etc.

The outback is a touring vehicle with some soft roading capabilities; it isnt a dedicated sports vehicle that needs wide wheels for track level grip. I'm pretty sure narrower tires do better in the snow/soft roading, too, as there is less being pushed out of the way. YMMV.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
59 Posts
there is an advantage to going down to 225/65-17 from the OEM 225/60-18s- which basically weigh the same but have more sidewall and higher load; 102H 1874 vs 100H 1764. What say you?
Cheaper, more sidewall for flex which will soften the ride a little. I'd say size down if you want to soft road or live in an area with crappy roads.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
103 Posts
Any ideas on skid plates for the Onyx? I posted on this ten days ago and zero response.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheaper, more sidewall for flex which will soften the ride a little. I'd say size down if you want to soft road or live in an area with crappy roads.
Thanks so much for the photos and solid advice- I'm headed for the Method 501/ Falken 225 duo. That plus some LP skids and I'll be set. Oh, and maybe a Cusco Tow Hook for a little splurge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is just what I wanted to hear. And after reading the Outside articles, I understand what unsprung and sprung weight are! I think I will just get the Falken 225 / 6018's.
I think this is a great choice for you! Check out the pics that mattytreks posted of his LP skidplates. They look terrific and very solid! Happy New Year

61 - 80 of 92 Posts