Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some thoughts after the first 1500 miles on my new Outback.

The good:
- I'm actually surprised with the power of the 2.5. I really debated a long time about whether to get the 3.6. In the end, better milage sold me on the 2.5. Acceleration is sufficient, and it will cruise just fine at 85 mph.
- I really like the CVT--another surprise. It seems to keep the engine right where it needs to be. I hope I can get 200,000+ miles out of it without any problems.
- The interior is very comfortable. It's quiet, has plenty of room for a fat guy like me, and it rides really well.
- It handles well. After reading about Outbacks for over a year, I thought it would handle like a Suburban. I won't be breaking records at Laguna Seca; but for a vehicle of it's size, it handles well.
- It makes me smile. It's just a cool vehicle, and I smile each time I walk out to drive it.

The bad:
- The stereo isn't great. No amout of adjustment seems to make it sound right. It's not terrible, but it's not great. I've had vehicles built in the 90's with better stereo systems than this. I can see upgrading this at some point.
- The steering wheel seems small in diameter. This isn't really bad, but I think will take some time to get used to it.
- Steering is fine until around 70 mph, then it's really "hard" to make minute adjustments; and those minute adjustments seem to go too far (i.e., it's overly sensitive and hard to steer at higher speeds). This became tiring on my long trip.
- Not having dual-zone climate control. This should be an option on the Premium.
- Gas mileage. The first 500 miles (starting with 3 on the odometer!) were 50/50 city/highway and I manually measured 23.5 mpg. The next 1000 miles were mostly highway, on a trip from Austin to NW Oklahoma and back. I measured 26.5 mpg (computer stated 27). I'm now questioning how much less this would have been with the 3.6.
- Although the power from the 2.5 is sufficient, I'm a little worried about how it will handle a trailer. Maybe it will surprise me.

Overall, I love it! :29:

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Jealous in Cedar Park

Howdy neighbor,
I recently ordered a 2013 OB 3.6R from Subaru of Georgetown, and can't wait to drive it! Appreciate you sharing your experience so I can live vicariously through you:)
I have another 5 1/2 to 9 1/2 weeks to wait. Not much snow here, but plenty of rough terrain. My job sends me places that make my Camry cringe.
What made you choose an OB, and where did you buy?

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I think as time goes by you'll understand how to steer without going from side to side to side like I was doing the first 2K miles or so. It takes minute inputs that would seem insufficient in other vehicles but do the job in this one to adjust the direction of travel.

Funny, I too smile each time I walk up to mine to drive off. For me, I picked the 3.6 because of how quiet the interior was with acceleration. I was not too impressed with the sounds the CVT makes and I a somewhat aggressive on the gas sometimes. I have about 2700 miles on mine and I'm getting an average of about 22mpg on the H6. I hope it improves a little to around 24 but I'm satisfied, especially since I'm a spirited (but safe) driver.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts

- The steering wheel seems small in diameter. This isn't really bad, but I think will take some time to get used to it.

Most car's steering wheels feel small to me. Try picking up a steering wheel cover to make it feel a bit larger. They are cheap enough, if it doesn't work, you are not out much.

Also it is the general consensus is that gas mileage improves with time. You really don't hit your stride until about 10,000 miles. So be patient and it will get better.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts

The bad:
- The stereo isn't great. No amout of adjustment seems to make it sound right. It's not terrible, but it's not great. I've had vehicles built in the 90's with better stereo systems than this. I can see upgrading this at some point.

Overall, I love it! :29:
When you go to upgrade the stereo, start with the speakers. I put Polk Audio db6501 in the front and db651 in the back. Sounds MUCH better than the cheezy factory speakers. So good, that I'm not even considering changing the head unit.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
The bad:
- Steering is fine until around 70 mph, then it's really "hard" to make minute adjustments; and those minute adjustments seem to go too far (i.e., it's overly sensitive and hard to steer at higher speeds). This became tiring on my long trip.
Glad that you're liking the OB so far! I'm rounding 2,000 miles and have mostly the same experiences too. Re: the above statement, have you considered the very common 19mm rear sway bar modification? The general consensus is that it tightens up handling at highway speeds, and is really a cheap and easy fix for that.

I also had the same initial feeling about the "premium" audio system really lacking, but after messing around with the settings (SRS off, Loudness off, other minor adjustments) it's actually not bad for a stock stereo.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
I chose the 3.6R for several reasons. The 2.5 didn’t offer enough acceleration for me. I am a home health care worker, and my job requires driving from place to place throughout the day. Sometimes I do a lot of expressway driving, and found the 2.5 lacking for merging into traffic. I will be moving back to the KC area in a couple years, and know that if I can't merge quickly there, I will be sitting on the side of the ramp!
Like you, I didn’t want all the extra options. I have navigation, and don't use the sunroof that I have. I have driven 40 years with no accidents, and always looking around before changing lanes, etc. I found the eyesight was not something I would use. I liked the simpler interior. Unfortunately, there are no 3.6's available without the limited package, but I can wait for the one I want. Plan to drive it a long time!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
I share most of your thoughts after now 1 year and 26,000 miles as of Monday. I personally like the smaller steering wheel, makes it feel like less of a boat. However I too am not a fan of how the SMALLEST input at highway speeds makes a very large correction. To me, the PS setup feels backwards i.e. overly heavy in parking lights and overly light at highway speeds. My last two vehicles, a WRX and a Golf TDI, would both track straight as an arrow for miles with no corrections at all. Again, I can live with it, and do, but it's not preferable.

Regarding gas mileage, I see about 29-30mpg, hand calculated, on mostly highway in the summer. Winter I never see above 27 even in perfect conditions. Keep letting the engine break-in and wait until summer gas is available (er just saw Austin, TX as location so might not be true) to see some good increases. At the same time, it seems as though the 13's are actually not performing as well as 10-12 models in the fuel economy area but more data is needed

Glad you're enjoying the ride - now keep eating up the miles!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
I've got 1600 miles on my 2013 Limited with the CVT... picked it up the week before Christmas.

I love the car, fuel mileage is definitely the only thing that is "meh". I have been tracking it on fuelly, I've filled the car 5 times now. Average fuel economy is 22.7mpg, and the best tank I've done is 23.4. I run the tires 34 in the front, 32 in the back. The dealer wanted 35/35 for the winter but I check the tires frequently and I wanted to preserve the front/rear difference that Subaru specifies.

That said it is winter, almost none of my driving has been above 32 degrees, lots of my driving has been 10-15 degrees, etc... and on my last tank I had a 2 hour drive to go 24 miles one way to work... traffic is *very* bad on my commute many days. It never takes me less then about 40 minutes to go the 24 miles to work as I'm driving into Boston. In about a week I will finally get to take it on an actual highway trip, I'm excited to see how it does there.

I was getting 25mpg out of my old car (Acura RSX Type-S) on my commute before the weather got so cold.. that car had about 1/4 the usable space and wasn't AWD so all things considered the fuel economy is pretty good.

I think the handling is phenomenal for a vehicle this size.. power is fine as well. I do think it is weird that the steering doesn't center much at walking speeds in parking lots, etc.. but once it's moving it's great. I think "dartiness" is all about what you are used to.. the Outback has a slower steering ratio than my RSX had, so the Outback always feels super stable to me. Steering wheel size is basically just Subaru biasing the car towards sportiness a bit.. IME the sportier the car the smaller the wheel.. I'm not a fan of huge wheels on modern cars with power steering. I've only gotten to drive a little in the snow but the performance there is super impressive.. we are supposed to get a huge snowstorm this friday, maybe I'll get to drive in some serious snow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am starting to get nervous about selling my perfect 2012 for a 13 or 14. Once my wife hits 50K we sell and that will be in April.Ours always gets 30 plus mpg. Again she drives 99% highway with no traffic in the morning and fair traffic at night. I wonder if there is a mapping problem with the 2013 since most people I speak with are getting poor mileage?
How many of you are in area's above 35* and are getting good mileage

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I think the 10-12 models with the highly revised EJ series engine was a better gas sipper

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I think the 10-12 models with the highly revised EJ series engine was a better gas sipper
That's the way it looks based on the posts thoughout this forum, compared to the 2013 models.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
I am starting to get nervous about selling my perfect 2012 for a 13 or 14. Once my wife hits 50K we sell and that will be in April.Ours always gets 30 plus mpg. Again she drives 99% highway with no traffic in the morning and fair traffic at night. I wonder if there is a mapping problem with the 2013 since most people I speak with are getting poor mileage?
My driving is practically 99% City.. my above example was not real relevant to your driving if you're describing your driving as 99% highway, even more so if you're in a warm climate.

Like I said before, I was getting 25mpg before out of a car that was rated 24 city/31 highway before. (It is bad that I'm not even getting the city 24mpg rating out of my outback but it *is* still breaking in)

But why would you sell your 2012 so quickly anyway? Any change in gas mileage whether positive or negative is dwarfed by the financial hit of replacing a car that is so new.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
1,104 Posts
and it will cruise just fine at 85 mph.
The next 1000 miles were mostly highway, on a trip from Austin to NW Oklahoma and back. I measured 26.5 mpg (computer stated 27). I'm now questioning how much less this would have been with the 3.6.
On the highway, I can routinely get 25-27 MPG out of my 2010 3.6R. But, I'm not cruising at 85 all day, either.. If you are staying at those speeds for prolonged periods of time, that is probably what is hurting your mileage.

I have a problem "maximizing" mileage, though. If I'm covering 600 miles in a day's time, 75 MPH vs. 65 MPH gets me there an hour quicker.. Put that way, the extra 1-2 MPG doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
I think as time goes by you'll understand how to steer without going from side to side to side like I was doing the first 2K miles or so. It takes minute inputs that would seem insufficient in other vehicles but do the job in this one to adjust the direction of travel.

Funny, I too smile each time I walk up to mine to drive off. For me, I picked the 3.6 because of how quiet the interior was with acceleration. I was not too impressed with the sounds the CVT makes and I a somewhat aggressive on the gas sometimes. I have about 2700 miles on mine and I'm getting an average of about 22mpg on the H6. I hope it improves a little to around 24 but I'm satisfied, especially since I'm a spirited (but safe) driver.
22 mpg with around town driving bias is good. With mix of driving weighted mainly highway you should be able to do 24 avg. easy once it breaks in if your not slamming it to the floor.

Like Darkanion said - 27mpg at ~70mph yep. Go down to 60mph and you can push it up to near 30 mpg.

the 13s come with syn from the factory don't they. my 11 did not.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
I don't understand? Why sell an OB that gets 30+mpg and only 50K miles? Sounds like your car will keep treating you well with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
Outback 3.6R MY 2010
34 Posts

- Gas mileage. The first 500 miles (starting with 3 on the odometer!) were 50/50 city/highway and I manually measured 23.5 mpg. The next 1000 miles were mostly highway, on a trip from Austin to NW Oklahoma and back. I measured 26.5 mpg (computer stated 27). I'm now questioning how much less this would have been with the 3.6.
After 3 months of driving my H6 MY2010 I can say she wants 21 MPG. 80% outside the city (here in Poland we do not have a lot of highways :28: )
Today I covered 300 miles over two lane highway, played a bit with speed around 100 mph and she took 21.6 MPG - as I do not driver'er in the city the mileage is pretty decent I guess. In the city drops below 19 MPG.

The best MPG I got when driving up to 60 MPH over roads, where overtaking is just senseless.

Tom

1 - 20 of 50 Posts