Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for no more than 2 months and I just got my first door ding this past Sunday. I was pretty furious. I got some quotes from PDR guys and they all quoted $100, seems pretty steep. I want to get it repaired but I'm just afraid I'll get another ding shortly after that, it's like no one cares for other people's property or something.

Anyway, I will get it repaird probably next month, but now I'm considering buying the body molding side protectors. Question is, by the looks of it, the moldings look like they can only stop damage from other people's front doors swinging into you and not the back door.

what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
You're in LA and it took two whole months to get a ding?

I'm impressed, actually.

I'm of the mind that it's better to gather a few & have them all knocked out in one session, rinse, repeat annually.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeah i know. i try very hard to park at strategic places where i am less likely to get a ding, but this time i've failed. @ $100 per ding, i dont think i can afford a year's accumulation of door dings =(

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
lol yeah i know. i try very hard to park at strategic places where i am less likely to get a ding, but this time i've failed. @ $100 per ding, i dont think i can afford a year's accumulation of door dings =(
I imagine that the "cost per ding" goes down if they only have to come out once to fix multiple dings vs. multiple trips.

Having said that, unless the ding is actually more of a dent than a ding, just leave it be. Inconsiderate people are a fact of life and they are to be expected.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone know where i can find a service manual page on how to remove the driverside rear door panel? maybe i can pop it out myself if i can get the door panel off.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Trust me, if you try to do it yourself, you will only make it worse. I had a fantastic PDR guy local. If you find the right guy they really know what they are doing. It was amazing what he could do:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/paintless-dent-removali-6207.html?t=6207

Unfortunately, not too long ago I tried to contact him and it seems he's no longer in business :( I agree it seems like a lot of money for a dent, but consider what repainting etc would cost. Even then there is a risk the paint won't match.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Much of the point of doing a year's worth at a time is to get a group discount, so to speak.

If two can be fixed with the same access, it's a lot less work. Some PDR guys will pass along that savings.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
For weight savings, the sheet metal on most new cars is as thin as aluminum foil. Doesn't take much to ding.
I've had wonderful luck with PDR services.
Mine is ding free so far, always garaged and a strategic, tactical parking lot defense mindset is the reason.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Try and find out when the dent Dr. guy goes to the dealership. Usually dealers have them come once a week as they always have something going on. If you catch them there maybe you could have them come and do your ding on a Saturday at a decreased rate. This is assuming that the dealer is marking up the services

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
When I'm forced to park in between two cars I always take pictures of two adjacent cars with their license plates. When I get a ding I report property damage and force the perpetrator's insurance to pay for the damage. Works every time and teaches morons to respect other people's property :29:
In Ca, license plate registration records are not available on a public data base. Even if it was, insurance information is not available from DMV databases.
When you find ding damage, how do you prove it was caused by the occupants(s) of the adjacent car if there are no witnesses?
Many times the driver of a car is not the owner of the car. How do you identify the driver through registration records?
When you say you report the damage, who do you report it to? A door ding is neither a collision or vandalism.
Ca has a compulsory liability insurance law but it many areas of Ca, 25% of drivers are uninsured.
Although I agree people who let their doors fly carelessly into the side other cars are morons, often times the perpetrator is a small child.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
When I'm forced to park in between two cars I always take pictures of two adjacent cars with their license plates. When I get a ding I report property damage and force the perpetrator's insurance to pay for the damage. Works every time and teaches morons to respect other people's property :29:
lmao...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What a crock of bs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i've decided i'm going to live with the ding for now. I have better things to spend $100 on than to fix that ding. when i have more expendable cash sitting around then i'll get around to fixing, by that time, god forbid i have more dings but that way i might get a better cost per ding repair as opposed to just fixing one.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
the first one is always the most painful...and shows us how our central nervouse system is somehow, mysteriously, conected to our cars...:29:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Because each car and its license plate is being recorded when it pulls next to mine. The real time video recording is being activated in a split of a second when something comes closer than 50 mm to the car doors / panels.
When I submit a claim, I present the full video recording of how the actual ding occurred. I developed this system it called DinGard, and now I'm trying to certify it before offering it to the market. I hope it answers your questions.
So theres a motion activated camera recording INSIDE your car? Or are you just being sarcastic...

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Because each car and its license plate is being recorded when it pulls next to mine. The real time video recording is being activated in a split of a second when something comes closer than 50 mm to the car doors / panels.
When I submit a claim, I present the full video recording of how the actual ding occurred. I developed this system it called DinGard, and now I'm trying to certify it before offering it to the market. I hope it answers your questions.
Sounds like a good idea but even with video evidence, you would still have a ding.
I still prefer active ding prevention by not parking near anyone else in the first place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
why couldnt car companies just use some kind of impact resistant material for the panels? it could even be made out of recycled materials like coke bottles or something.

i went to a local body shop for an estimate and this a$$clown said "no, its impossible to push out this ding" he went on telling me that he needs to sand it down to the metal, fill it with bondo, primer, repaint it then clear coat it, he doesnt stop there, he goes on and said he needs to sand down the ENTRE driver's+driver's rear door so the paint will match....i left the shop 5 secs after that

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
12 Participants
Scoobie13
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing