Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that thinks Subaru might be specifying a 6000 mile interval merely to make more money on oil changes and ancillary services?

Feels like it should be 7,500 using a full synthetic. But I suppose if I'd like my warranty to stay in effect :frown2:

Of course I understand I can change the oil myself. But it still will have to be done at every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,192 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks Subaru might be specifying a 6000 mile interval merely to make more money on oil changes and ancillary services?

Feels like it should be 7,500 using a full synthetic. But I suppose if I'd like my warranty to stay in effect :frown2:

Of course I understand I can change the oil myself. But it still will have to be done at every 6000 miles.
The oil change interval is 6,000 mile or 6 months whichever comes first is the way I read the service schedule. My 2017 OB limited goes in for an 18 month/18,000 mile service on Thursday. I only have 10,250 miles on my 2017 Limited. About 2,600 miles since the last service. If I want to keep my 7/70 zero deductible service agreement. I understand I need to follow this mileage/time schedule no matter who does the work.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
Nope. Cause of this down here...

Nope. Its a factor of people not checking oil levels and 0weight oils have a High volatility/ unstable aspect that results in higher consumption numbers. The lower oci number is there to hopefully avoid low oil issues due to operator ignorance.
I guess my dealer wants to make even more money since I got a maintenance schedule with 5000 mile/5 months oil changes.
I'd ask them why they deviate from the Subaru schedule and why they want you to give them more money than required. Then go somewhere else.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,542 Posts
Like it or not, the 6k interval is a contract term that you agreed to abide by in exchange for warranty coverage should there be a problem. It's just that uncomplicated.

Now you can pay to have the dealer do it or a 3rd party or even yourself if you keep receipts and a journal. The Subaru site has place where you can enter the service history yourself.

So what can we can we do about this shortened interval? Several things are out for consideration.

1. If you are not concerned about warranty issues you can go ahead and increase the interval however you'd probably be wise to have a UOA to prove the engine wasn't compromised with the longer interval.

2. Once the warranty expires you can do as you wish.

3. If you're routinely checking your oil between changes to keep it between the dots then go ahead and increase the interval. The 6k is conservative and even with one of the oils I use (Castrol 0w-30 SL rated) that's not specifically approved in the manual, through two oil changes at 6k Blackstone advised that I could easily push that to 8k for my driving and I think it would hold up fine to 9-10k. Right now any day they'll get back to me with the latest UOA for Castrol 5w-30 EP that's labeled for 15k. I changed it at 6k but it will be interesting to see the wear numbers.

Just how risk adverse are you? That's the million dollar question.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue/Ivory
273 Posts
Nope. Its a factor of people not checking oil levels and 0weight oils have a High volatility/ unstable aspect that results in higher consumption numbers. The lower oci number is there to hopefully avoid low oil issues due to operator ignorance.
My Prius C uses the same 0w oil and has a one year, 10k mile interval. If what you say is true, wouldn't Toyota have a shorter interval too given the same weight oil?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't understand why you need to change synthetic oil so often. Conventional oil goes 5k synthetic is easily 10k, sure you'll have to check in between make sure you're not running low.

I came from jetta tdi and oil was changes were 10k or 1 year.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My Prius C uses the same 0w oil and has a one year, 10k mile interval. If what you say is true, wouldn't Toyota have a shorter interval too given the same weight oil?
Different engine type. The Prius runs a low compression goofy cycle strait 4, lower risk of oil consumption with 0weight oils. My wife’s Plugin Fusion Energy is also a 10k interval. Not to mention the EV mode during stop and go harsh ice engine conditions lowers the abuse the oil would otherwise be subjected to.

Different engines different oil impact etc.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I don't understand why you need to change synthetic oil so often. Conventional oil goes 5k synthetic is easily 10k, sure you'll have to check in between make sure you're not running low.

I came from jetta tdi and oil was changes were 10k or 1 year.
Diesels use far higher grade oil than gassers. Far more stable oil and they are not using the super low friction cylinder tech found in the gas engines now.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,703 Posts
I'd ask them why they deviate from the Subaru schedule and why they want you to give them more money than required. Then go somewhere else.
It is a booklet included in the packet of manuals that makes it look like it came right from Subaru, but it has the dealer name and it says "Preferred Maintenance Guide" and has the Subaru logo on the front. I'm sure the "preferred" means that they "prefer" making more money by having you come in more often.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
579 Posts
I also do not like the more frequent oil changes...than I was used to.

But I like not having to fill up with gas as often.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,542 Posts
I too don't like the more frequent changes but extending them, based on UOAs, is not unsafe and actually a very sound practice since the extended interval is based on science and lab results but therein lies the downside.

A UOA from Blackstone cost $38 with a TBN analysis that will get you, with proper oil and filter selection, to say 10k miles. In other words, $38 to go another 4k miles. That same $38 will buy you a top of the line filter and good oil to get you to 12k (2 x 6k) so you're going to spend more to go fewer miles between changes.

I still think 10-12k is doable with a good EP oil but you just can't do it without having the science behind a UOA to support you.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
I too don't like the more frequent changes but extending them, based on UOAs, is not unsafe and actually a very sound practice since the extended interval is based on science and lab results but therein lies the downside.

A UOA from Blackstone cost $38 with a TBN analysis that will get you, with proper oil and filter selection, to say 10k miles. In other words, $38 to go another 4k miles. That same $38 will buy you a top of the line filter and good oil to get you to 12k (2 x 6k) so you're going to spend more to go fewer miles between changes.

I still think 10-12k is doable with a good EP oil but you just can't do it without having the science behind a UOA to support you.
The cost of a UOA is what keeps me from using them. I can change my own oil and filter for less than $38 using a Mobil 1 bought from Wal-Mart and a Subaru oil filter bought from Amazon.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,852 Posts
I think the reduction from 7500 to 6000 in 2015 was a knee jerk reaction to early oil consumption reports in the FB25 engine. Let's just shorten the interval.

Customer - "Hey, I burned a quart at 6000!"
Dealer - "Time to change it, anyway."

But i also think there was a second shooter.
And someone's laundering money for the Russians.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
854 Posts
Actually in other parts of the world Subaru has gone with 12 month intervals like with the new Impreza/crosstrek. I use the new Mobil one once a year oil. I put no more than 6k a year on mine

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,852 Posts
The cost of a UOA is what keeps me from using them. I can change my own oil and filter for less than $38 using a Mobil 1 bought from Wal-Mart and a Subaru oil filter bought from Amazon.
Plus, you keep your warranty. Buy your Mobil 1 in the spring and fall and get a $12 rebate per jug.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
486 Posts
What's interesting is there's another segment that believe oil should still be changed at 3000 miles. I took advantage of the dealer provided free maintenance service for the first few changes. During the summer the drive from our cabin to the dealership was a catalyst to do it myself. Walmart's oil price is hard to beat plus Subaru filter cost is reasonable. While on vacation I found the appropriate NAPA (Wix) filter and bought a couple of them. Add a Fumoto drain valve and oil/filter changes are a breeze, at least on the 2.5l engine. I suppose you could repurpose your 6000 mile Subaru oil to a lawn mower or generator to squeeze the remaining life out of it.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts