Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, life happens...I'm working too much these days to have 2 cars that constantly need some minor to moderate TLC. It pains my soul, but I'm looking into the possibility of replacing our beloved Kaylee so I only have Mal's neglect to try and keep up with. No set time frame, just starting to look around for a new to us vehicle for wifey.

The basics:
2003 Subaru Outback wagon. Silver and gold two tone exterior, gray cloth interior.
4EAT
163,xxx miles
All Weather Package (heated seats, mirrors, windshield).
Original owner did plenty of audio upgrades*.

The good:
Overall body is sound and paint is in above average shape.
Service up to date, with most records available. I admit, I've lost some between the past several moves.
Full timing belt kit done at 105,000 miles at Subaru dealer.
New NGK plugs last month.
New fuel filter and some hoses this year.
ATF changed at 150,000
Diffs changed at 110,000
Fresh coolant and radiator hoses this year.
New FWE passenger front axle installed recently.
Continental TrueContacts have under 10,000 on them.

The rough:
-She spent 12 years in Chicago, so there's rust underneath. Rear sub frame looks ok, but all hardware under the car is a mess.
-Exhaust and heat shields are in poor shape. No serious leaks, but plenty of patching has been done and she rattles a bit.
-Some rust on lip of back hatch. I've sanded and painted once, but it's coming back. Can only be seen with hatch open.
-All suspension is factory, so struts/front control arms/ball joints are reaching end of service life. She drives fine, no abnormal tire wear. Just feeling a bit worn.
-Front fog lights are cracked, bumper support is rusty and the bolts are frozen. I have a set of fogs, but haven't had the time to find a new bumper support at a junkyard.
-Driver's side head gasket is leaking oil. Not badly, but you should know.
-Most of the audio system is going out. Rear door speakers blew out and I just yanked them. So nothing back there at all right now. Passenger door speaker and tweeter just died. Not blown, but there is a short somewhere and I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. Might be simple, might be a hassle. I honestly dunno.
-She was rear-ended twice in Chicago, no serious damage either time. Bumper cover was replaced twice. Little more body gap than there should be, but only if you look for it.

I can put of photos later this weekend, when my wife and I will actually be home at the same time.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true.
Truth. I'd still take her anywhere tomorrow if need be, but between the noises she shouldn't be making (rattling exhaust) and the noise she should be making (only one currently working speaker), Mal is our camping/road tripper right now. But Kaylee's been to IN, IL, TN, GA, WI, PA, NC, and OH multiple times in the 100,000 miles I've put on her.

The HG leak isn't bad enough to bother me, if it goes bad I'd get it done at 200,000 when timing belt is due. As is, I'm leaking .5 to 1 quart over a 5000 mile oil change interval.

I did put together a shopping cart of Fix All the Mechanical Stuffs on RockAuto:
-Front end kit (control arms, tie rods, ball joints).
-Complete exhaust from front pipe through muffler including new cats.
-New KYB struts, mounts, bellows.

And it comes out to the mid $1300's shipped in parts.
Could be plenty cheaper if: one used cheaper struts than KYB and someone with welding tools could weld in new pipe (I have the clamp on patches where places have been cut out) and likely tack weld the heat shields back into shape (I'm just using hose clamps).

It boils down to I can't do most of this work myself and I'd be looking at $3000-$5000 to get it all fixed at a shop, which I'm having a hard time justifying on a car that is worth not that much at all. That said I don't wanna just neglect stuff until she falls apart on me either, she deserves better than that.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
It boils down to I can't do most of this work myself and I'd be looking at $3000-$5000 to get it all fixed at a shop, which I'm having a hard time justifying on a car that is worth not that much at all. That said I don't wanna just neglect stuff until she falls apart on me either, she deserves better than that.
I agree. A new owner will love her, and stroke her and wipe her down with a fine chamois and curse her undercarriage. And love the brand as a result.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics @Brucey

Side. Driver's rear. Drivers rear dog leg. Passenger rear. Passenger rear dog leg. Engine compartment. Driver's front. Passenger front. Fog light brackets.

Attachments

Reactions: Brucey

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear diff and driveshaft. Dash with no warning lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Nice looking ride. My 03 Foz spent time in MY and OH and is rusty on the bottom too.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking ride. My 03 Foz spent time in MY and OH and is rusty on the bottom too.
Thanks. She's been my baby for the past 9 years and 100,000 miles. Actually kinda filthy right now (I love silver cars) as I haven't given her the typical summer waxing and detailing she normally gets.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like Kaylee will have a new home in @Brucey's neck of the woods once an acceptable replacement is found.

Wifey and I have feelings about this. Kaylee was "our first car" as a couple. She brought us 650 miles home 12 hours after purchasing her for a family surprise and has never left us stranded. She's been from Chicago to TN, Gettysburg, Ohio, Indiana, and many point in between since 2008 over the past 100,000 miles. She's never let me down but I don't have the means to keep her running the way she deserves. She's tired but with some love she's keep going for many more miles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,851 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,851 Posts
No I'm buying both.
...Demo Derby,...or Enduro?

(demo derby is open parking lot style,....enduro is circle track style).

I think we could organize that as a pay per view event.

and Little Red has the advantage being pre dented for strength,...and possessed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,851 Posts

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Honestly at this point it's my goal to get every one I know to drive a gen 2.
Wait a minute. Now I won't be driving a 2nd gen. I still have my 3rd and the new toy named Kuro (cur-ew). Japanese for black.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,851 Posts
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!
what,...your a expert at repairing such beasts. :nerd:

everyone says the 3800 is a great engine....ready for a million miles,
( some dlck mounted it sideways for front wheel drive,...making it hard to work on, but these never need work,

....just add a remote oil filter and siphon up for a change).

$300 up front for the buy, $1000 for a trans that is known to work........:spend:

...and then I am sure it will make it back and forth to the grocery store.. ...imagine putting 250,000 more miles on one.

getting consumed by those comfy seats. :hide:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.