Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first mini-roadtrip since purchasing my car 2 weeks ago. I had to meet a guy in springfield, pa because I was selling my weathertech mats from my Impreza that I traded.

The Outback ride is definitely alittle firmer than before providing more road feel as others have stated. The car does still ride super smooth though. It was very comfortable and I acheived great gas mileage.

Total trip mileage was 65.2. Going there my gas mileage was 34.2. Coming home it was 33.5. This was according to the trip computer, so I'm sure it was off alittle bit, but I'm definitely happy with that for a car that only has 350 miles. It took me 3k miles to achieve that on my 2011 Outback.

My only complaint I found was that the car takes the expansion joints alittle too hard. I think I just remember how smooth the ride was on my 2011, but does anyone else notice this? Overall, I'm loving my car even more after the small trip.

One thing I do need to do is put felt or something up in the sunglass holder. Going over bumps and the expansion joints, my sunglasses made noise rattling around.

Questions/comments welcome!

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
That is really my only fear of the 2013 model that the ride is now on the firmer side. Heck, i even dumped the Michelin Defender tires because of the slightly firmer ride...my butt is very sensitive! :D I wonder how the ride is now off-road with the firmer ride. The 2010-2012 model have always been soft on-road and just perfect off-road.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
The bumps don't bother me for two reasons, one the car is so balanced now in turns, and two they got the rebound settings just right so even if the bump is harsh the suspension handles it well. However I'm like like in most of my vehicles, I like a firmer ride. Even my motorcycle is setup stiffer. Some like Thai may not like it though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm like Thai, I prefer the softer, smoother ride. I did however push the car on the off ramps and the cornering is 10x better, so I'll sacrafice some of the smooth ride for that. I hate taking curves or turns in my 2011.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
I have compared the calculated MPGs on the dash computer to the actual MPG by dividing the miles run versus gallons added to the first click and interestingly enough, one tank the computer was 1.5 MPG over and the other tank the computer was 1 MPG under. I have about 450 miles on it so far. I am going to compare tanks for a while and see if there is any consistency. I am interested in others impressions/experiences as well.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
My sunglasses rattle too. Anyone else have a fix for this?

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I just completed a 150 mile trip with my August of 09 Outback. I have new(6 months old) Bridgestone Alenza tires. Car was just aligned and tires rotated and balanced with fresh Mobil one advanced 5-30. Smooth and shimmy free at speeds 75-90.

I have to say My 12 Impreza has a firm but very compliant suspension and in some cases I think it is superior to the OB'S

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, my 2012 Impreza that I traded did have a firm suspension, but it did have a smooth ride. It's nowhere near as smooth as my Outbacks is though. The Impreza also had alot of road noise.

jrabdawg: I'll be filling up tomorrow or monday morning, so I'll post my mpgs versus the trip comp.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I agree, my 2012 Impreza that I traded did have a firm suspension, but it did have a smooth ride. It's nowhere near as smooth as my Outbacks is though. The Impreza also had alot of road noise.

jrabdawg: I'll be filling up tomorrow or monday morning, so I'll post my mpgs versus the trip comp.
Well I gave my wheels and tires to my son who I bought a 10 Impreza for. His OEM brigs with 22k where getting thin so he got the 17's with the YOKO'S. I purchased some DWS Conti's on Konig lace wheels. The handling is even sharper.

On the suspension subject Subaru put a lot effort into the Impreza suspension which also is used in the BRZ, but obviously tweaked for more sport. Impreza also uses new design coil over front type suspension with STI pillow bushings in the rear. I'm not trying to compare the OB to the Impreza but as far as quality goes I think the new suspension is a little more advanced than the 4th gen OB'S
but one can not beat that limo type ride in the OB.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
What tire pressure did you run? I'm at 35/33 and pretty happy. Maybe try the door 32/30?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.