Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First oil change at the dealer, 3k miles. I received a "free oil change" from the dealer, noting 3k/3mo on the freebie card.... so I said fine and had it done, not waiting for 6K as noted in the manual.

I asked the service advisor about what oil is in the engine as shipped. He said 0-20... then back tracked as he looked at the filler tube with the 5-30 label. I asked if it was synthetic and he said "we use a synthetic blend", not answering the question of what it was shipped with from the factory.

Time to do my own in the future with Mobil 1. I don't think the service advisor is someone I would take advice from....

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
216 Posts
First oil change at the dealer, 3k miles. I received a "free oil change" from the dealer, noting 3k/3mo on the freebie card.... so I said fine and had it done, not waiting for 6K as noted in the manual.

I asked the service advisor about what oil is in the engine as shipped. He said 0-20... then back tracked as he looked at the filler tube with the 5-30 label. I asked if it was synthetic and he said "we use a synthetic blend", not answering the question of what it was shipped with from the factory.

Time to do my own in the future with Mobil 1. I don't think the service advisor is someone I would take advice from....
When I bought my 17 2.5, I asked the same question. What oil was in the car when it was shipped. I got three different answers, with the guys finally "agreeing" that it was indeed 0-20 synthetic. I also got several different recommendations from the same dealership on when I was supposed to change the oil. Salesman told me 3k. I took that with a grain of salt. Going into the dealership, I knew more about the vehicle than he did. The service manager told me 5k, and one of the shop guys told me 6k. The manual for the 2.5 says 6k for the first oil change, but I'm going to go 4500 miles and change it and call it severe duty, since that isn't defined anywhere I can find and most of my trips back and forth to work are about 13 minutes each.

I also checked the oil prior to driving off the lot and found that it was an inch above full on the dipstick. I mentioned it to the salesman, and he mentioned that it would read high when cold. I drove off the lot and got the engine up to operating temperature and checked again. It was still well above full. I was wondering if the dealership added oil in response to some of the consumption claims, but I don't know. I do know that after 3400 miles, it is now just below the full mark on the dipstick. Hard to track how much oil I have used so far, but I figure I will change it out within the next month or so, and will start tracking it then when I know how much oil is in there.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts
Do you really think service advisers or others really car about your car like you? Of course they don't! Yes, change it yourself if you can and really know what goes into your vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of the reason for asking questions of the service person is to figure out whether there is a base level of competence. Don't ask and you don't know. You can guess or assume but you don't know. I will do my typical maintenance as I did with my last car, a Toyota Sequoia. It was running great at over 300K.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
Fumoto that puppy!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
346 Posts
Do you really think service advisers or others really car about your car like you? Of course they don't! Yes, change it yourself if you can and really know what goes into your vehicle.
This is a great point. Also With so many different models and generations I doubt if any service advisor can remember oil spec and schedule for all the models without referring to a manual. It is best for owners to keep track and see what the service manual recommends.
I service my outback at an independent shop and make it a point to tell them what spec oil to use and tell them to make a note of it on the service order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts