Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB, 2.5i Limited
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 3 years we have seriously downsized our vehicles. The 2012 Outback is exactly what I was looking for (and more) - the only time I knew I was going to miss the room we had been accustomed to was when I took the family camping. When I saw these beauties, I jumped all over it. They are called SPACE Trailers. I was able to rent one here from a local rental place, to try it out for a little over a week and see how we liked it.

I took the kids and the dog out to a state park about two hours north of home. It was nice to load up the trailer, leaving the OB relatively clutter-free. I was also able to load up the top of the trailer with the bikes. (For shorties like me, this is a huge deal!) After we got home from that adventure, we turned right around and hauled the trailer up north about 4-hours (sans bikes this time) to a cabin on the Iron Range for a few days.

Both my husband I drove it (he drove the entire 4-hours on the way to the cabin), and we were both surprised at the ability of the OB (2.5) to pull the trailer. Passing was not a problem, MPG's were hovering around 26-27, and our stuff stayed dry through some rain we passed through.

I know that I've seen others post about trailer options here and thought that other like-minded, OB-loving people might like to know about these.

Here's the website & some pics of our outings:

The Affordable Lightweight Sports Trailer for Camping, Hauling, Hunting | SPACE Trailers

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Nice. I've been thinking about a trailer like this.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Really nice trailer! How much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Over the past 3 years we have seriously downsized our vehicles. The 2012 Outback is exactly what I was looking for (and more) - the only time I knew I was going to miss the room we had been accustomed to was when I took the family camping. When I saw these beauties, I jumped all over it. They are called SPACE Trailers. I was able to rent one here from a local rental place, to try it out for a little over a week and see how we liked it.

I took the kids and the dog out to a state park about two hours north of home. It was nice to load up the trailer, leaving the OB relatively clutter-free. I was also able to load up the top of the trailer with the bikes. (For shorties like me, this is a huge deal!) After we got home from that adventure, we turned right around and hauled the trailer up north about 4-hours (sans bikes this time) to a cabin on the Iron Range for a few days.

Both my husband I drove it (he drove the entire 4-hours on the way to the cabin), and we were both surprised at the ability of the OB (2.5) to pull the trailer. Passing was not a problem, MPG's were hovering around 26-27, and our stuff stayed dry through some rain we passed through.

I know that I've seen others post about trailer options here and thought that other like-minded, OB-loving people might like to know about these.

Here's the website & some pics of our outings:

The Affordable Lightweight Sports Trailer for Camping, Hauling, Hunting | SPACE Trailers
Nice - very similar to ours and about the same size but ours turns into a tent trailer also.
SubaruOutback.org Member Galleries - Message

Tent
SubaruOutback.org Member Galleries - Message

I agree with you the size and the ability to haul gear make this type of trailer idea FANTASTIC! WE love ours and can't say enough good things about it. Perfect size for the OB also.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Nice! My FIL owns an aluminum welding shop. Maybe I can persuade him into making an insert for my 4x8 trailer. If I convince him it's for the kids he might be willing lol.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
From the website, it looks like around $3k when you add options.
We just take the "Beverly Hillbillies" approach and put all that stuff on the roof.
The trailer keeps us from being able to use the 4 bike rack on the hitch.
Just did a run to the Mountains of NC fully loaded. Got about 21 mpg (alot of uphill) and running about 75 to 80 on the flats. The outback is amazingly stable and quiet at that speed. The 3.6 would have been nice on that trip.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
New 4.5 month old put a hold on our camping this summer. But last summer we did some car camping with the trailer. What really shocked I and the wife were the large number of Uhaul trailers in the camp ground. I'm not kidding at one point every other campsite had a Uhaul trailer in it! Having smaller vehicles and going camping with all the REI and Cabella's camping stuff has just about everyone using trailers on camping trips. I really can't blame them given you can bring everything and all the toys and bikes for the kids and have a fun time and still have a car for the rest of the year that gets good mileage and is practical.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
There are a number of companies making cool little trailers like this. It's too bad they cost so much. You can get an enclosed 5x8' trailer that is 4 to 5 feet tall inside for about $1,800. If demand was higher for these little trailers, I'm sure the cost would go down. I think there are more people discovering the advantages of having a trailer hitch on a small car. I am always amazed in Europe, where about 1 in 4 compact cars has a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 premium CVT
194 Posts
There are a number of companies making cool little trailers like this. It's too bad they cost so much. You can get an enclosed 5x8' trailer that is 4 to 5 feet tall inside for about $1,800. If demand was higher for these little trailers, I'm sure the cost would go down. I think there are more people discovering the advantages of having a trailer hitch on a small car. I am always amazed in Europe, where about 1 in 4 compact cars has a trailer hitch.
No kidding. I rent a 4x8 trailer from uhaul for $15/day. That's so cheap it's hard to justify thousands on a trailer.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I think there are more people discovering the advantages of having a trailer hitch on a small car.
My dad has one on his Forester and bought a trailer. He also has an old F150, but 9 times out of 10 he uses the Forester and a trailer. It's much more convinient and much easier to load. I got him hooked when I stored my trailer at my parents house for a year and he had free use. He put a hitch on his van and used the heck out of it. He basically keeps the truck to take into the woods and haul firewood.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
My dad has one on his Forester and bought a trailer. He also has an old F150, but 9 times out of 10 he uses the Forester and a trailer. It's much more convinient and much easier to load. I got him hooked when I stored my trailer at my parents house for a year and he had free use. He put a hitch on his van and used the heck out of it. He basically keeps the truck to take into the woods and haul firewood.
My dad just bought his first luxury sports sedan G35X top of the line with the rosewood dash etc. He has his old 99 Explorer with 220,000 miles on it just about everything is worn out if one thing breaks the whole truck is basically toast. Now that he has had the car for about a month and gone camping twice with the old truck. He has talked to me about a light gear trailer idea which I suggested a few months back. LOL

Very basic Harbor Freight trailer with a rack on it to rack a 16ft canoe and bike trays for bicycles - then under those a simple space to put plastic bins which contain the usual stuff tent- sleeping bags - etc. Last week he mentioned to me that my idea had him thinking if that were sitting in his 3rd spot in the garage his camping gear would not only be organized but he could go at the drop of a trailer hitch on the car and be off and running. HA HA

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but who manufactures these?
If you're talking about the trailer in the subiesailor post, his is a Lifetime tent trailer. They're sold at buylifetime.com and I believe they've also been seen in Costco's.

As a side note, the current version at buylifetime.com is slightly redesigned from what subiesailor has, but I imagine the quality of the materials and fit/finish is still top notch. I've got my eye on getting one at some point.

jamrogie

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
If you're talking about the trailer in the subiesailor post, his is a Lifetime tent trailer. They're sold at buylifetime.com and I believe they've also been seen in Costco's.

As a side note, the current version at buylifetime.com is slightly redesigned from what subiesailor has, but I imagine the quality of the materials and fit/finish is still top notch. I've got my eye on getting one at some point.

jamrogie
Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts