• Other, Please Specify

Votes: 14 4.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite oil? Do you use petro oil or synthetic? Also if anyone has any experiences or thoughts on this subject please feel free to jump in:D

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Mobil 1 5w30 since 2,200 miles. Nothing but good things to say about the oil, and the cheapest I've found it is at Wally World. Now it comes in handy five quart jugs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great topic ! :D

I was debating oil choices recently for the next service for my Outback and my other car, a Mazda MX-6 V6. I am currently using Castrol Synthetic R 5w30 (or Syntec, as it's known in North America), until I found out is it synthetic blend, not 100% synthetic :mad: There's nothing wrong with it in theory, but I don't want to pay A$65 for 5 litres of hydrocracked mineral oil.

After much research, and spending time over at "bobistheoilguy", I purchased 2 5litre bottles of Motul 8100 E Tech 0w40. This is Group 5, ester based 100% synthetic. The Motul brand has a good rep. in this country and Europe, but I believe it's not very well known in the USA (and expensive, as it is here). It is also used by the Subaru World Rally Team ! :D

Subaru recommend a 5w30 in the owner's manual, but the Motul is a light weight 40w (13.3 cST @ 100 degrees) and it's probably better suited to aussie summers.

I'll let you know how it is as soon and I try it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Doesn't Subaru specify synthetic for the turbo models? If so, I'm wondering what brand/weight the dealers carry for servicing those.

·
Registered
13 Posts
synthetic at 2,200 miles?

I'm rebuilding an ea82 and I had the bright idea that I would run synthetic right off the bat. All the motorheads I mentioned this to flipped out and told me **** no. Standard protocol says you shouldn't run synthetic until your third or fourth oil change. If you swith to earlier, the rings won't seal properly and your engine will be forever plagued with low compression and blow-by problems.

...at least that's what they tell me anyway :p

I've always been curious if anyone has actually compared a car with synthetic introducd early to one that was switched later. I always thought it had a hint of superstition to it....but I waited till 6k on our 2003 outback just in case.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: synthetic at 2,200 miles?

Teasdam said:
I'm rebuilding an ea82 and I had the bright idea that I would run synthetic right off the bat. All the motorheads I mentioned this to flipped out and told me **** no. Standard protocol says you shouldn't run synthetic until your third or fourth oil change. If you swith to earlier, the rings won't seal properly and your engine will be forever plagued with low compression and blow-by problems.

I've always been curious if anyone has actually compared a car with synthetic introducd early to one that was switched later. I always thought it had a hint of superstition to it....but I waited till 6k on our 2003 outback just in case.
I've heard the same also, in my '03 OB I switched to Castrol Semi-Syn at 4500 miles and will change to Mobil 1 full syn at 10,000 miles. I know people who have changed to full syn at 1000 miles and have had no problems. Still as a former mechanic myself, I'd say just wait. Most tell me its optimum to change it anywhere between 10-20,000 miles but the decision is your of course:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: synthetic at 2,200 miles?

Teasdam said:

That was true once, and might still be true depending on your engine. Not sure of the ea82, but if you are rebuilding a older small or big block Chevy you will run dino oil first.

Now consider that Mobil 1 is the factory lubricant on Porsche and Chevy Corvettes.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Let me tell you that I researched it entirely before I did my first oil change @ 2200 miles to synthetic. As you know, the seals need to be set, and certain other components break in better with dino oil. I was told that at my first oil change it would definitely be fine to switch. Third or fourth oil change? You could have up to 15k miles by then, that's getting a little silly. I still have yet to see any harm done to any engine by changing to synthetic before even 1k miles. Everybody talks it but I never have seen/heard any real proof when switching to synthetic even around 1k. Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am a fan of the Amsoil oils. I have been using them for years, but I maybe switching to Neo, as my local agent for Amsoil also sells this brand and he assures me that the diester based oils are the way to go. Unfortunately it is super expensive here in Oz. I may give it a try and see how I go, but I have to wait till my new spec H6 Outback 3.0R is about 10,000kms old and I've only done 5,500kms in the 2.5 months of ownership.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, I think you're right. I do believe they make their engines to the same tolerances, so therefore need the same oil viscosity.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the H6-3.0 is just a 2.0L with 2 more cylinders. I wish they would make an H6 as a bigger version of the 2.5L, just imagine a 3.8L H6!

Even better a 4.0L H8, or even a TRUE 5.0L H8! When I say "TRUE" I am referring to a Mustang with a 4.9L (no its not a TRUE 5.0L) V-8, it can't even round up to being a 5.0L.

Sorry for the slight OT, let us proceed :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
on my race motor i run Mobil 1.. motors build by ROUSH thats what they recomend... i wouldn't agrue with that ;)

i also use valvoline on some of my other cars... thing is i think i use it because of this ;)

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MaverickOutback said:
i also use valvoline on some of my other cars... thing is i think i use it because of this ;)
I don't care for Valvoline... but thank you, thank you very much for those nice pics! :10: I think that first girl is my future ex-wife :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
synthetic oil

Personally I can't see why you'd use dino oil initially, have owned a few BMW's in the past and from 98 on they only change the oil every 15,000 miles or so, motors seem to last very well. Of course engines aren't an exact science, so who knows, maybe there's a benefit having some impurities there early on...:cool:

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: synthetic oil

Jondalar said:
Personally I can't see why you'd use dino oil initially, have owned a few BMW's in the past and from 98 on they only change the oil every 15,000 miles or so, motors seem to last very well. Of course engines aren't an exact science, so who knows, maybe there's a benefit having some impurities there early on...:cool:
The standard oil picks up and deposits all the impurities found in the engine that were left there from the factory better than synthetic oil. Ya know, the metal dust and all sorts of other stuff that can be deposited throughout the engine when it is being built. Petro oil just soaks that stuff up better, that is the only reason I've ever heard. Also most lower dollar engines that use synthetic from the factory probably have different seals and whatnot that are designed to break in better under the useage of synthetic oils. A mainstream company like Subaru would be one that would have those seals that need to adapt, if you will, to the dino oil first before switching to synthetics. I know that Subaru does not use any break in oil like many other companies use as a factory fill in all their new cars so I don't really know in their case. That information I just shared on oils, seals, etc it what I was taught as a mechanic so take it for what its worth.

Without the use of break in oil it would probably be fine to switch to synthetic oil whenever you'd like. Although I'd still reccomend not switching to synthetics on any part of your drivetrain until 10,000 miles :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
synthetic oils

Ahh I see, thanks Cao Cao, I stand enlightened. PS I also forgot to mention that the new BMW's all seem to specify only Mobil 1 to be used in order to get their long 15,000 mile oil change interval.:eek:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
53 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing