Put my big boy panties on today and cut a hole in a perfectly good hood.
I should probably back up a bit. . . ordered an 07 STi scoop from the local dealer and took a gander at it to see how hard it would be to adapt to a stock hood. Result: not too bad. It mounts with a handful of studs and 4 plastic clips.
Made a cardboard template to locate the splitter mounting holes with the intercooler:
Two of the holes on the splitter are shared with the scoop. The rest are pretty much independent of each other.
Figured out the centerline of the hood: (it's 28 3/4" from either edge)
Made a cardboard template of the proposed cutout for the scoop, with bolt holes located (forgot to take a pic of that, use your imagination)
Located the template off the 2 shared bolts from the splitter template, transferred the cutout and bolt locations to the outside of the hood and set the scoop on it to double check. Things lined up pretty well. .
Time to cut my teeth on cutting hoods. Safety is. . . somewhere on the list. Top 5? I dunno. Sounds right.
Made the cuts to the top of the hood and peeled that section out (it's attached to the inner structure with blobs of adhesive):
Didn't cut through both layers as I need the inner structure to use as the attaching surface for both the scoop and splitter.
Test fit the scoop, hurrah!! it fits!
Flipped the hood over and made some extra cuts to clearance the inner structure and test fit the splitter: it fit.
Snapped it all together and threw it on the car to see how well it lined up with the STi intercooler. . .no pics but it was about 1/2" too far forward. Fair enough. . that's why we did the first one on a $hitty hood.
Laid out the new/used hood and moved the template back the appropriate amount.
Double checked all my measurements, bit my fingernails for a few minutes trying to decide if I really wanted to do this. Decided I did, and I'd done worse things to perfectly good parts before so, let's do this.
Yeah. . .playtime's over.
Spare you the deets but second time was the charm. Fits right over the IC and looks as close to factory as you can get. . . without actually finding some weird 2nd gen STi prototype hood (wouldn't that be cool).
Installed some rivnuts to allow me to mount the splitter with screws to the underside of the hood. Factory uses nylon wedge anchors. . they require a square cutout which is kinda hard to make with a drill. . .so, rivnuts.
It's off to the body shop now to get pulled and painted. Blue tape is to indicate areas that need attention on that hood. It wasn't perfect to begin with.
Upside to this is it's a good way for all you 2nd gen guys to get a scooped hood without having to pony up $600+ for a B4 or Baja Turbo one. You don't need the STi splitter if it's just cosmetic. . . buy an OEM STi scoop and you're in business. They go for about $160 from online Subaru parts wholesalers. . . about the same if you're in good with your local dealer.