Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB Prem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info on these? Gonna need some new tires with the new year and I'm looking to get rid of the contis. I like the Yokohama geolanders but they are a bit spendy seeing as how I do 80-90% of my driving on road. The guy at the tire shop recommended the Pirelli p4 but I I haven't been able to find any information relevant to the outback.
I do the majority of my driving commuting to and from work and trail heads with the occasional dirt road in the middle. I generally don't have to worry about snow, but rain in the monsoon season is a concern, but I also still want to be able to handle snow for the times I want to do some skiing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Limited, Graphite Gray Metallic/Off Black Leather------ 2010 Tribeca 3.6 Limited, Sky Blue Metallic/Slate Gray Leather
102 Posts
I actually just got these Falken tires for my 2011 Outback Limited. I replaced the tires after the original tires had 55,000 miles. They are great tires and made a HUGE difference in road noise, handling, bumps..... everything!!! I drive A LOT so I am always noticing all the small things when it comes to my car, how it handles, sounds, etc... If you haven't already purchased them, go ahead and get them. Hope this helped.
SS

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
These have got to be a Discount tire exclusive version of the 912. they look identical, but that could only be skin deep...

I've had the 912s on two cars and they gave me the claimed 40k miles. I had them on a FWD car and experienced some tramlining on the highway (following the grooves). But on our RWD car, the tires have been fine. In fact, I went with the 612s a couple months ago for the RWD (Infiniti G35). I think the reinforced sidewalls are a bit stiff, but it depends on what aspect ration you get (Check Falken's website). The 60 series for the outback may not have the stiffer sidewalls. My experience is with 50 and 55 series.

When it's time for tires on my OB, I'm leaning toward Michelin Defenders, or something else Michelin. I'm also liking the Yoko YK580 (another Discount exclusive).

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Any snow/ice performance experience on these Falkens? Not sure how they would handle ice. From the pics linked below, the sipping looks roughly equivalent to that on the stock contis. They are about 60% the price of defenders.

Falken Ziex ZE612

·
Registered
2010 OB Prem
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Scot. Thats what I was hoping to hear. I haven't gotten them yet, I have enough tread left to wait till January. But Im right there with you, was able to put 55,000 ish on the contis up to this point. Might even make 60 by Jan, but I definitely want something a little stiffer in the sidewalls that the contis are.

·
Registered
'12 OB 2.5i/CVT Premium
18 Posts
Any snow/ice performance experience on these Falkens? Not sure how they would handle ice. From the pics linked below, the sipping looks roughly equivalent to that on the stock contis. They are about 60% the price of defenders.

Falken Ziex ZE612
I had a set put on my '86 Jetta GLI right before I drove it from Seattle to NY basically following/driving through a vicious snowstorm. I was beyond impressed with the blizzard (almost whiteout) snow/slush handling characteristics on the interstate with semis, traffic and all that highway BS. Granted the size and profile were pretty different... 185/55/14.

I never felt like I lost traction, even in SEVERE crosswinds and side road icy conditions.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Ice and Snow

^The Falkens are now lower priced contenders. Thanks for the snow/ice input.

I drove through a sleet/ice storm south of Gary, Indiana 20 years ago that had every car on the interstate sliding. I was in a 4wd Ford Ranger in 4 with AT tires. Only tires that would have worked in that situation would have had studs on them. It was nasty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts