Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback PZEV
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks to me that the revised TSB 10-48-10 released today (Feb. 3, 2011) brings the major modifications of the steering system. The new steering column, redesigned lower steering control arms, bunch of new bushings, revised installation of steering rack spring seat. Seems like a real possibilty of Subaru getting the fix right.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
Looks to me that the revised TSB 10-48-10 released today (Feb. 3, 2010) brings the major modifications of the steering system. The new steering column, redesigned lower steering control arms, bunch of new bushings, revised installation of steering rack spring seat. Seems like a real possibilty of Subaru getting the fix right.
...as long as they apply this to the production line then this will allow those holding off buying one to finally pull the trigger....

I wanna see a copy of this...anyone with access PLEASE post it up...SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOn

·
Registered
2011 3.6R KIA 2/26/14///2014 2.5 Premium
278 Posts
Me too. My 3.6 was made in early jan 2011 and hasn't developed the shakes yet. It shakes a little but that's partially due to the crummy roads in the dc area. Any idea what manufacturing dates or vins are covered?

·
Registered
2010 Outback PZEV
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...as long as they apply this to the production line then this will allow those holding off buying one to finally pull the trigger....

I wanna see a copy of this.
There is a note in the TSB:
"NOTE: Countermeasure steering wheels were incorporated into production in November, 2010.
Refer to the Parts Summary for C/M in production VIN break."

There is no info about anything else being implemented into production. I would assume that a new steering column and new control arms will be incorporated into 2012 model.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R KIA 2/26/14///2014 2.5 Premium
278 Posts
That's just the steering wheel though right? If my Vin is high enough to not need a new steering wheel then do I not need the new control arm and steering column?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Grey
59 Posts
Looks to me that the revised TSB 10-48-10 released today (Feb. 3, 2011) brings the major modifications of the steering system. The new steering column, redesigned lower steering control arms, bunch of new bushings, revised installation of steering rack spring seat. Seems like a real possibilty of Subaru getting the fix right.
Are you able to post it here? Please and thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Grey
59 Posts
The document is about 1.8 MB and the forum allowable max is 1 MB.
Could you split it into 2 parts? I really appreciate all of the other TSBs you've posted - they've been a great source of info. And being in Canada I usually get them from you several weeks before my dealer gets them.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
55 Posts
Forgive me for being pessimistic, but this TSB looks like another masking attempt. All changes aim reducing visible oscillations of the steering wheel. We'll see if the car body vibration will remain the same.
Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
Forgive me for being pessimistic, but this TSB looks like another masking attempt. All changes aim reducing visible oscillations of the steering wheel. We'll see if the car body vibration will remain the same.
Forgiven ;) but why do you say so? Do you have a link to the specific work involved?

·
Registered
13 Posts
To me, the control arm modification is promising. Several months ago, someone posted an article regarding "trail angle" and vibration. I've always thought this to be the issue, and a control arm change might suggest they've addressed it. I'm cautiously optimistic (just like I was in July;)).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Note: Vehicles after the following VINs DO NOT need to have the steering wheel replaced.
B*369895 (Outback)
B*231394 (Sedan)
I ordered an OB from the factory on 1-22-11.
The VIN is B3391***. Does that translate to B*391***? That would seem to put me in the "no need to do anything unless it shakes" group. With a delivery date of 2-16 and all the snow storms I am not so patiently waiting.

·
Registered
2011 OB Prem. 6MT
147 Posts
Who cares as long as it is a true fix.

Previous "fixes" on both of mine only moved much of the shaking/vibration to the seat/body structure and amplified the engine noise (I think that is due to the motor mount shim). I have praised subaru before for being a good company sticking by their customers after selling them a defective product. I am hopeful that this is an actual fix and I'm right.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts