Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2005 Outback xt that i am considering selling. I don't know how to gauge how much this wagon is worth because of the extensive repairs its going through. Not sure what a fair price is to ask. It is currently in the repair shop having the motor completely rebuilt. From what i gather, a ring-landing failed on a piston so i had a misfire. Its being professionally rebuilt by metric motors in Salt lake City. They have rebuilt the heads, bored out the cylinder walls to accomadate the stronger forged pistons i was recommended, replaced all seals and bearings and valves as needed. The clutch was also replaced, banjo bolt to the new VF40 turbo removed, catless up pipe, new variable cam gear, and perrin turbo inlet tube all being done currently.

Between labor and parts, this has been a $6000 rebuild. The car has 120k miles on it, but brand new strong motor. 5 speed manual. I know Kelly blue book suggests in good condition its worth $9k, but there is no way to take account for the repairs/mods. Any ideas? Thanks for your time in reading this and input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
So i have a 2005 Outback xt that i am considering selling. I don't know how to gauge how much this wagon is worth because of the extensive repairs its going through. Not sure what a fair price is to ask. It is currently in the repair shop having the motor completely rebuilt. From what i gather, a ring-landing failed on a piston so i had a misfire. Its being professionally rebuilt by metric motors in Salt lake City. They have rebuilt the heads, bored out the cylinder walls to accomadate the stronger forged pistons i was recommended, replaced all seals and bearings and valves as needed. The clutch was also replaced, banjo bolt to the new VF40 turbo removed, catless up pipe, new variable cam gear, and perrin turbo inlet tube all being done currently.

Between labor and parts, this has been a $6000 rebuild. The car has 120k miles on it, but brand new strong motor. 5 speed manual. I know Kelly blue book suggests in good condition its worth $9k, but there is no way to take account for the repairs/mods. Any ideas? Thanks for your time in reading this and input.
If it were me, I'd keep it after all that work.

There's no way you'll make up what you paid for the rebuild in value if you sell it, and it sounds like as long as the body is relatively rust-free, tranny is in decent shape, etc. you'll have many more years of relatively trouble-free service out of it.

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Agree, you won't be able to sell it and feel good about recouping those dollars. I'd just drive it at this point.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Confused? I wouldn't think of dumping money into it if I wasn't going to keep. Hang on to it. Like a brand new vehicle

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Autotrader lists an '06 XT with 143k miles in SLC for $12k. It may not fetch that, but your car is worth more given the 0-mile engine with shiny parts.

It's all about the local market, and that was the only listing that came up for an OBXT within 75 miles.

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.