Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6L Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Falken Wildpeak AT3 on their outback / Crosstrek? (not the newer "Trail".. but AT3.) Wondering how that's going / sound / wet /etc.???

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
48 Posts
I have the Wildpeak AT3 W on my F150 and the AT trail on my Outback. The AT3 W have a far more aggressive tread pattern and I'm sure a good bit heavier as well. They are very quiet on my F150, but I think they might be overkill on a Subaru, unless you were doing a LOT of offroad stuff. Haven't checked to see if the AT3W is even available in Subaru sizes, but I think they are both great tires.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,344 Posts
I do.

They're nearly the same weight in 245/65/17.

Sound is fine. Not quiet though. Wet is fine although I'm sure there are better wet tires.

Wear is good. Off road is good.

Snow and ice is a joke.

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
48 Posts
Sorry Brucey, I watched your video, and I disagree... Flying down a parking lot and jamming on the brakes does not indicate how a tire does in the winter.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,344 Posts
Sorry Brucey, I watched your video, and I disagree... Flying down a parking lot and jamming on the brakes does not indicate how a tire does in the winter.
Do you have a better way of testing stopping distance?

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
48 Posts
Oh my God Brucey... your tests are really stupid.

**** Man ... Flying down a iced over parking lot and jamming on the brake pedal... You're a frickin' Moron...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,344 Posts
Oh my God Brucey... your tests are really stupid.

**** Man ... Flying down a iced over parking lot and jamming on the brake pedal... You're a frickin' Moron...
So do you know of a better way of measuring stopping distance?

It would be the simplest way to test traction.

Pretty much every winter tire test from Consumer Reports, Tire Rack, etc does the same thing to measure stopping distance.

I honestly felt they were a bit dangerous between the stopping distance doubling and the car sliding on easy turns.

I even bumped a curb driving to film that day because the back end slid out.

In winter conditions the AT3 doesn't compare well to a dedicated winter tire.

Other than that I think the AT3 is a pretty good tire.

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
48 Posts
What you just said is much better. I don't think anybody expects them to rival a full snow tire, especially on glare ice. For normal winter driving, I have found them to be quite good for an A/T tire. The new A/T Trail is even better.

Sorry for being brusque before.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,344 Posts
What you just said is much better. I don't think anybody expects them to rival a full snow tire, especially on glare ice. For normal winter driving, I have found them to be quite good for an A/T tire. The new A/T Trail is even better.

Sorry for being brusque before.
Lol it's cool. I've been called way worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts