Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious . . . how long after getting your new Subie (I got a 2013 OB 3.6R Limited on order) before you would consider taking it out on a long road trip?

We live in the Twin cities in Minnesota and may be going out east this fall to New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and Tennessee before heading home. The car may arrive shortly before then.

·
Registered
2013 Satin White 2.5 Limited w SAP, Puddle Lights, Rear Seat Back Protector
47 Posts
Not long. It's more a matter of how you drive it during the break in period. If I had a trip planned, getting any new vehicle would no slow me down. I once picked up a brand new car, took it home, packed it up, filled it up w gas and went on a 2800 miles. I sold that car w 224k miles on it and the oil still did not move on the dip stick between oil changes. The nice thing about a trip is that the break in is over before you know it.

Just follow the break in driving instructions and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2015 3.6r ltd nav/moonroof
195 Posts
1 day

the day after i got my 2012 3.6r ltd, i took it on a 600 mile trip..all highway and easy way to begin the break in....alt speed etc. easy on brakes..

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
Took mine from 1600 to 2900 miles on a mountain trip to New Mexico a few weeks ago. With all the wind and craziness on the road it seemed like the perfect break-in drive. Did my 3000 mile oil change today in fact.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
971 Posts
To me the only thing to worry about on going on a long road trip with a brand-new car is that you want to avoid driving at just one speed (really one rpm) all of the time. And this is just for the first 1000 miles. So I'd just avoid using the cruise control for the first 1k, and perhaps try to make a conscious point of driving at different speeds from time to time. This can be a bit of a pain on the interstate, but still can be done. (Or you could take state routes, which take more time, but can be more interesting....)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts