Subaru Outback Forums banner

Fender liner vs firewall for wire pulling

249 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Overlandlouisiana
I’m baaaack with more wiring questions.

I’m very reluctant to go through the firewall grommet to pull in an auxbeam switch wire. What say you about going through the fender liner into the cabin?

I have searched for instructions and pictures without real success.

Can anyone point to some or even post your own?

much appreciated!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,872 Posts
If it's just a few wires or even thick cables it's not too difficult. I use an old antenna which has a sharpened tip to poke through grommets. A coat hanger will substitute. Care must be taken to avoid poking into looms or anything that can't get nicked. Tape the wires to your wire fish. Lubricate the fat part you taped up so the wires slide through the grommet.

· Registered
69 Posts
I used a tire plug cutter/filer to make the hole in my firewall grommet and pulled a 0 gauge cable through it. The grommet is very tough and I poked a fairly small hole, required me and another person to push from one side and pull the cable from a coathanger wire through the other.

· Registered
2023 Outback Wilderness
5 Posts
Bite the bullet and go through the firewall. Your chances of getting water into the car from the firewall are much less and you can also access it easy enough to seal your work properly after the surgery. Proceed….just be cautious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts