Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened after 12 years of driving I had my first accident. Of course it had to happen in my new to me Outback and not my Old Edge which I am trying to get rid of. I was driving home and as I was slowing because a car in front of me was turning the person in the F-250 rear ended me. I will try and post pictures later today or tonight. It happened around 6:00 pm. The bumper is pretty torn up on the right side and the rear hatch is pushed in. It opens under its own power but it wouldn't close on it's own, I had to press down on it to latch. I am waiting to hear back from the other guys insurance hopefully by the end of the day. I sure hope it is not totaled. I drove it home and to work this morning as my parents are using my Edge at the moment. No glass damaged and all exterior lights are working fine. Hopefully the fuel door will open I forgot to check. What made it worse is my Dr. Pepper spilled all over the front seat and floor mats, center console, and also on the carpet. I will keep everyone updated. Thankfully no injuries to either driver.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
829 Posts
Without looking up the actual stats, I'd wager you beat the average.
Of course, the stats should be improving with all the collision avoidance tech cars are now getting, but it may be offset by the increasing distractions we have too.

Glad you have no injuries but go ahead and get checked out if you haven't already. Whiplash effects can manifest later. Your insurance should advise you the same.

Aggies and Dr. Pepper. Lol, can't get more Texan without driving the F-250 yourself.
Gig 'em. (y)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aggies and Dr. Pepper. Lol, can't get more Texan without driving the F-250 yourself.
I agree, but Subaru's are few and far between out here in West Texas. I was in Fort Worth this past weekend and they were everywhere. I just hope i can find a good body shop here. I have never needed one. Also if it counts my father has an F-250 and I've driven it before a few times.

From your description, it does not seem like it would be totalled, for a 2017 model.
I understand but my friends 14 Prius was totaled after a minor fender bender due to frame damage. You just never know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7F5F37BC-D3D9-4864-9CE4-26F7BF3981EE.jpeg
9F1951C5-9B83-4C16-BA3A-84B3E3609878.jpeg
ED7479A8-06CE-4D29-A581-8638118FF211.jpeg
D8FA2AB8-95B4-48B0-945C-266A88480E99.jpeg
Here is some damage pictures the back is also pushed in and the other guys insurance changed it to non drivable as the hatch isn’t easy to get to latch. So will get a rental today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
116 Posts
My guess is you just need a new tailgate and bumper cover. There is a small chance you may need some parts under the bumper. I agree with it being non drivable. If the hatch doesn't close fully, you may get some exhaust fumes pulled into the cabin.

How did the F250 look?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,542 Posts
My guess is you just need a new tailgate and bumper cover.
Agree; and this doesn't look deep enough to have hit the reinforced rear bumper beam or energy absorber, and gotten into the frame. The tailgate is likely what stopped it.

Your repair will involve all new parts, BTW, and you should mention to the body shop that they need to use genuine Subaru parts. Then check the repair estimate against part numbers from this website to assure they are doing so:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is you just need a new tailgate and bumper cover. There is a small chance you may need some parts under the bumper. I agree with it being non drivable. If the hatch doesn't close fully, you may get some exhaust fumes pulled into the cabin.

How did the F250 look?
It literally had a smashed bumper and license plate. That was about all. I shouldn't be too surprised. It rides a lot higher. Hopefully will hear from their adjuster Monday because the body shop I want to use has an opening on Tuesday.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I need some advice. The adjuster from the other peoples company called me back and want to come and do the adjustment Wednesday. I asked them if they would be doing the adjustment with OEM parts and I was told that if aftermarket parts are available they would use them. That sent me through the roof. I already told them that if need be I will contact a lawyer. A different claims representative says that it is because the OEM manufacturer may have stopped making the parts and they may have sold the part design to other companies. Am I asking too much in making sure OEM parts are used. Would have been nice to at least hear their side of the story from the adjuster instead of making me call them back from the adjuster. I know a car is a car, but I really really like this car. I mean the car is only 3 years old and I have only had it for 6 months. Maybe I am living in a fantasy world. Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other option is filing a claim with my own insurance. Which is actually looking like the best option as well. Please let me know if I am being to anal about all of this.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
116 Posts
You may want to check the laws in your state regarding OEM parts. If my 2017 needed body parts, I would expect a body shop to find used parts from a junkyard rather than new from a dealer. They are OEM, should be cheaper and hopefully can be painted to look new. However, that strategy backfired bad when I got t-boned in my previous 2003 Outback. Body shop ordered two junkyard doors and neither matched my car (different years, slightly different styling). They ended up getting a new door from the dealer.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,567 Posts
I need some advice. The adjuster from the other peoples company called me back and want to come and do the adjustment Wednesday. I asked them if they would be doing the adjustment with OEM parts and I was told that if aftermarket parts are available they would use them. That sent me through the roof. I already told them that if need be I will contact a lawyer. A different claims representative says that it is because the OEM manufacturer may have stopped making the parts and they may have sold the part design to other companies. Am I asking too much in making sure OEM parts are used. Would have been nice to at least hear their side of the story from the adjuster instead of making me call them back from the adjuster. I know a car is a car, but I really really like this car. I mean the car is only 3 years old and I have only had it for 6 months. Maybe I am living in a fantasy world. Please let me know your thoughts.
Tell them your neck is starting to hurt and your eyesight is blurring and you think you may have optic nerve damage. That will get their attention. ;)

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
FWIW, given your car is fairly new, the tailgate and bumper cover are probably only available from Subaru. You have that much in your favor.

I went through the same charade with the other party's insurance on a minor fender bender (guy ran a stop sign), and managed to prevail - but it took a lot of persistence. It was about a headlight assembly which had gotten scratched.

You can get what you want, but you'll have to keep at them.

And BTW, using your own insurance will cost you your deductible; are you aware of this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And BTW, using your own insurance will cost you your deductible; are you aware of this?
Yes I am aware of this. My insurance stated that if we go this route then after the process is done I will get the deductible back as part of the settlement. I am just going to wait and see what happens after they do the adjustment. I just don't understand how people can work for such a slime ball company who really does not care about the well being of the person that is the victim.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
66 Posts
Teach, specifics on this should be included in your auto policy. You can review your policy for it or call your carrier. Also, don't forget to claim your expenses.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The adjuster from the other peoples company called me back and want to come and do the adjustment Wednesday. I asked them if they would be doing the adjustment with OEM parts and I was told that if aftermarket parts are available they would use them.
Another thought - trust but verify. Ask the body shop that will be doing the repairs, not the adjustor, about the OEM versus aftermarket parts availability, and what they intend to use.

The adjustor is not on your side here; he / she is working for the company's ratepayers, and is motivated only to control expenses, not to please you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another thought - trust but verify. Ask the body shop that will be doing the repairs, not the adjustor, about the OEM versus aftermarket parts availability, and what they intend to use.
Thankfully I have a good trustworthy shop already in the loop.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Ltd.
61 Posts
Year ago 2018 outback was hit hard towards right rear wheel. Ended upside down. Myself and 80 yr old father-in-law all fine. He minor concussion, me fine. Opposing driver fined.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well good news. Got the adjuster out today and I guess my insistence worked or they didn't have other options because just about every part will be OEM. Also they only stated 3700 dollars in damage which seems low to me, but it was also an estimate. The body shop will contact them. Parts are already on order and I will drop the car off December 2nd. Hopefully it will be done in 10 days or so after the 2nd.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts