Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of picking up my new OB in a few weeks, I'm putting together a list of things to check before the car leaves the dealer. One of those is the infotainment firmware version. So I was wondering how quickly Subaru gets a new version installed at the factory vs. when a dealer might have access to it for upgrades. I think there was a new version released within the last couple (?) of months; how soon would this start being installed at the factory? Is 2.17.43.30 what's coming in on new OBs now?

I used to work in an unrelated business that also required firmware to be loaded onto the equipment at some point, and it took a really long time to get a change made in what was installed on the production line vs. what we could get hold of and install locally.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,310 Posts
following.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,267 Posts
FWIW (anecdotal generalization), based on reports in the Gen 5 forum, dealers commonly seem to be both less-than-helpful and/or incompetent when addressing a firmware issue (e.g, some have had to make multiple return trips to the dealer to correct improperly installed firmware). Unless you're aware of a specific bug that would be problematic for you, you may want to consider holding off until you've spent some time with the vehicle. The system will never be perfect, and may well be good enough as is.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,310 Posts
FWIW (anecdotal generalization), based on reports in the Gen 5 forum, dealers commonly seem to be both less-than-helpful and/or incompetent when addressing a firmware issue (e.g, some have had to make multiple return trips to the dealer to correct improperly installed firmware). Unless you're aware of a specific bug that would be problematic for you, you may want to consider holding off until you've spent some time with the vehicle. The system will never be perfect, and may well be good enough as is.
I agree. My 2017 OB Limited has had the following completed on the electronics in order of completion. Head unit replaced, Navigation mapping software updated by myself, ECU firmware updated to address battery charging, head unit firmware updated to address station changing issues. All seems to work well enough now. Not sure I want it "messed with" by anyone. Only updates might be mapping updates. :)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium with Moon Hole.
85 Posts
In anticipation of picking up my new OB in a few weeks, I'm putting together a list of things to check before the car leaves the dealer. One of those is the infotainment firmware version. So I was wondering how quickly Subaru gets a new version installed at the factory vs. when a dealer might have access to it for upgrades. I think there was a new version released within the last couple (?) of months; how soon would this start being installed at the factory? Is 2.17.43.30 what's coming in on new OBs now?

I used to work in an unrelated business that also required firmware to be loaded onto the equipment at some point, and it took a really long time to get a change made in what was installed on the production line vs. what we could get hold of and install locally.
I purchased mine from a high volume dealer on 3/4/18, they hadn't even pulled it into their inventory yet. It has 2.17.43.30 installed.

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
414 Posts
I picked my ordered one up end of November. It has the 2.17.43.30 so they have been doing it for a while.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
74 Posts
Got my 18 in October, since have had the head unit replaced, and updated to 2.17.43.30 . I have not had any major issues since then. But will say, it is quite quirky, there are just some things not worked out very well imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts