Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parking in one particular garage, I have found my rear gate open (2018 Outback Limited) after overnight parking four weeks in a row (on a Sunday morning). Other garage I park in reguarly, this has not happened, and parking on the street I have not had this happen, and it is getting rather annoying. I am positive I closed the rear gate and locked the doors, so not sure how this could happen. Wondering if the FOB coding may be same as someone else in the garage (I don't think there are any other Subarus, but not positive). Is that even possible? Has anyone seen this on their Subaru? So far, I've been lucky, but I am afraid that my luck will run out and something will be stolen...I am going to switch my everyday FOB with the second one, but any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
My Outback key locked and unlocked someones Legacy parked nearby a few months ago. I don't know if you have a similar problem but wanted you to know it can happen.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited
546 Posts
This has happened to me many times at home in the garage. The problem is I carry the key in my pants pocket along with a pocket knife and any other item I may place in my pocket. The tailgate button will end up getting pushed and I find the tailgate open. Other times I may setoff the car alarm or any other function my key fob will perform in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
The key button being accidentally pressed would be my first guess (sadly, accidental button pushes and the remote start feature have taken a few lives), but certainly possible that another key may be coded similarly to cause this too. Hope you get it figured out, that'd be unnerving as heck to me!

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
following.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,412 Posts
I've accidentally unlocked the car with the fob on my pocket before.

Are you pants tight or do you carry the key fob with other things in the same pocket? Both could cause an accidental press.

That would be my first guess.

I doubt another car is opening yours since it's using an encrypted signal with a rolling code where every single code sent is unique.

I guess it's possible though.

But my first guess would be accidentally bumping the fob and not being aware of it.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
760 Posts
This happens often to me. Too much junk in my pocket.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,269 Posts
For a push-button ignition, I would think the odds of finding someone else's proximity key was actually able to start your vehicle would be astronomical, but I've heard there's a much higher probability that the remote code (which doesn't require proximity to the vehicle) could match someone else's fob. Certainly sounds like that's the most likely scenario in your case (assuming you're not accidentally hitting the button every time you walk away/approach, which seems unlikely to me given the relatively short range of the fob and the long press required to open the hatch). I suspect the dealership may be able to reprogram this code, if necessary.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,301 Posts
The idea of accidentally with the fob in pocket seems likely but it does seem strange that it has always happened in one particular parking garage and nowhere else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts