Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of wanting one, I finally bought my first Subaru - a 2006 XT.

I don't know much of the history of the vehicle, sadly. It has 122,000 miles, and I know the previous owner "put a lot of work into it", and at least replaced the water pump and turbo. This does frighten me, because it suggests he had some issues with it. It drives well, but does have a rough idle, and there's some sort of friction on the gas pedal, kind of "sticky" feeling, but not dangerously so.

I have been reading as much as I can in the past several hours. I've learned that I should probably remove the banjo filters, and that I should change the oil every ~3,500 miles. I have also read I should let it idle for 15 minutes or so after a long drive to help cool down the turbo.

I still have a lot of questions though...
  • What are the major things I should be aware of in this car?
  • What should I check right off the bat?
  • What can I do to prevent future issues?
  • Is it worth replacing the turbo oil line? I saw mention of Infamous Performance's oil feed kit, it interested me
  • What all can I modify to get more miles out of her?

I'm already in love with her, and I want to treat her right and make her last. :grin2: Any general advice / recommendations is super duper helpful!!!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I'm already in love with her, and I want to treat her right and make her last. :grin2: Any general advice / recommendations is super duper helpful!!!
There are lots of posts out there with some specific answers to these questions, but if there's one general piece of advice to leave with a new XT owner:

If you think it isn't running right, stop driving it.

Nothing has killed more XTs than the owner thinking "It's just another X miles to home, then I'll be able to check it out with real tools in the morning..."

Or it's less-well-known cousin "I get paid next Thursday, I guess I can fix it then..."

XTs have a nasty habit of turning little problems into big ones in very few miles. It will break itself pretty ferociously if you give it the right circumstances.

For some people, that means get a second car. For others it means pay up your AAA, or carry tools, or just budgeting extra for preventive maintenance. But your plan should always be keyed off of the idea of hanging up the keys when you know something isn't right.

Also, no need to idle-down in an XT. You have two factors of protection- there's a water reservoir above the turbo bearing to help cool it without the engine running, and you should have full synthetic oil in this car- the extra thermal range makes a big difference with these. So save your gas- you'll need it!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
I do not think the Infamous Feed line is produced anymore. I have one and inquired about parts and I was told they were no longer being produced. This was around 2 years ago, or close to it. I would not worry so much about the prior turbo change. Many cars had early maintenance issues with the 1st owners and turbos failed.

Do you have any CELs?

Rough idle, or low idle? These used XT are prone to leaking intake systems. There are many hoses and fitting that get baked by the hot motor. Minor intake leaks can cause minor variations which the car tries to deal with the best it can.

What transmission do you have? AT or MT? The 5EAT will need a drain and fill. So will the front and rear differential if you can't verify they have been done. A sugglish AT can affect your idle when stopped. So will axles.

Then so will a vaccum leak.

Take some time to get to know your car. Poke around, look and touch fitting and see if things are loose or not.

:welcome2:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts