Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my first oil change on my 2013 OB 2.5i.

Here are my completely unscientific conclusions:

- The 2013 Outback 2.5i is the easiest car EVER perform an oil change on. No ramps/jack/jackstands required. Filter is on top and easy to take off, and my oil fill consisted of exactly 5qts. which is the size of a 5 qt. jug of oil. I love this car.

- I did the oil change at 4100 miles because I am old school and think that 'metal shavings' are in the oil since its new. The oil came out very clean, which is no indicator of cleanliness or oil life, so I am inclined to think that 7,500 miles is a great interval for this car.

- I have a 08/12 OB with the pre-recall 15208AA15A filter. The new post-recall filter's gasket was much thicker. I actually don't think at 7/8 turns the original filter's gasket is thick enough to keep the metal can from contacting the mating surface.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
My dad has an '11 Forester with the new engine and top filter. He LOVES it. I got him a Fumoto valve for his birthday and now he said it takes less than 5 minutes to change the oil. At 70k miles in 2 years, it's certainly has saved him some time.

Definitely much easier than the previous filter that was between the exhaust...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
+1 on the fumoto valve.
Yep, I'm too cheap to buy one for myself lol.

But he stripped his drain plug twice and was asking me if this was common with Subarus. I suggested the FUMOTO to eliminate that problem :29:

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Just out of curiosity...where do you guys take the old oil? I always used to do my own growing up (farm) but we had plenty of uses for old oil....

Good Gawd I shudder to remember using a paintbrush to apply oil to the chains on some of the equipment...what a mess.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
I just got my '13 Outback last Friday, and my Fumoto valve just arrived today. I also am familiar with the old school philosophy of the first oil change very early, and am considering changing the oil at 600 miles. That will allow me to get the valve on.

Anyone have any experience with any of the other premium 0w-20 motor oils, other than Mobil 1? I have always used Mobil 1, but am curious what else others have had very good luck with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The drain plug on a Subaru uses a compression ring. If you install a Fumoto valve do you still use a compression ring on the Fumoto?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just out of curiosity...where do you guys take the old oil?
Generally any major retailer in my area that sells oil takes back used motor oil, i.e. pepboys, sears, etc. Some cities/counties have programs to collect used motor oil. Highly recommend recycling used motor oil to protect the environment....BP has done enough damage

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
The drain plug on a Subaru uses a compression ring. If you install a Fumoto valve do you still use a compression ring on the Fumoto?
Yes. The valve will come with a blue fiber washer, and for most, that will work just fine. Mine still leaked a tiny bit after a couple oil changes, so I swapped it out with a new OEM crush washer and that seemed to fix it for good.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
Anyone have any experience with any of the other premium 0w-20 motor oils, other than Mobil 1? I have always used Mobil 1, but am curious what else others have had very good luck with.
I'm curious about this as well. We just bought ours with 3000 miles, and the dealer changed the oil before delivery. So, it will be a while before I do the first change, but I am definitely interested in picking a good oil that satisfies the requirements for warranty purposes, and doesn't cost $8.50 a quart like the Subaru oil.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Some states require any place that sells oil to accept used oil. WV is one of them. I just take it in when my container is full and dump it. Never had any greif or problems. Even if I'm not buying some at the time.

I beleive all major parts retailers (Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Wal-Mart) will accept it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,226 Posts
Generally any major retailer in my area that sells oil takes back used motor oil, i.e. pepboys, sears, etc. Some cities/counties have programs to collect used motor oil. Highly recommend recycling used motor oil to protect the environment....BP has done enough damage
BP and and endless list of others throughout the last couple hundred years.

I am curious, as I have only ever recycled oil after changes. What do you people do with the oil that if you dont recycle it?
Though as I ask this, Im realizing none of you will admit to what you do with it. lol
But I am genuinely just curious.

So Cal (LA area) - is basically one big run off to the ocean from the surrounding mountains. Doesnt stop people from pouring all SORTS of things into the streets though.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,226 Posts
Yes. The valve will come with a blue fiber washer, and for most, that will work just fine. Mine still leaked a tiny bit after a couple oil changes, so I swapped it out with a new OEM crush washer and that seemed to fix it for good.
If you use one of those valves, and then happen to take it to Subaru to get the oil changed once, are there any issues with them dealing with that valve?
Is there any chance those valves get hit and end up pouring out the oil?

Never used such a thing but it certainly looks attractive. .

also - agreeing with the orig post here - I bought an 03 OB and couldnt BELIEVE how much better laid out the engine was for doing oil changes than my previous Toyota Tercel - where the filter was hidden in one spot sitting at an angle pointing down - man it was a pain. The 03 OB was such a breeze in comparison - and now seeing how the 13 is laid out where the filter is - I am almost excited to do an oil change. haha
But Ill get the free ones while I can with the dealer for now.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
BP and and endless list of others throughout the last couple hundred years.

I am curious, as I have only ever recycled oil after changes. What do you people do with the oil that if you dont recycle it?
Though as I ask this, Im realizing none of you will admit to what you do with it. lol

So Cal (LA area) - is basically one big run off to the ocean from the surrounding mountains. Doesnt stop people from pouring all SORTS of things into the streets though.
A friend of mine installed a waste oil stove in his auto repair shop along with a couple big tanks out back, he'd collect the oil from changes all summer long and heat his shop during the winter.
I changed my own oil but would drop by and dump my old oil in his tanks, he retired so now I take it to the local auto parts store and they recycle it.

In the old days before recycling we would soak fence posts, pour it in the alley for dust control, use it in the chainsaws for chain lube, use it as fire starter, lots of uses that most likely weren't good for the environment.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Just out of curiosity...where do you guys take the old oil? I always used to do my own growing up (farm) but we had plenty of uses for old oil....

Good Gawd I shudder to remember using a paintbrush to apply oil to the chains on some of the equipment...what a mess.
I take mine to Wally world (Walmart). I buy the oil there in 5 quart jugs, and return it to them in the same jugs. They will take up to 5 gallons at a time. They make it easier than any of the other places I tried.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm curious about this as well. We just bought ours with 3000 miles, and the dealer changed the oil before delivery. So, it will be a while before I do the first change, but I am definitely interested in picking a good oil that satisfies the requirements for warranty purposes, and doesn't cost $8.50 a quart like the Subaru oil.
The requirements are pretty non-specific from Subaru for the FB25 motors.

Synthetic 0W-20, API SM/SN rated.

On my first change I used Valvoline SynPower 0W-20. I thought I used the Mobil 1 0W-20 I had but it's still there and there is an empty jug of Valvoline SynPower 0W-20 in the recycling bin.

- Mobil 1 0W-20
- Valvoline SynPower 0W-20
- Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20
- Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20

That's what I find locally, in a store. Almost all Walmart's have the Mobil 1, the other three are more difficult to find. All four would satisfy Subaru's requirements.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, we don't just dump oil in the ocean and rivers in NJ :D. My town's recycling center has an oil container where you can deposit any type of oil.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My dad used to dig a hole in our gravel driveway and just let it fill up. We'd also spread it on our gravel lane in the summer to keep the dust down.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't the most environmental methods, but it wasn't as easy as stopping by an Advance and dumping it back then.

If you use one of those valves, and then happen to take it to Subaru to get the oil changed once, are there any issues with them dealing with that valve?
Is there any chance those valves get hit and end up pouring out the oil?

Never used such a thing but it certainly looks attractive.
They called my dad and questioned it during his 60k service. He told them it was an oil drain valve and OEM approved per Fumoto's website. He then had to tell them how to use it :rolleyes:. They didn't seem to care.

As for clearance, if you get the basic one, without a nipple, it truly sticks out <1" further than the drain plug. Lot of other things further down to hit it. They also make a low profile version if you have a low sitting car.

Lots of info here http://www.fumotousa.com/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts