Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Satin White Pearl 2009 OBW 5M, Red 2003 OBW 5M, 2002 BMW 325Ci, 1999 Corvette C5
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this slimy film on my windshield that appears every morning. Only started once I got to Texas where the humidity is even higher than NJ. It is really hard to see for the first 15 minutes of driving. So, does anyone know of a product or method of getting the windshield free of this? It seems to be at the thickest right in my line of sight (of course). Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Nothinr you can really do about it. Its outgassing from the plastics in the dashbaord. Some cars are worse then others, and yes local enviorment affects it a lot.

niper

·
Registered
Satin White Pearl 2009 OBW 5M, Red 2003 OBW 5M, 2002 BMW 325Ci, 1999 Corvette C5
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its on the outside. The wipers seem to remove it for a short time.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
greuvin said:
Its on the outside. The wipers seem to remove it for a short time.
On the outside, if the wipers remove it dont worry about it, i get that every morning. That can be air pollution, tree sex, etc. Just clean the windows with a window cleaner. And remeber things like Rainx will add to the film.

nipper

·
Registered
'99 Outback
90 Posts
I have the same thing here in St Louis...and had the same issues when I lived in Texas and other humid climates.

Its condensation...nothing more. I run the rear defroster to clear the back window and the wipers up front to clear the windshield.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I have only encountered it in very humid climates/conditions (Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Illinois, Hawaii, England) and have noticed that after a few miles of driving, it seems to clear...or blow itself away.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,093 Posts
Had the same issue in Houston.

Just condensation. Use wipers to get rid of it. If the windshield is lower temp than the dew point, you'll get more as you drive.

Try briefly running the defroster with the temp set warm to get the glass temp above the dew point. Don't need the AC to do this, unless you start getting fogging on the inside as well.

Seems weird to run the heater in warm humid climes, but it works.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wilsonhp said:
Had the same issue in Houston.

Just condensation. Use wipers to get rid of it. If the windshield is lower temp than the dew point, you'll get more as you drive.

Try briefly running the defroster with the temp set warm to get the glass temp above the dew point. Don't need the AC to do this, unless you start getting fogging on the inside as well.

Seems weird to run the heater in warm humid climes, but it works.

Thanks for your suggestion wilsonhp. I'll give it a shot tomorrow am.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,184 Posts
There are threads here discussing my favorite auto glass stripper. It takes off buildup of waxes and tars, etc.

See if you can retrieve the info.

Brian

·
Registered
08 Outback 2.5i
257 Posts
I get this in Houston often enough.

I've noticed that briefly running the defrost on warm, like wilsonhp suggested, takes care of it for the entire trip (most of the time). Keeping the windshield clean helps big time. Good wiper blades are a must (you can also make sure the blades are clean in the mornings).

But yeah, in N. Houston, I get the kind of stuff that (even when the car was in the garage before leaving) using (new) wipers on it doesn't help that much, just smears it or it re-appears. The defroster, however, takes care of it pretty quickly.

On hot mornings, you may as well run the AC (dash or floor, of course) to cool the car and deal with the muck until the engine gets warm. Then you can give it a brief warm-defrost 'treatment' in relative comfort. The condensation will usually be gone before you start to get a little too warm in there from the defrost. Running the defrost while waiting for the motor to get warm would cause you to be less comfortable -- it would take longer to clear the muck because you are running the blower across the heater core (cooling the motor) AND you won't be cooling your body in the meantime with the AC (which does not need a warm engine to work properly) --- Its hard to know if that makes any sense at all --- but I think you'll see what I'm saying.

Sometimes it just won't come off but you can usually minimize it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,939 Posts
I grew up in FL, and this was very typical. Like others have mentioned cranking the Defroster works well. I have also noticed that the windshield wipers don't do a very good job of clearing this stuff off the windshield, it just comes right back. So, the suggestion about the windshield polish is a good one too. The cleaner your windshield, and the better you wipers, the better they do at wiping the condensation off for that 15 minutes before the windshield gets up to temperature.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been using the hot defrost with great success. Works like a charm. Just 5 minutes of hot air to the WS and then back to normal cooling is the ticket.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV
409 Posts
Hey guys! I have an 11 outback and I think I have the same problem.....usually happens in mornings and when it rains. However, when the windshield is dry...it looks great! When I use the wipers, bam! You see these streak/waves spots whatever they are called. After I turn on the defrost on hot-warm, it goes away (after a while). I got scared when it rained at night and this film showed up, my visiblility suffered. What gives? What is this? Can I upload a pic of this? I took one of when it was happening.

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
try cleaning your windows with a vinegar-water solution, about 1 cup in 1 gallon every now and then.

removes hard water spots and cuts through the crap.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.