Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 18 months of shopping on and off, there is an Outback in my driveway. My Passat TDI was bought back by VW earlier this summer and this is our replacement vehicle. It took quite awhile to solve the 2.5 vs 3.6 riddle and landed on the 3.6r. It's smooth power delivery along with the sound and ride improvements of the 2018 model year was just too intoxicating. A year ago, we almost bought a new 2016 and a couple months ago very close on a 2017. We are very glad we wanted for the 2018, mainly because of the Dark Blue Pearl color. I think the improvements to noise reduction is noticeable too - at least this seems to be a very quiet vehicle. Its only been 24hrs but we really love this vehicle - quiet, smooth, comfortable and confident. Two very minor dislikes so far. I find the ride a little on the "floaty" side (my wife would disagree - she loves it). That should be taken in the context that my two previous cars were German, the Passat TDI and a BMW 330i. We also own a 2016 Ford Mustang - its certainly not "floaty". The second little annoyance for me is that to flip between the A and B trip gauge, you cannot do it from the steering wheel, you have to reach for a button on the dash (a little obsession of mine, comparing the current trip fuel mileage to the overall - happens after owning a TDI :wink2:)

Next steps, getting protection film on the hood and lights. Shopping for some snow tires before the white stuff arrives. And getting a hitch on it before next spring.
Original-04989 by bboshart, on Flickr

·
Registered
Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
360 Posts
Congrats on the new ride - love the dark blue.
Keep us posted with mods and overall impressions.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Fair warning about the dark blue: at night, people may try to merge into it when they're in smaller, lower cars!

I wonder if black would have the same result... Pondering putting LED running lights on the side for that reason after last night :eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair warning about the dark blue: at night, people may try to merge into it when they're in smaller, lower cars!

I wonder if black would have the same result... Pondering putting LED running lights on the side for that reason after last night :eek:
I hear ya. Somehow its darker than black at night :grin2:

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
I find that most people coming from tdis can't stomach the 2.5.

Same for us. And here's the thing. The 2.5 has more hp than our tdis. The torque curve though. It's just absent. There's just no highway roll on throttle response.

As for fuel tracking - better give that one up. Half the mpg as our tdis is going to be tough to swallow, no matter how much you like the car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Same here, Passat TDI (still have it but going back) got a Outback as it's replacement.

Miss that torque driving up a windy mountain road in 2nd gear between 15-25moh for sure !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for fuel tracking - better give that one up. Half the mpg as our tdis is going to be tough to swallow, no matter how much you like the car.
So I went into this eyes wide open. We budget our expenses and the fuel budget has been adjusted accordingly. I'll still track fuel - the goal has just shifted. My VW experience was not a good one - within 4,000km the turbo blew, in later years followed by a bad injector, exhaust flap, ad-blue heater, NOx sensor, sway bar links-twice. Repairs like that can quickly nullify any fuel savings. I realize that is not everyone's VW experience though. When purchasing the Outback and they were making the sales pitch for extended warranty, they showed the costs of various repairs. Fuel pump - $400, which is quite humorous for an experienced VW owner - so I mentioned to the salesperson the cost of replacing a TDI fuel pump :surprise: I liked the TDI but given my experience, being concerned about expensive repairs was tough to swallow. BTW, my BMW 330i - zero repairs in 130,000km.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
2009 335i. Two hpfp before 35k. Leased car. Got rid of it in 2011.

2011 tdi wagon. 125k, two glow plugs, plus routine maintenance.

2015 tdi wagon. 66k routine maintenance.

I wouldn't trust a gas vw though. Not these days.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2009 335i. Two hpfp before 35k. Leased car. Got rid of it in 2011.

2011 tdi wagon. 125k, two glow plugs, plus routine maintenance.

2015 tdi wagon. 66k routine maintenance.

I wouldn't trust a gas vw though. Not these days.
Yes, I think the 2012-2104 Passat TDIs were just lemons. I spent too much time looking at glowing engine lights. My son-in-law had great luck with his Jettas. To your point, everyone makes good ones and bad ones.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring
105 Posts
Lovely vehicle! I also came from VW TDI. I have the 2017 sibling version of this and I see a few cosmetic changes - new grill, no silver thing under the grill. Looks great! It's interesting that Subaru choose to keep the 2018 Touring fairly similar to 2017 (e.g. same wheels vs. the other models with changes). I'm sure the other interior and head unit/stereo changes are awesome. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess Subaru has captured a lot of us former tdi drivers. I had a 2012 Passat tdi, 60k miles and zero issues. 45mpg. I opted for the 2.5 and I am very pleased. Has enough power/speed for me and I actually think they did a great job on the cvt tranny. I had a 6 speed manual in the Passat and I am glad I'm done with shifting gears. Only reason I didn't get auto in Passat was because of the 30k mile maint required on them.

Anyway, congratulations on your new ride. Only thing I have found really annoying is the radio always comes on after every restart and the puny little horn. I wish the mileage was more like my old tdi, but those days are gone. Cry cry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts