Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L Rio Red
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it, finally purchased an outback of my very own! :D

I'm super excited, wahoo. It's a 1999 Outback in Rio Red. It was purchased (14 years ago) and maintained by the Subaru dealership here in Billings, MT. The owners have had the oil changed every 3k miles. I verified this with the carfax, and through the service department at the dealership. Also ran an autocheck report, which showed outbacks of this year scoring between 26-54; this one scored a 65! Car fax reported it as $1500 over retail value. As you can probably tell, I'm super excited about my find.

The elderly lady who sold it to me was so sentimental about this car, which she referred to as "her baby". She had put 117k miles on it and was sad to see it go. Her husband got her a brand new outback, which I was drooling over. She didn't seem to interested in the new one however, but says she'll learn to love it.

Thanks for all your support everyone! Oh and, what cool mods can I add to it??

Here's my new baby...

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, Pearl White, SAP, Wheel Arch Moldings, Body Side Molding, Splash Guards, Puddle Lights, Ac 110v Power Outlet
5 Posts
Congrats! She's a beauty!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Has the timing belt job been done?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
Best of Luck

Hey Jane the car looks great !!:)
I think you should check if the timing belt / water pump has been done as a 1st step, and then ENJOY your new ride! As far as mods a good total detail job, make sure all tires are the same and in good shape, then whatever... Have fun :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has the timing belt job been done?
Thanks, AWD. The carfax showed "regular scheduled maintenance" at 96k, but it didn't list timing belt (or any details). So I called and spoke to the dealership and asked what was performed. They did in fact do the timing belt at 96k. I really wanted to clairify as that would have been an expensive item to have needed immediately.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Thanks, AWD. The carfax showed "regular scheduled maintenance" at 96k, but it didn't list timing belt (or any details). So I called and spoke to the dealership and asked what was performed. They did in fact do the timing belt at 96k. I really wanted to clairify as that would have been an expensive item to have needed immediately.
Very good, then!

That car looks like it's in just about flawless shape. Good find, especially with the detailed maintenance history!

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
620 Posts
That's the best car i've ever owned. Keep the head gaskets in the back of your mind though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Jane the car looks great !!:)
I think you should check if the timing belt / water pump has been done as a 1st step, and then ENJOY your new ride! As far as mods a good total detail job, make sure all tires are the same and in good shape, then whatever... Have fun :D

Thanks Glen, good ideas about the detail and tires. However this elderly couple either had a complete detail job done on this car, or they are the biggest neat freaks EVER. I mean there wasn't even a piece of lint to be found anywhere. Total new car interior/exterior. Lucky me :D

Very good, then!

That car looks like it's in just about flawless shape. Good find, especially with the detailed maintenance history!

Enjoy it!
I will, thanks for your support jp.

That's the best car i've ever owned. Keep the head gaskets in the back of your mind though.
Hey dryvby, I'll definitely be thinking of it. Will I know when it's time though? I guess now that I have a 2.5 (rather than the 2.2 which I was looking for) I'll do some research about the head gasket issue.

Wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. I'm sure I'll be posting more, so don't think you've seen the last of me!!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Oh, the old DOHC will let you know when the HG's go.

Overheating, bubbles in the coolant, all that good stuff.

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
427 Posts
Very nice find. The head gaskets will be an issue down the road if they haven't been done yet. The good news is once they are done these engines are pretty durable and reliable. Yea, the 1st gen. Outbacks do look nicer than the new ones.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
blamejane: 117 K miles ! That's practically broken in... in Subaru terms...Timing belt replaced, that's good! Ask them also if they replaced the water pump. Normally that is done, when timing belt is replaced, along with a couple of tensioner pulleys.
Good luck on your next 100,000 miles!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wait til you drive that thing in the snow! I have a 99 OBW and fell in love with it on my first snowy ride. My lady has a GMC Jimmy 4x4 and we put the exact same tires on both vehicles on the same day. We both agree that the Subie runs circles around her 4x4 on bad roads.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! It's beautiful, and looks like new! It really paid off to research and shop around. Great job! This forum is so helpful - great people here. Keep us posted on your adventures!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again everyone...love the support! I feel super lucky, but also I know the research paid off. I'm not so afraid of the HG issue anymore, and will just fix it when the time comes that's all.

cargue: I'm really looking forward to driving it in the snow. I have no idea what to expect, buy my fingers are crossed that it'll be as awesome as I've heard.

I'm going to register with permanent tags and want to get a personalized plate. I did some research yesterday, looking for ideas, and thought one of these would be fun:

MTN ROO
RED ROO
RUH ROH
SUBIE
WAHOO

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Thanks again everyone...love the support! I feel super lucky, but also I know the research paid off. I'm not so afraid of the HG issue anymore, and will just fix it when the time comes that's all.

cargue: I'm really looking forward to driving it in the snow. I have no idea what to expect, buy my fingers are crossed that it'll be as awesome as I've heard.

I'm going to register with permanent tags and want to get a personalized plate. I did some research yesterday, looking for ideas, and thought one of these would be fun:

MTN ROO
RED ROO
RUH ROH
SUBIE
WAHOO
Great ideas! I like Mtn Roo:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice find!...Billings CL I assume? I am sure if ya didn't grab it quick it would have been sold...looks real clean....congrats!

·
Registered
'97 legacy OB wagon
7 Posts
Wow, that is a beautiful 'ru. I love the first gen's appearance, however the looming HG issues with 2.5 are always a little disappointing. I recently got my '97 with the mileage around the break-in point too! Not as cosmetically perfect though! Congratulations! I'm so happy there is someone out there who is suba-stoked on their new 1st gen subaru!
perhaps Ruby Roo or Ruby Sub for the license plating. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts