Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of the 205/75 R15's on my 99 OBW. The stock size is a 205/70 so these are maybe 1/8" taller.

I considered the General Grabber's but I would've had to order them and deal with a local guy or someone like Sears. I got these for $97 per tire, in stock, and they include a nationwide hazard warranty and lifetime free rotation and balancing at any Firestone Store.

My speedo used to be a bit fast but I drove home with my GPS on and my speedo is now exactly correct. I researched the **** out of them and they're supposed to be a great tire. I hope so, but I'm happy and optimistic!

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
Please keep us informed on how these things do in conditions other than on road driving. I too have looked at these but just always leaned towards the Grabbers because I have seen reviews of them on our cars.
Post pics if you can. Oh and will snow chains fit on those without saying hello to the spring perch?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, so far I can tell you they're awesome on road, quiet. And I live in WI and drive 60 miles one way to work. On snow and ice they've turned the 99 OBW into a mountain goat.

I'm not sure about chains, they're basically the same size as the Grabbers, I don't think there's a 1/8" difference. I read other forums when researching them and they got great reviews on-road and off. They're a pretty aggressive tire.

I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Wagon Green 2.2 swap
50 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the reply on this. It is great having another option. I have had the Yokohama Geolandar AT2's and they were a great disappointment for me. They did good on road and in the wet, but left much to be desired in snow and mud. Looking forward to the pics, I'm sure they look great though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to get pics up today, I've been working crazy O.T. Just wanted to say that we had several inches of really heavy wet stuff and I couldn't be happier with these tires on road and off in the snow. I live in the country and I pushed heavy snow right out to my pole barn with no hesitation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire pics:

The pics do not show up on my computer until I right-click and open in a new tab. ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can tell you I also put the same tire on my lady's Jimmy the same exact day. We recently had a really heavy, wet snow and the temps are warm so it's slippery. The Subaru handles it a whole lot better than her 4x4 Jimmy does.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5i auto
14 Posts
I had a set of those on my Jeep Cherokee which I sold to buy my Outback. I miss those tires, they were great. Where did you get them for that price? Tirerack.com doesn't offer them in that size and Firestone.com has them listed at $126.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got them at the regular Firestone Dealer in Sheboygan, WI.

I hadn't planned on buying them that day as I was still about 50% on the old tires. I was putting them on my lady's Jimmy and asked the guy what kind of price he could give me if I bought another set that day. Told me he'd give me $10 per tire off. The first price he quoted me was $107.

It may pay to take a trip in there and negotiate.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I put Bridgestone Ecopia E422 (sold by Firestone) on my wife's 2009 Honda Civic after a great and comprehensive research. They really "stick" to the road, handle well in rain, deliver low rolling resistance (better MPG) and are quite quiet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts