Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a long time trying to find a good place to mount a fire extinguisher that wasnt totally in the way, or totally buried. I think i came up with a pretty good solution using this extinguisher recommended on this forum as fitting in the door pocket of later gen outbacks.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-Extinguisher-Fire-Extinguisher-AUTO5/dp/B000P0DPGQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=First+Alert+AUTO5+Auto+Fire+Extinguisher&qid=1595861392&sr=8-2

I have a gen 3 so no room in the doors, and besides i wanted it hard mounted so it wouldnt fly around.

Came up with this D pillar mount. Removed the trim, and bolted into the frame there using a nut on the back of a bolt fed through an existing hole in the D pillar (sorry no pics) and then some self tapping metal screws for the rest of the mount. After that it was simply a matter of putting the trim back on, and tracing the shape to cut the trim around the extinguisher using a dremel. Plenty of trial and error and I got the trim decently cut. A bit rough but works for me.

The cargo cover still closes, And the extinguisher is tucked away enough that i havent hit or caught anything on it yet even when loaded pretty full. Easy access. Hope to never use it, and just thought I'd share since I hadnt seen anyone do this yet.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
356 Posts
Nice. I have seen open road race cars with this mounted just below front seat edge (under the knees of driver and navigator). I think the only issue is access to back of car. To your point, hopefully never a need for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,234 Posts
Nice.
I'd be worried about how hot it gets in the summer, but you are in Canada so maybe you don't have to worry about that.\
Looks like you also added an extra restraint strap to it.
Something to think about, if the hatch release is via electric and the car is having a battery fire, can you still get to it?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
My place of choice is against the back of the back seat.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,474 Posts
For a small fire bottle this is easier and more accessible. No cutting or drilling; works in front or rear doors.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
You have to think through the situations when a fire extinguisher is needed. And once you picture that scenario, ask yourself how you're going to access it.

It should always be reachable by the driver without stretching. Anything that involves crawling around the interior, or getting out and opening another door or the hatchback, should be avoided. It takes time, and you may not be able to get there.

It's really not that much in the way to have it upright, leaning back toward driver, mounted on the passenger side transmission hump. Passenger's knees typically don't have to go there, it doesn't get bumped around a lot at that location, and it's still pretty close at hand.

Another alternative is transverse on the floor, under the driver's legs.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Smart using the D pillar and not the cover so it's secure.

The cut is a little rough though. You could grab some rubber gasket c channel to clean it up some.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You have to think through the situations when a fire extinguisher is needed. And once you picture that scenario, ask yourself how you're going to access it.

It should always be reachable by the driver without stretching. Anything that involves crawling around the interior, or getting out and opening another door or the hatchback, should be avoided. It takes time, and you may not be able to get there.

It's really not that much in the way to have it upright, leaning back toward driver, mounted on the passenger side transmission hump. Passenger's knees typically don't have to go there, it doesn't get bumped around a lot at that location, and it's still pretty close at hand.

Another alternative is transverse on the floor, under the driver's legs.
Example.....

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
947 Posts
Yep, I had a Rennline version mounted to front bolts of passenger seat on my 911 and I’m going to do same with OB. If you are going to bother it has to be instantly accessible.

Also, these are pretty neat

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep, I had a Rennline version mounted to front bolts of passenger seat on my 911 and I’m going to do same with OB. If you are going to bother it has to be instantly accessible.

Size; could pack three E50 and still require less space. I see the same seat rail mount in the option list.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy Outback Special Edition "Blackie"
12 Posts
I have a Bracketeer in my ST, along with a Halotron fire extinguisher. It's a really nice piece, if a bit on the pricey side. I've since modified it to fit behind the driver's seat (Focus seat mounting bolts are offset by about 6") instead of in front of the passenger's seat.
DSC00065 by Michael Read, on Flickr

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice @EVH . I would consider that approach if I wasn't transporting 12yr old soccer players. Their feet are just large enough to kick it (sometimes don't remove cleats)

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
170 Posts
I see some nice installations. Personally, I would never cut my interior. Especially if the bottle isn't rechargeable i.e. reusable/replaceable.

·
Registered
2008 Outback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i thought of the classic drivers seat mount but i have long legs and need all the space i can get going in and out. Also, behind either seat (on the transmission tunnel) was also a no go due to kids in car seats and tons of junk back there. I realize that in arms reach is most ideal in full emergency scenario (ie trapped inside burning car) but balanced that against the likelihood. I figure if anything it is better than nothing, and my hatch is all mechanical latch so no worries getting it open. Good for an engine fire or to help another motorist.

And as for what happens when it gets hot in summer, i have 2 extinguishers in my VW van, one mounted in a similar location, and never had any issues travelling in arizona, baja etc so canadian summer should be fine?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
170 Posts
I'd put it in the back in a trunk bag or something. The amount of times you'll use it compared to how how often it will get be in the way isn't worth the effort.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
244 Posts
I have to give you credit for thinking out of the box in mounting the extinguisher. A couple of comments for what it is worth. Having immediate access to it when seconds count is important. The 5bc bottle will not put out but the smallest fire. A minimum of 10bc with immediate access may put out a fire with possibly enough left to take care of a re-flash.
I also have a concern about that bottle with being secured with a plastic strap, It could come loose in a crash and become a flying object which could kill someone.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,612 Posts
Let's try another suggestion -

The Element extinguisher that has no issues with a hot car and it's only slightly bigger than a fat flare. Keep it in the foam insert above the spare or anywhere else.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
343 Posts

Awesome thanks.
Grabbed one for the subi and one for the kitchen.
Ngs10 will give you 10% off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Outback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to give you credit for thinking out of the box in mounting the extinguisher. A couple of comments for what it is worth. Having immediate access to it when seconds count is important. The 5bc bottle will not put out but the smallest fire. A minimum of 10bc with immediate access may put out a fire with possibly enough left to take care of a re-flash.
I also have a concern about that bottle with being secured with a plastic strap, It could come loose in a crash and become a flying object which could kill someone.
Thanks for the feedback. For what its worth its secured with the stock plastic strap and a second nylon webbing strap. So yeah it'll make it 2 seconds slower to deploy but hopefully with the benefit of not killing any passengers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts