Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have what I believe is a failing brake band and I am debating whether or not to get a master rebuild kit and rebuild the tranny myself, get a used one, or just buy another Subaru (this one does have 316k after all). So I'm putting out a feeler. If anyone has one laying in the garage or knows of where I could potentially find one within 150 mile radius of Allentown PA, I'd be greatly appreciative. Was hoping my shift problems were a stuck valve body, so I ran some BG quick clean thru the system and changed the fluid and filter. Helped a bit and the car shifts much smoother once the fluid warms up, but still doesnt want to shift 2-3 on first drive of the day. Coupled with the brass shavings in the pan when I did the fluid....Catastrophic failure may be eminent.

Prefer something already pulled that I can load right into the OB. I don't have the necessary tools, nor do I have the desire to pull a tranny (unless I abso-frickin-lutely have to).

Shoot me a PM with price, condition, mileage, and location.

Thanks!

-B

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
I have one with 125k from a 97 obw limited. $150 plus freight (or a trip down to TN) gets it. Not pulled but can be waitinmg on you when you get here.

Car had no motor when I got it (previous owner pulled it to fix/replace but never got around to it, I bought it for a parts car) so I can't vouch for its driveability but I have no reason to suspect it's bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump. I'll keep ya in mind. TN is a bit further than I'd like to travel, however it may be possible. Price is pretty fair for mileage. The only concern I have is the unknown status of whether its driveable or not.

Anyone else have anything laying around? Really starting to ponder the idea of parting the car and buying something else, which is a shame because I love my OB. Its the AWD that does it for me ;)

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Just ran the freight. . up to 300lbs delivered to a business addy with forklift or dock at that zip is $138 (residential delivery with liftgate will be significantly higher). My guess is the trans on a pallet weighs about that. . .so around $300 total gets it.

I've no reason to suspect the trans. I'll gamble the price if the trans if you wanna take a chance on it. If it doesn't work, keep it and I'm out the price of the trans (which I wouldn't get much for at the scrapyard anyway) and you're only out the price of the freight. . .and your time to R&R it of course.

Hard to find these with much lower miles on them. . . they haven't built them in over a decade, after all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
lockmedic
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing