Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight when i got home and came to a very low speed and started turning in to a parking spot my 01 out back started stalling out its a 2.5.

any ideas what it could be??
just had timing belt, water pump, head gaskets, and rear baffle changed 900 miles ago

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
was it a 'jerkiness' felt in the car? or did the rpms actually drop?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was it a 'jerkiness' felt in the car? or did the rpms actually drop?
rpms started going up and down its hard to explain, i turned in at a creep and the rpms started going up and down, until i gave it gas.

not sure what it could have been but today i changed the pcv valve and fuel filter. its done it be for but when i had the ac on. this time i didnt have it on

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think we may need more symptoms and clues to narrow anything down. When it "started stalling out", did it completely stall, or just threaten to stall? Have you tried restarting it since? Does it make a new noise that it hasn't made before?
only when i slowed down and started to turn, it did not stall all the way out.
it didnt do it at all today

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
rpms started going up and down its hard to explain, i turned in at a creep and the rpms started going up and down, until i gave it gas.

not sure what it could have been but today i changed the pcv valve and fuel filter. its done it be for but when i had the ac on. this time i didnt have it on
This sounds very much like a O2 sensor that's gone bad. There is one located on each side of the cat converter. When an O2 sensor went bad on my Civic on a warm afternoon, it would cough and sputter at low speeds and threaten to stall, but never would entirely die. Once I gave it some gas, it would do ok, but was still slow to respond. The next morning, when it was much cooler, the car worked much better like it had healed itself (denser air perhaps?). But by the warm afternoon the problem was back again.

But with my Civic there was the associated check engine light at the same time. Has your Outback given a CEL yet?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This sounds very much like a O2 sensor that's gone bad. There is one located on each side of the cat converter. When an O2 sensor went bad on my Civic on a warm afternoon, it would cough and sputter at low speeds and threaten to stall, but never would entirely die. Once I gave it some gas, it would do ok, but was still slow to respond. The next morning, when it was much cooler, the car worked much better like it had healed itself (denser air perhaps?). But by the warm afternoon the problem was back again.

But with my Civic there was the associated check engine light at the same time. Has your Outback given a CEL yet?
yes it comes on sometimes for the cat. i always clear it at advanced auto

1 - 7 of 7 Posts