Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - Im just under 2000 miles on my 2 week old OB. I got my first chip in the hood from a rock - no idea when it happened. Its about 1/8th of an inch in diameter.

I was considering getting that clear stuff you put on the front of the hood to protect it but I dont think it would have mattered if I had. This is at least 1/3 of the way back from the front of the hood. Maybe the plastic hood protector would have helped cause it sits up a bit - but I dont want that.

I KNOW its inevitable. I remember when I started noticing them on my last BLACK outback.
A long time ago on other cars - I bought the touch up paint and put a bit of paint in the chip but its a very sloppy fix at best.

My question is this.

How does a professional fix a chip from a rock in brand new paint. Something about an 1/8th of an inch wide?
How do they fix it and how much wld it cost.

I really have no idea how they fix a spot in paint/clear coat to make it look smooth again.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
86 Posts
you can try these product and see if it works: BuyEZChipRepair.com

I ended up buying the factory Subaru hood protector, will install it on my new '13 outback. I do not like rock chips either

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,072 Posts
I got mine on my second full day of ownership. Went to get on the highway and a truck a good distance in front of me dropped a chunk of dirt and stone, chipped the hood and a-pillar.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Sequoia225 - There will be more ... leave it alone and it will grow on you; i.e. you will get used to it. As long as it is not deep enough to rust, just use the touch up paint (sloppy let it be) - a standard issue of any new car owner.

Someone backed into my rear bumper a day ago in the parking lot at Sam's Club.
There is absolutely nothing that I can do - other than to have the rear bumper re-painted. But I will let it go as well....my high insurance deductible screams for something bigger than just the rear bumper repair. I wish these bumpers were not painted (like my 05 Forester). This adds to the door ding that I got at New Orleans long term airport parking lot over the holidays. The first "chip" always hurts most! Subaru ought to have that "rugged" look....LOL

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sequoia225 - There will be more ... leave it alone and it will grow on you; i.e. you will get used to it. As long as it is not deep enough to rust, just use the touch up paint (sloppy let it be) - a standard issue of any new car owner.

Someone backed into my rear bumper a day ago in the parking lot at Sam's Club.
There is absolutely nothing that I can do - other than to have the rear bumper re-painted. But I will let it go as well....my high insurance deductible screams for something bigger than just the rear bumper repair. I wish these bumpers were not painted (like my 05 Forester). This adds to the door ding that I got at New Orleans long term airport parking lot over the holidays. The first "chip" always hurts most! Subaru ought to have that "rugged" look....LOL
well part of it is that Im afraid of it rusting. The ones on my 03 Outback rusted. Now that said - they just looked a bit orange instead of silver - as I live in So cal which is usually dry - but I dont want it to get worse.
Its down to silver metal.

And I am also genuinely curious what it takes to fix it to a new look again. I honestly have NO clue how you fix a spot in paint that is many layers and also clear coat and make it look new. I am curious how they do it and how much cost is involved too (generally)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
There is such thing as rust-to-base paint chemical, that I have used in the past. Usually, I leave it alone for a while and wait, until it starts rusting (if it indeed is deep down to base sheet metal). Then I put that stuff on it, the rust changes color to black and I would finish it with a touchup paint.
Are you sure that "silver" is the sheet metal and not a base rust proofing paint? If you have ever been on any assembly line, they dip the whole body into rust proofing base paint bath before the car body is painted and baked. Different car manufacturers use different colors for rust proof bath paint. I don't know if any paint body shop takes care of such small paint "chips".

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
-I used the DentPro guys (they do all the touch-up for our fleet) on my T4R, and was super pleased. Cost a little, but worth it. I have two vertical creases on my OB's back door, but I'll just let it be until I get more.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
There you go - Subyblue... same here ... I will let it go until there is more.... "hit me - I need the money" like those bumper stickers say in L.A. on freeways....

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Dr. Colorchip touch-up paint might be a good investment for you. It's a step above OEM touch-up paint in that you an "blend" it with the surrounding paint so it doesn't look like a mound of fresh paint.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Rock chips and driving in Ca is unavoidable. Ca must be the #1 place in the world for rock quarries and truck-tractors pulling double bottom dump and end dump semi-trailers.
Mine was 6mo old I lost a windshield on I80.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rock chips and driving in Ca is unavoidable. Ca must be the #1 place in the world for rock quarries and truck-tractors pulling double bottom dump and end dump semi-trailers.
Mine was 6mo old I lost a windshield on I80.

yeah - I think it happened on the way down the 5 from SF to LA.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
yeah - I think it happened on the way down the 5 from SF to LA.
Correct, I5 only has two lanes, the truck lane and the passing lane.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct, I5 only has two lanes, the truck lane and the passing lane.

incorrect - the I5 has 2 lanes, the passing lane on the left, and then on the right its the faster passing lane that happens to have a lot of trucks in it.

if you catch my meaning.

Its really annoying those a$$holes that speed right up to the rear of the trucks on the right and then squeeze in front of you in the left lane just because you happened to leave anything more than 2 feet in front of you to the next car.
Im more than happy letting people in front of me (every time actually) when they act like a normal considerate human being, put on their turn signal and wait for someone to let them in.
The other types of drivers is why its good I dont believe in owning a gun.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
:21:

I've painted a car or two in my life.
1) Prep, tape everything that doesn't get paint.
2) Prep surface: sanding, bondo, primer stage
3) Color stage
4) Clear coat stage

The only way to make "metallic " look like new is to pain the whole piece hood, door, whatever seam to seam. Most cheaper places will try to "fade" and only paint the one area. A good painter will make the fade disappear. A bad painter will make it will look like someone painted your car with a paintball gun. But then I've been told many times that I'm picky...

Plastic requires different primers and sometimes different paints.

I got a chip on my hood and I just used the oem stuff. I taped off the chip exactly perfect to as to "fill-in" the chip. After it dried, I took off the tape and over sprayed it slightly. You can see it... if you know where it is. Way faster than getting all the equipment set up.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
incorrect - the I5 has 2 lanes, the passing lane on the left, and then on the right its the faster passing lane that happens to have a lot of trucks in it.

if you catch my meaning.

Its really annoying those a$$holes that speed right up to the rear of the trucks on the right and then squeeze in front of you in the left lane just because you happened to leave anything more than 2 feet in front of you to the next car.
Im more than happy letting people in front of me (every time actually) when they act like a normal considerate human being, put on their turn signal and wait for someone to let them in.
Yep, that irritates the [email protected] out of me too. I avoid I5 unless I can drive it at 3 in the morning.

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
What do you mean already?

That **** can happen driving off the lot. There is no timeline when it comes to getting your first rock chip. Buy some touch up paint from the dealership and move on with your life.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean already?

That **** can happen driving off the lot. There is no timeline when it comes to getting your first rock chip. Buy some touch up paint from the dealership and move on with your life.
ahhh Im not THAT upset about it, albeit irritated for sure.

But I was genuinely curious how such a thing gets fixed. I know nothing about painting and couldnt imagine how you fix a spot like that to be smooth and polished and flawless with the rest of the hood. My real question was about how that gets fixed. I am curious. Its a deep feeling mark so I am curious how they get it feeling even again and paint the layers against the rest of it.

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
Seriously...don't over think this. You can take it to a body shop and spend $$$$ getting it fixed, just to get another chip while driving home. IMO getting a rock chip professionally fixed is beyond dumb. Just go to the dealer, spend ~$20 and just follow the directions. It won't give you a show room look, but does that really matter? It's an Outback, not a Lambo.

I have used touch up paint on my 2008 Outback many times.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously...don't over think this. You can take it to a body shop and spend $$$$ getting it fixed, just to get another chip while driving home. IMO getting a rock chip professionally fixed is beyond dumb. Just go to the dealer, spend ~$20 and just follow the directions. It won't give you a show room look, but does that really matter? It's an Outback, not a Lambo.

I have used touch up paint on my 2008 Outback many times.

You are not understanding me. I work in Audio. I have worked in music audio/tv audio studios my whole adult life, which, is more of a LIFE than a job - as I worked my whole 20s working 60 to 100+ hours every week. I dont work quite those hours now, but still work more hours than most jobs. point being, I didnt get a lot of exposure to other skills friends in other jobs have. My dad worked in computers and was more corporate than technical in the end.
I know very little about manufacturing. I LOVE that show "how its made", because I like learning about things I know nothing about. Some of these things are pretty basic to many humans, yet I know little about them.
Mind you, Im not a complete idiot - I can change my oil and brakes and did more with old cars I had as a teen, but I realized the other day that I could put some touch up paint on this thing and it would look as sloppy as the last time I did that - despite how careful I may be. I have no idea how you would smooth a blemish like that on a new car surface.

But I assume such a thing can be fixed to look smooth, with the proper materials, without redoing the whole hood, but I cant even conceive of how that would be done - as the orig paint job is not just as simple as some paint slapped on the car, never mind its done as a whole piece - not a spot. It is such a simple thing but I have no clue how it really gets done. Makes me curious.

I ASSUME that it would not be worth the cost to fix from a professional, but still didnt know how much it would cost. I didnt even know if this is the sort of thing anyone could do - if they just knew how to do it, or if it wld be more trouble than its worth due to time and materials and skill needed. I wouldn't have a clue if someone asked me to do it.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dr. Colorchip touch-up paint might be a good investment for you. It's a step above OEM touch-up paint in that you an "blend" it with the surrounding paint so it doesn't look like a mound of fresh paint.
I have used this on two vehicles with very good results. Far better than conventional touch up and if you follow the directions, it's basically idiot proof to apply. Well worth the $$, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts