Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After lurking in the Gen5 section for the better part of a year, I finally did the deal and traded my '11 OB Limited 2.5i for a custom-ordered '18 Touring 3.6R. Some comparisons and other early observations:

• Between the 6 cylinders, the improved CVT, and changes to the chassis and sound insulation, it's so smooth and quiet that instead of feeling like an upgrade from the '11 it feels like a completely different car – actually feels like I've moved up a class.
  • Stickering at just over $40K with the factory-installed options, it puts me in new pricing territory (guess you can't get that “new class” feel without paying for it!).

• This Gen5s must sit higher than my Gen4 as I found the first time I washed it. What I used to be able to reach across to get at when doing the roof I now have to stretch up on my toes for. I also had to adjust the tennis ball in the garage. :)
  • Wilderness Green looks much better in person than in photos: darker and richer.
  • The Java Brown interior is a knockout!
  • I mainly wanted the heated wheel, but find that I like the other Touring trim touches such as the aero roof rails and lower body bright-work.
  • Sure are a lot of things that make it beep/chime at you.
  • One thing that doesn't beep that I wish did was when a vehicle's in your blind spot and you put your signal on to change lanes. Yes, it blinks, but I'd really like an audible signal (used to it on our Mazda).
  • Many times I've wished the idiot stopped in front of me looking down at his phone had the “Vehicle Ahead Moved” feature. Maybe with a klaxon horn hooked up!
  • I'll miss the rear underfloor storage area that my '11 had as well as space in the glove box. Also the cargo cover is harder to stow than on the '11.
  • Great rear camera view, especially with the turn lines and proximity warnings.
  • Adaptive cruise is nice, but not great at handling some situations such as when someone cuts in in front of you. It'll take a while before I'll trust it to do things like bring the car to a stop (I must be an earlier braker than most).
  • There are a lot of OBs around here lately but I've never noticed another one with the wheel arch moldings, which I think are a nice accent.
  • I like the “retained power” when I shut the car off and have forgotten to close the windows.
  • The way the radio un-mutes on startup was annoying until I got in the habit of turning the volume down to zero before shutoff.
  • Memory seats! Too bad it doesn't have memory mirrors like my BMW did back in '04.
  • I've tried out many of the infotainment features and like they way they're implemented. It even does a decent job of cataloging the music on my USB stick and it's easy to do searches.
  • Android Auto is a bit disappointing but that's not a Subaru issue. I'll take it up on the Google forums.
  • Haven't had time to play with the nav, but since our Mazda also has Tom-Tom-based nav it might be similar.
Now my wife and I are looking for a short road trip to make in it so we can really put it through its paces, but very happy with my choices so far!

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
458 Posts
Looks like the twin to ours. :29: the LED steering responsive headlights to a nice job too! Time to hit the road :grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring in Wilderness Green
1 Posts
I just bought the same exact car, color and everything! It's my first Subaru of any kind and I couldn't be happier; can't wait to see how it performs where everyone tells me it shines - off road and snow. I'm curious how well the stock tires will handle those situations. Have fun with your new ride!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm disappointed with the heated wheel, myself. I was expecting more of the wheel circumference to be heated. My hands aren't particularly large, but when gripping in the "normal"10-2 position I find my thumb and index finger just off the heated area. It actually makes my fingertips feel colder than with no heat at all. Wasn't something I could really test, as I took my test drives in a different state that was far too warm to experiment with the heat.

I completely agree about the up-class feeling. I came from an Audi Q5, and still feel I moved up in many ways. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Agree Subaru steering wheel is not that great . I miss mine I had in Acura . Oh well car is still great .

Wish blind spot beep also instead of just flashing . Don’t know why outback still doesn’t have in 18 outback ..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice car! A lot of beaps (notably those associated with the acc) can be turned off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm disappointed with the heated wheel, myself. I was expecting more of the wheel circumference to be heated. My hands aren't particularly large, but when gripping in the "normal"10-2 position I find my thumb and index finger just off the heated area. It actually makes my fingertips feel colder than with no heat at all. Wasn't something I could really test, as I took my test drives in a different state that was far too warm to experiment with the heat.

I completely agree about the up-class feeling. I came from an Audi Q5, and still feel I moved up in many ways. :)
I agree somewhat about the wheel. I knew it was just one area that's heated, but was surprised that it was such a limited area. The position, however, is in line with some who think that 9 and 3 is a better position for control. In much of my driving, I rest my left elbow on the armrest and end up more like 9 and 12 with my right hand on top of the wheel. I guess this is bad if you do something that sets off the air bag, but that seems like an extremely low percentage risk. But on a cold morning I'll grip wherever it's warm!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I agree somewhat about the wheel. I knew it was just one area that's heated, but was surprised that it was such a limited area. The position, however, is in line with some who think that 9 and 3 is a better position for control. In much of my driving, I rest my left elbow on the armrest and end up more like 9 and 12 with my right hand on top of the wheel. I guess this is bad if you do something that sets off the air bag, but that seems like an extremely low percentage risk. But on a cold morning I'll grip wherever it's warm!
Of course, with the positions of the wheel spokes, 9 and 3 doesn't really work either. They heated areas are just a little too small for my hands, and I don't have particularly large hands. Which means they're too small for the majority of people. The 4 and 8 positions are heated as well, but again the area is too small, and that's not the most comfortable position for my hands.

While the heated wheel was high on my desirable list, it's not what I would consider a deal-breaker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts