Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Outback, 16 Pathfinder
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Outback with the 4 banger - 99K miles. First issue ever - battery died. I even have the same brake pads on since new. This thing is solid. Anyway, any recommendations on a good battery? I know nothing about them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
I had to replace the battery in my '11 a few years back when it tested low just prior to the winter. Unfortunately I cannot recall the brand I installed nor can i tell you a good one these days. I come from Exide being a good brand but I don't know if they are still around nor if they are still good. Given that the 4 cylinder isn't a battery hog I'd almost say whatever you can get that isn't a Costco cheap would be good. I tend to stay away from the big box stores because they sell brands but when you have troubles the brand model is only good at the same big box retailer. Given you got 7 years out of the battery I'd say spring for a known good one and don't worry. Divide the cost by 7 and get the annualized costs.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
consumer reports likes the Maxx or w'ever batteries from WalMart.

I like the batteries from O'Reilly's - they are made by East Penn/Deka I believe.

everyone has a favorite.

after replacement, start the car without pressing on the accelerator pedal - the ECU will be re-learning some parameters and running on the 'base map' at first. The car may run oddly for a drive cycle or 2.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put an interstate battery in my 2010 when the previous one died. I've always used interstate batteries in my vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,052 Posts
There are only a couple of battery makers in existence now, so brand is not nearly as important as it was ten or fifteen years ago. Pay more attention to the battery specs - you want plenty of CCAs (cold cranking amps) and at least a 7-year warranty. And go online looking for battery coupons. It is easy to find some that will save you $30 to $40 depending upon where you live and what sales happen to be running.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
2010 Outback with the 4 banger - 99K miles. First issue ever - battery died. I even have the same brake pads on since new. This thing is solid. Anyway, any recommendations on a good battery? I know nothing about them.

Thanks!
I replaced my OEM battery in my 2011 last November out of general preventative maintenance (and it was getting sluggish on cold days). I believe it's a Group 25 battery at Costco? Either way, check the little book in the store to make sure you get the right one.

You'll have to bring back the old battery to get a refund for the core charge - they'll bill you an extra $10-20 when you BUY the new battery, and refund you in cash when you do return the old one.

If you have a Costco membership, I strongly suggest you go there. They have a 10 year prorated warranty on their batteries, save your receipt. Make sure you check the date on the battery itself, it's a sticker on the battery. In the past on other cars I've used Advance Auto/AutoZone/NAPA batteries and they all seemed to die right outside of warranty.

If your car is like mine (same gen, should be), you'll need a 10mm socket to unhook the battery tiedowns under the car. Mine were very corroded so I ended up buying a new battery tiedown OEM kit from eBay or online somewhere, which was like $10 for a new tiedown and bolts. Well worth it for me.

Consider putting a protectant on the terminals on your new battery, too. I use one by CRC called Terminal Battery Protector. Every month or two I spray another coat on the terminals. It's red, and fades when you need to reapply. Should be available at any parts store.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,343 Posts
I've noticed the Everstart Maxx I have in Kaylee and the Autocraft Gold I have in Mal both vent/leak more than I'm used to. Both Group 35 batteries. I think both are Johnson Control. Both are wet around the vent caps often. I'm doubtful both cars have charging issues that were not evident before. Well, Mal's battery was put in right when I got him, cause the one he had as a trade in wasn't holding a decent charge. Kaylee had an old DieHard Gold before and it never leaked.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
true, sealed batt is another reason I like the batt from O'reilly.

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
An aside: If your battery is replaced at an auto parts store, DO NOT let them plug an auxiliary power supply into the OBD2 port. This can blow the ECU fuse.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,938 Posts

Thanks!
...original brake pads after 99,000 miles...on the car since new...? Holy crap...I've never heard of a car....any make/model getting that kind life out of them...the rotors usually warp if nothing else...got about 85,000 km out of our originals...and those replacements have been replaced...

My rotors warp just from travelling at warp speed....:laugh:

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
314 Posts
I'm a fan of AGM batteries - have a Bosch in my Legacy now. Costco batteries (made by Interstate) are good (the 120 month warranty is gone - current batteries are 42 month warranty - it's a replacement warranty, though - not prorated) - we put one in our Odyssey a few months back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts