Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone!

I have a few questions about the new 2005 Outback.

I went to the dealer the other day and they only had a 2005 OB XT Limited.

My choices are the 2005 OB XT or the 2005 OB 2.5i.

But here is my problem. I can not find a dealer around here that has a 2.5i wagon in stock and I do not know how "peppy" or fast it is compared to other cars.

Wuld the 2.5i engine have the peppiness or speed of a V6 in a Ford Taurus/Pontiac Grand Am?

And I was wondering do you folks think the XT is worth the extra money for the speed, lack of fuel mileage compared to 2.5i, power passenger seat, leather wrapped steerng wheel and the 6 CD HU, and dual climate contral?

Also, does the 2005 2.5i come with Weatherband and how cold is the A/C in the Outbacks. The other day when I had it on, it did not seem very cold.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rivalred said:
do you folks think the XT is worth the extra
Yes, every single member of this board thinks the turbo engine is worth the price :D *lol*

If you can't find an 05 2.5i to test, try an 04 with the 4-cylinder. This engine hasn't changed much for the 05 models, & the car weight has decreased slightly, so driving an 04 would give you a close idea of the so-so power in the non-turbo engine.

After all these years, I think weatherband is gone from the Outback stereo. That cars101.com page that was recently linked showed weatherband (and OnStar!) as items specifically gone from the 05. I can't find mention of either on Subaru's site.

Speaking of audio stuff, I can't find McIntosh mentioned there either. bummer :(

Happy car shopping!

·
Administrator
4,268 Posts
Re: Re: Few Questions

MrEd said:
Yes, every single member of this board thinks the turbo engine is worth the price :D *lol*
That is certainly true, I'm the official spokesman for that angle :D

Rival if you want some serious performance than the XT is a sure bet as I've driven it. I've also driven the 2.5i, although it is lackluster in comparison to the XT still it is a decent improvement over last years base Outback. It will move around fairly well although acceleration is only mediocre as best as this is a fairly large vehicle. Its not bad but it is certainly not a fun car like the XT is ;)

Personally, to anyone shopping for a 2005 2.5i Outback, I'd actually recommend that you consider a 2004 H6-3.0 Outback if the XT doesn't suit your tastes or pocketbook. Overall they're great cars with more power than the new 2.5i's. I'd bet you could get one for a similiar if not better price than a 05 2.5i and the only thing you'd have to put up with is the uninspiring transmission. You also have to consider than just about every dealer has quite a few of those on their lot and are looking to move them to make way for the 2005's so you'd likely get a great deal.

I'm by no means trying to steer you away from getting a 2005 if thats what you want but just reminding you of some options you may want to consider. If you need any advice or have any questions I'm just the man to help you out.

BTW, you're 22 too? Wow us young guys are gonna take this board from all you old fogies soon enough :p

·
Registered
665 Posts
The dealership that I got my outback in had at least 8 2.5is there. I guess I'm biased (I just bought a 2.5XT) but yeah, I think the XT is worth it over the base 2.5i. I personally think the XT limited though is not really worth it over the base XT, unless you feel you must have the cool dual pane moonroof or leather seating or auto climate control.

I did not drive the 2.5i though cause I knew I would rather have the Turbo.

I have auto climate control on my E36 328i that I traded in and I found myself never using it that much. I have no problem turning the fan lower when I get too cold or too hot. I mean, it's not like I'm living in the car and need a thermostat to control the temp.

I too wish Subaru would come with the weatherband. As a hiker/biker/skier/kayaker, I spend a lot of my free time out of doors and I have a NOAA weatherband handheld radio but having it in the car is a cool idea. My old BMW had it on the stock radio (OEM by Alpine), its nice for it to have it on the new one.

However, I couldn't check because the car I test drove was so new, the radio fuse wasn't installed yet...

Jay

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with the others, to get the XT or not depends on what you want to us your OutBack for. If you feel you need to have more power for ... say passing, then the XT or 3.0R would be a better choice. My '02 n/a, 2.5 liter 4 cyl. performs just fine for me.

I think whichever you choose will be fine.

My Mom is going back to Subaru in July!!! Her last one was a 1982 4wd wagon w/dual range trans. She will be getting my sister's '00 OB wagon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,

I found a dealer about 40 miles away that had 2 2.5i Wagons. I test drove one and it was not bad. Very smooth and seem to get up in speed fairly well for a 4 cylinder.

Then I test drove a Legacy GT Wagon. The dealer had no XT's in stock. I must say, the Legacy took off in no time at all.

$5,000 dollars is a big difference from the XT to the 2.5i. It will take a long time for me to make the decision.

And as for me getting a 2004 that will not work. I am 6'4 and when I san in one the service department had to come and pry my fatt but out the drivers seat (joke), but it was a tight fit. This is why the 2005 Outback with the more room is great. The Forester XT does not have enough leg room (my legs hit the dash).

Another question, the Outbacks are built in Indiana? The salesman told me if I ordered one it would only take ike 6-8 weeks which is not bad. For some reason I thought the Outbacks were built in Japan. Is it true they are built in Indiana????

And thank you everyone for answering my questions. I will have more.. :D

·
Administrator
4,268 Posts
Rivalred said:
$5,000 dollars is a big difference from the XT to the 2.5i. It will take a long time for me to make the decision.

And as for me getting a 2004 that will not work. I am 6'4 and when I san in one the service department had to come and pry my fatt but out the drivers seat (joke), but it was a tight fit. This is why the 2005 Outback with the more room is great. The Forester XT does not have enough leg room (my legs hit the dash).

Another question, the Outbacks are built in Indiana? The salesman told me if I ordered one it would only take ike 6-8 weeks which is not bad. For some reason I thought the Outbacks were built in Japan. Is it true they are built in Indiana????

And thank you everyone for answering my questions. I will have more.. :D
Well Rival time is on your side with your decision, you'd probably be better off waiting til you can find just what you want anyway. Let the initial buzz cool off and you're more likely to find a better deal although hopefully the buzz won't wear off :D

I understand about the 2004's, I myself have a 2003 and am 6 feet even. I fit just perfectly into it, I could only hope to squeeze into a Forester or Impreza and could never get myself comfortable in either hence my choice of an Outback.

Yes the Outbacks are built in Indiana, Layfayette to be specific. The factory is only about an 1 1/2 hours away from my hometown so I feel good that I'm so close to home with Subaru :p The only Subaru's sold in America that are from Japan are from the Impreza line, everything else is built in America.

Your questions are always welcome here, bring'em on anytime :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hero Boots said:

Well Rival time is on your side with your decision, you'd probably be better off waiting til you can find just what you want anyway. Let the initial buzz cool off and you're more likely to find a better deal although hopefully the buzz won't wear off :D

I understand about the 2004's, I myself have a 2003 and am 6 feet even. I fit just perfectly into it, I could only hope to squeeze into a Forester or Impreza and could never get myself comfortable in either hence my choice of an Outback.

Yes the Outbacks are built in Indiana, Layfayette to be specific. The factory is only about an 1 1/2 hours away from my hometown so I feel good that I'm so close to home with Subaru :p The only Subaru's sold in America that are from Japan are from the Impreza line, everything else is built in America.

Your questions are always welcome here, bring'em on anytime :D
Thanks Hero. :)

I might be waiting some time. The dealer only budged like $400 dollars on the XT price. But there was no negotiating. I just asked and he said he will see what we can do. I could prob get more off if I tried, but I have a feeling the more XT's that show up and flood the lots, the more chance I will have to get that XT closer to invoice. :)

But the OB shows a lot of promise... That is for sure!!

Now to price extended warranties. :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
I guess it might be too late but I would check to see if you can join some of the sponsor organizations, therefore there really is no haggling and you get discounts on the extended warentee too (aka Subaru's Added Security plan). Both IMBA (mountain biking) and the ACA (American Canoe Assoc) are only 2 of MANY organizations that allow you to go through the VIP program. I know IMBA requires you to be a member for at least 6 months but even if you're not a biker, it's not that much for a 1 year membership.

As far as "added security" you can also negotiate this, have them throw it in with the deal, you don't need to buy it from the dealership you bought the vehicle from so negotiate, ask them to price match so-and-so dealership in Kalamazoo Michigan or whereever...

I guess if you want the height, the XT should be higher head clearence than any of the Limiteds because the Limiteds all come with a moonroof which lowers the roofline.

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Jay H
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing