Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i. Approximately 75,000 miles. Purchased used 11/29/19
87 Posts
I have read that in order to drive the combustion moisture and condensation water out of the oil, the oil has to get up to full operating temperature for about 15 minutes.

So as long as your frequent (every day or so) use of the car allows the oil temp to reach full operating temp for at least 15 minutes. I would go the full 6,000 miles (assuming synthetic oil, 3,000 if conventional oil).

If on the other hand the average drive are very short trips with the operating oil temp not getting up to full temp for at least 15 minutes a couple times a week. I would simply make sure at least once a week or so to take a longer drive. Or maybe reduce the oil change interval. But in my opinion simply taking an extra 15 minutes to drive home once or twice a week is far easier and convenient than paying and having more frequent oil changes.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
164 Posts
Depends how much hassle you’d get from your dealer or SoA if you had a Powertrain Warranty claim. SoA says whichever comes first. In a turbo running 0W-20, I’d agree with this. I would push it to 6,000 miles in an n/a car but not a turbo since a turbo is harder on oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I think I will change the oil after 6 mos of ownership & every 6 k miles thereafter. Synthetic oil are supposed to last at 10k mi or more

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
To maintain the factory warranty, you need 6 months or 6000 miles, whichever occurs first. If you want to keep the warranty intact, follow it.

If you don't care about such things as warranty, do a few UOA's and see what your car wants.

·
Registered
2014 OB Conv
13 Posts
I'm in Ottawa, Canada and do a lot of stop-start driving in temperatures from -30C to + 40C over the course of the year. Even running high-mileage synthetic it is thick and filthy around 4K... Hence why I'm now on 4K intervals. Subaru recommends shorter intervals for driving in harsh conditions but end of the day, whatever makes you sleep better at night. There's the other camp that says you can run synthetic for MUCH longer but I'm going to try and find out. Read more;

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,805 Posts
The more I have researched this subject the more I have come to assess that the reason for the 6000 mile oil change interval is because of Subaru's OEM oil filter. It is a dated design that uses cheap paper filtration, even below what the current Fram Extra Guard oil filter uses. I really think that the design is the same as it was when the Outback stopped recommending usage of the equivalent Fram PH9715 back in model year 2012. Notice that the oil change interval was decreased from 7500 miles to 6000 miles shortly thereafter and I really do think it has much, if not everything, to do with the cheap mass produced OEM oil filter that is basically a slightly improved upon version of the Honeywell Fram OEM filter from the 2008-09 timeframe. The infamous one that has convinced a countless number of people that an oil filter must have a 23.2psi bypass spec to function as intended.

End rant... for now.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The more I have researched this subject the more I have come to assess that the reason for the 6000 mile oil change interval is because of Subaru's OEM oil filter.
If it weren't for the turbo and GDI I might be comfortable with longer intervals. Those two factors push me to accept frequent oil changes.

·
4,805 Posts
If it weren't for the turbo and GDI I might be comfortable with longer intervals. Those two factors push me to accept frequent oil changes.
Back when this thread was started I think the question at hand had mostly to do with the oil filter. Now with the direct injection engines Subaru has adopted it has much to do with the engine as much as the oil filter. I would not push an oil change interval much beyond 6000 miles on a direct inject engine if even going as far as 6000 to begin with.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
832 Posts
Considering machining bits, initial wear etc inevitably in a new engine, I don’t mind a shorter initial oil change so long as initial fill isn’t specially set up for new engine break-in (some are) And should remain for X mile per manufacturer.

UOA over years and numerous vehicles here shows some clear data that with quality synthetic, 14-18 months or ~8-10k miles before acidity (TBN) is a concern. Disregard manufacturer intervals at your warranty peril, of course.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks Subaru might be specifying a 6000 mile interval merely to make more money on oil changes and ancillary services?

Feels like it should be 7,500 using a full synthetic. But I suppose if I'd like my warranty to stay in effect :frown2:

Of course I understand I can change the oil myself. But it still will have to be done at every 6000 miles.
I know this is an old thread, but I can't believe this line of thinking. Extended oil change intervals are largely a marketing tool to sell vehicles. We're paying 25,000+ for the vehicle and worrying whether the cost of oil changes over the first 60,000 miles is $800 or $960 (assuming you pay someone to do it)????

I change oil at 5,000 mile intervals because it's easy to remember when to change the oil once I get settled into that schedule (it's off at first due to not waiting for 5,000 for the first change, so I shorten some early changes to get there). It's not that expensive, particularly if it gets you to being able to use the car for 200,000 miles. Maintaining the engine is my primary concern, the cost is practically irrelevant.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,200 Posts
I have an old 1995 BMW with 240,000 miles on it. I put only 400 miles on it in the past year with mostly short trips. Even so, I will change the oil in a few weeks. Cheap insurance to keep the engine clean. BTW, I also flush the brake fluid even 2-3 years. Still has the original brake booster lines and calipers. On my 2017 Subaru OB Limited, I change the engine oil every 6 months and recently had the brake fluid changed. BTW, my first oil change was at 1,000 miles. I know, very conservative old school. :)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
948 Posts
if you have a carbureted engine with a cast iron block then yes, 3K is when you should be changing your oil due to how much fuel is dumped into the oil during cold operation along with the chemical reaction between the contaminates in the oil and the cast iron..

Subaru states 6K, no problem... I will follow it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Appreciate some advice. Do consider to be immune suppressed so have to be cautious.

Recently came up on first oil change time for our Outback 2.5 base with 5400 kms or 3355 miles. So oil change based on time [about 6 months] and not on mileage since only half way there.

Oil checked regularly and looks just like first day.

BUT dealerships in area are closed for service so that leaves options:

1. Do nothing yet since low mileage and wait for 1 year or when have another couple of thousand kms/miles BUT effect on warranty??

2. Go to independent garage that is open BUT not comfortable going to new never used garage [yeah bit OCD]

3. DIY. Not concerned with oil change or checking fluid levels or inspect tires BUT how do other Service A items like inspect/adjust drive belt tension, inspect axle boot condition, servicebattery

·
4,805 Posts
Appreciate some advice. Do consider to be immune suppressed so have to be cautious.

Recently came up on first oil change time for our Outback 2.5 base with 5400 kms or 3355 miles. So oil change based on time [about 6 months] and not on mileage since only half way there.

Oil checked regularly and looks just like first day.

BUT dealerships in area are closed for service so that leaves options:

1. Do nothing yet since low mileage and wait for 1 year or when have another couple of thousand kms/miles BUT effect on warranty??

2. Go to independent garage that is open BUT not comfortable going to new never used garage [yeah bit OCD]

3. DIY. Not concerned with oil change or checking fluid levels or inspect tires BUT how do other Service A items like inspect/adjust drive belt tension, inspect axle boot condition, servicebattery
I have never seen Subaru deny a warranty claim on the basis of an oil change not being completed within a certain time frame. I see the six month figure as a recommendation based on the fact that the average Subaru customer drives 1000 miles per month.

You can wait until 6000 miles to have an oil change done and if anyone gives you a hard time let us know here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have never seen Subaru deny a warranty claim on the basis of an oil change not being completed within a certain time frame. I see the six month figure as a recommendation based on the fact that the average Subaru customer drives 1000 miles per month.

You can wait until 6000 miles to have an oil change done and if anyone gives you a hard time let us know here.
Probably won't reach 10000 kms or 6000 miles even by 12 months.

But guess should definitely get it done at 12 months at latest. Hoping by late summer less risk with covid19.

The question then becomes... at 12 months do Service B and just skip Service A?

Thanks.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts