Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently changing the head gaskets on my 99 OBW. I decided to go with the Felpro MLS. The problem I had is that they come in a kit with all the other gaskets and sell as a PT-2 or PT-3 and nobody had an answer as to which one I needed.
I contacted Felpro directly and they emailed me a PDF explaining the difference. The only difference is in the valve cover gasket. Mine is a PT-3 which has a wider base or flange on the side going into the valve cover.
If you look at the attached diagram you'll see a hand-written diagram. Imagine that as if you cut the gasket in half and was looking at the cut end.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
I'm not sure if you're asking a question..it seems that you've figured out that it's PT-3 for your car?

I did a little digging on this and found not much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, I didn't have a question. I just had a hard time figuring out whether to order the PT-2 or PT-3 so I posted Felpro's response here to help anyone else that might be looking for it.
I couldn't find any #'s or identifiers on my valve covers.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Oh cool, good to know! Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, while I had the Felpro rep on the phone I asked him if they had an official opinion on whether or not to use the Permatex Copper spray on their gaskets. He said the Felpro MLS gaskets have a teflon coating and in a perfect world, you wouldn't need anything else. But if you feel you have imperfections in your head or block, they do not recommend against it.

I came away with the feeling that he was telling me to use it, because you do not mill the block even if you mill the heads.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yea, I did not use copper spray with my Fel-Pro MLS gaskets. I received conflicting information; some people said it was okay to use, others said that they're designed to go in dry. But you have the word straight from the horse's mouth, so I'd be more inclined to believe it.

I did have the heads resurfaced by a shop (they weren't really out of spec). The block I cleaned and prepped myself, and I was very careful with it. Still, the few hours I spend on it accomplished nothing compared to what a machine shop could do in a few minutes. But I wasn't prepared to get the block professionally resurfaced too. In any event, mine aren't leaking yet. I have high hopes for them!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I considered dry, but after talking to him I decided to use it. I'm also using it on my exhaust gaskets and the pipes themselves. They're fairly corroded with age.

I just got the last of my parts from UPS today, the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc. I have it sitting on the cherry picker now. All I've got to do is change the rear seal and put the updated oil separator on the back and she's ready to install. I hope and believe I have everything right. I'm looking forward to another 150,000 with no problems or leaks.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
sometimes you can open a Fel Pro (or Beck Arnley) headgasket and it'll have the Subaru FUJI logo's stamped right on them. but i don't think always...so they must be outsourcing some of their stuff or having multiple runs....

so the aftermarket verses Subaru discussion is more complex than black or white.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts