Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum, I own an old 1998 Gen1 Subaru outback I have been having a lot of trouble finding second-hand parts at wreckers or advertised online. But I have noticed that the 1997 -1998 Liberty looks exactly the same except for ground clearance. In particular, I am trying to find out if the exhaust system, transmission and diffs for these models are the same used on the outback model reason being is I was thinking of buying one of these and using it for parts on the Outback.

Any Help would be much appreciated

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
the aussie Liberty (= a legacy), may have different gear ratios in the trans/ diffs then a outback.
(other gear ratios may work for you,...if your goal is to go off road a whole lot,...some of those high riding beasts have really low gears from a mix / matched trans out of other models,...but they are not real highway vehicles anymore).

but other then that if a liberty has the same engine as a outback it should have the same exhaust,

(do some parts searches on subaru dealer websites to confirm,...like 2.0, 2.2, and 2.5 might have different exhaust sizes, = the last longer pipes will be different between wagons and sedans due to the length of the wagon floor, like the same muffler but different lengths of the attached pipes.).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts