Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to town this morning to run an errand and a 10 wheeler was coming the other way at what appeared to be well over the 40Mph speed limit. He threw a piece of ice right at my windshield. It hit right smack in the middle, about 3" below the mirror mount. It didn't break the glass but it made 5 or 6 white pits in the surface. They kind of look like the Subaru logo (should I sell it on eBay?)

On my way back home, and another 10 wheeler is hurtling towards me (could be the same one, not sure). This time it threw a rock at me and it hit the top of the A pillar on the driver's side. It made a scratch all the way down to the metal, about 1.5" long.

I've already had to change my windshield once. I also have rock damage on the front bumper. This is really starting to piss me off!:cursin:

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
I know the feeling - I have had stone damage to my car from an idiot passing me in a restricted speed area of road works - and when I used to work at the local Port (sea) there were always trucks on the road, and they drop as much off the back as they flick up from the road sometimes.

I find log trucks are the worst. - Course I had a company car in thise days so it did not worry me quite so much.

Have you thought about ringing your insurance company or the local Highway Patrol (we have a free phone mobile number for them over here to report such "road safety" instances)...

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
In NY gravel trucks say "do not follow." Oh and what am I supposed to do on the interstate, take the back roads instead....

But then again that might be more fun in the subie! :roadtrip:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Sduford, if you were on your original windshield it would have went...My second 'shield is much more forgiving than the original. Brian

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bheinz57 said:
Sduford, if you were on your original windshield it would have went...My second 'shield is much more forgiving than the original. Brian
Could very well be. I won't waste time getting it fixed though. My original windshield had a much smaller impact mark on it, small enough that I couldn't even see it. Yet it cracked from side to side overnight.

I've already had more rock damage on this car in 4 months then I had on my Highlander in 4 years!

I'm starting to believe it truly is a rock magnet! Perhaps it accelerates too fast, the rocks don't have time to get out of the way!:awais:

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
AAAArrrrggghhhhhhh!!!!! I feel for you, Sly.

So far, I've avoided the dreaded rogue rock. :25:

But I'm not looking forward to fighting the logging trucks on the back dirt roads in Maine this summer. As if the rocks they spew aren't bad enough, they OWN those logging roads the way they drive; four years I saw one peel around a corner and lose his load in the face of an oncoming car (I was behind the truck). Fortunately, no one was hurt.

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Were those fingernails on a blackboard I heard... EEEEEEEEEE

Snikies that look like it hurts! :yodaddy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh wow, that is so frustrating! It makes you want to just drive a polished chrome car so that there's no paint to chip, and the reflection off your car blinds everyone else so they steer clear.

I can already see rust on your picture, too! I would be in a panic if I were you. Have you fixed it yet? When I get rock chips on my car, I take a pencil eraser to the metal (or a pen eraser, which is grittier) and then put either clear fingernail polish on it or colour matched paint. (Of course, it never REALLY matches. The clear does a better job at being unnoticed.)

I hope you prevent that rust before it gets too deep!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
BraytonAK said:
Oh wow, that is so frustrating! It makes you want to just drive a polished chrome car so that there's no paint to chip, and the reflection off your car blinds everyone else so they steer clear.

I can already see rust on your picture, too! I would be in a panic if I were you. Have you fixed it yet? When I get rock chips on my car, I take a pencil eraser to the metal (or a pen eraser, which is grittier) and then put either clear fingernail polish on it or colour matched paint. (Of course, it never REALLY matches. The clear does a better job at being unnoticed.)

I hope you prevent that rust before it gets too deep!
BraytonAK, how do you find the fingernail polish lasts? I wouldn't have thought it would survive the elements very well..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jondalar: It actually seems to do just fine. I make sure to clean the area first, stripping it of wax and dirt. Then rub it down with the eraser. Finally I just put a tiny dot of polish on it, just enough to meet the edges of the clear coat. The only degredation I have ever noticed was that it could yellow after a number of years, but you could just pick it off, I'm sure. The summer heat isn't so extreme here, so that may help it. (Lows of -20°F and extreme highs at a peak of maybe 85°F with lots of summer sun. No salted roads in the winter...just sand or runway de-icer.)

I would tell you what kind I have, but it's out in my glove box at the moment. Just some cheap stuff that I bought many years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Jondalar
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing