Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooooo, I was off-roading with my 2013 outback and I accidentally blew a piston rod馃槀 I鈥檝e been doing a lot of research regarding alternative engine swaps and I鈥檝e got it down to either buying a new stock engine or swapping it for the fa20f. Now I鈥檝e got the 2.5 with the cvt transmission. Will it be an easy swap over or should I just go with the stock engine?

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Reactions: Brucey

Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i 6MT
The cheapest and easiest route would be to get another FB25 motor. While it would be very neat, swapping in an FA20 would be much more intensive than just the engine swap. In short, you would need a whole donor car and to swap everything over, and run into all sorts of expensive issues along the way. I myself frequently ponder such projects and have basically come to the conclusion that it would not be worth the trouble. More power to you, though. I would love to read that swap thread.

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 馃崷The Ice Cream Man馃崷
The cheapest and easiest route would be to get another FB25 motor. While it would be very neat, swapping in an FA20 would be much more intensive than just the engine swap. In short, you would need a whole donor car and to swap everything over, and run into all sorts of expensive issues along the way. I myself frequently ponder such projects and have basically come to the conclusion that it would not be worth the trouble. More power to you, though. I would love to read that swap thread.
I agree, instead of going the FA engine route I would rather source a 3.6L engine and a 5EAT because at least those components were made for application in the Outback platform and have an excellent track record in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts