Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ Nav
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (3,500 miles) Outback is ready to make a long trip from central AL to central FL, so I looked to see if I needed to change the oil first. I previously received a letter from Subaru (SUBARU ADDED SECURITY MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT). On the front, it has a dealer sign-off area for a Service Interval of
15,000 and
(The plan is for 2 years/24,000 miles.)
On the back of the same letter, it has Mileage Intervals of
3750 - Engine Oil, FIlter, Drain Gasket
7500 - Engine Oil, FIlter, Drain Gasket, Tire Rotation
11250 - Engine Oil, FIlter, Drain Gasket
15000 and so on.
Okay, 3500 is close enough to 3750 so I bring it in. The service manager told me I did not need to bring it in until 7,500 miles ("you have synthetic oil") but they would give me a free oil change anyway. So I get the free oil change and inspection. Afterwards I asked the same guy to make sure I was not invalidating the warranty or service agreement. He said to bring it in every 7,500 miles. No problemo.
Until I am driving home and see the sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield. It says bring it in at 6,500 miles (3,000 miles from now).
It sounds like the left-hand does not know what the right-hand is doing.

I believe I have synthetic oil and I need to get it changed every 7,500 miles. However, I need to avoid any warranty issues.

Anyone have a similar experience with the 2013 2.5?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Follow the schedule in your owner's manual. 7.5 months or 7500 miles, whichever comes first, unless you fall into the severe service category.

Anything other than that is the dealer trying to get your money. If they say otherwise, demand it in writing verified by Subaru.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
the 3750 is the number all dealers throw out there (unless you are on the severe schedule). So he told you the truth when he said 7500/7.5 months (which is nice to hear) but all the literature will stay the same.

It's kinda like when McDonald's say's "Would you like fries with that?"

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
I was told by my salesman that "they like to see them at 3750 miles" He said it was to ensure that there were no metal shavings in the filter, etc.

I found the cars101 site where it has the entire maint schedule. The 3.6R has a first 3,000 interval but the 2.5i just says 7,500. Given how expensive the service is I think I will wait until 7,500.
2013 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Of course they like to see you.
A lot of these places are now heating their shop and in some cases, the entire place with used waste oil.

For each oil change they do, they get one gallon of waste oil. If oil for boilers and furnaces is running at $4.00 a gallon, they are getting a free gallon with EVERY oil change they do. And, they prefer "cleaner" oil over dirty oil as it doesn't clog their filters or nozzles as much.

My mechanic told me he has to keep the heat at 80 degrees all winter long to keep up with the oil that he needs to get rid of! We both agreed, bring a snowy, icy, wet car in at the end of a day and by the next morning, there is not even so much as a puddle under the vehicle! The guys have to open the doors to let out the heat.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
I have a login to this as well and see that the first oil change is at 7500. I think that if there was a warranty scenario and you did not do the dealer recommended 3750 mi first change but you waited until the manf recommended 7500 and they found shavings in the pan or filter I think they would still get you a new engine given that you followed the manf recommedations. I was gung ho about going and doing the 3750 change until you all started posting stuff about this. Thanks for this thread. I dont read manuals a lot so this helps

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ Nav
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a login to this as well and see that the first oil change is at 7500. I think that if there was a warranty scenario and you did not do the dealer recommended 3750 mi first change but you waited until the manf recommended 7500 and they found shavings in the pan or filter I think they would still get you a new engine given that you followed the manf recommedations. I was gung ho about going and doing the 3750 change until you all started posting stuff about this. Thanks for this thread. I dont read manuals a lot so this helps
Fortunately, the dealership provides "free oil changes for life." Not quite sure what that means though. No charges at all at 3,500 miles.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That is interesting. I guess each dealership is different. The one I went to did not charge a dealer fee as well as they always have employee pricing. Were in Indiana and the plant is only 30 minutes away, so I guess that makes a difference

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R
108 Posts
I'm about to do my first oil change as well.
Just curious to what synthetic 5w30 brand people can recommend?

I've read on other subie forums to only stay away from Mobil1 which doesn't seem to work well with lots of people who have tried it.

My friend who has an STI has only put Motul since day one and swears by it.
Just trying to see if I'm needing to pick up the OEM synthetic oil when I go pick up the OEM filter as well.

·
12,305 Posts
Any oil rated API SN will do just fine.

Currently G-Oil is running their 5 quart jug free after rebate. I'm also a fan of Quaker State Ultimate Durability, great oil for a good price.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
I just picked up mine on Saturday and the dealer told me it had to be every 3k and put a 3,000 sticker on my windshield.

This is good to know! I would assume they would have to warranty the vehicle if Subaru has 7,500 listed for the 2.5i on their website.

I'll have to check my book again, I could have sworn I saw 3k, but maybe I was looking at the 6 cyl

·
12,305 Posts
I just picked up mine on Saturday and the dealer told me it had to be every 3k and put a 3,000 sticker on my windshield.

This is good to know! I would assume they would have to warranty the vehicle if Subaru has 7,500 listed for the 2.5i on their website.

I'll have to check my book again, I could have sworn I saw 3k, but maybe I was looking at the 6 cyl
Your dealer wants your money, ignore him.

The only thing that matters for your warranty is what your Owner's Manual says for the maintenance section.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I see some conflicting answers here for a question regarding the first oil change which I recall is some place in the 3700 range. After the very first oil change then your looking at 7500 miles for light use vs heavy ie dirty use being fewer miles.

So is this your very first EVER oil change? If so then yes I recall the owners manual states something along the lines of 3700 miles. No it is not to check for metal shavings in the oil if new cars had that I would never buy a car again and get horses. No new engine should have metal shavings in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want the car returned at 3700 or so miles for an oil change simply because they have no idea how long the car has sat with that oil in it since it was built. Also good chance that subaru puts various lubes on the engine parts when the engines are built that will get washed off and contaminate the motor oil which is why they want to see it changed sooner than later.

Regarding Dealer oil change service packages - it is not in the dealers best interest to change the oil before the extreme outer limit given they loose money on it if they do. However pending your use and road conditions it might be in your best interest to change the oil before 7500 miles.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Considering the birthdate of my outback was 10/2012 I can't imagine it sat for that long.

I will probably do my first one at 5k as a precaution and then go 7500 thereafter.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Considering the birthdate of my outback was 10/2012 I can't imagine it sat for that long.

I will probably do my first one at 5k as a precaution and then go 7500 thereafter.
Pending the use - I change our car anywhere between 5500 and 7000 miles. Lots of hot weather and towing in the summer I change the oil closer to 6000 miles. Shoulder months where weather temps and use are pretty easy on oil I go 7000 miles.

As I said - your use and location determines how often you should be changing it.

·
Registered
'99 OB Ltd (R.I.P.), '00 RS, '04 FXT
113 Posts
I've read on other subie forums to only stay away from Mobil1 which doesn't seem to work well with lots of people who have tried it.
This is from WRX owner's running Energy/Resource Conserving oil in a turbo and for some reason think that Mobil1 5W-30 is the only grade oil by Mobil1. In uoa's, the new GF5 Mobil1 5W-30 is actually holding up well and with very little consumption in WRX's (there are a few on bobistheoilguy.com).

In a turbo, Mobil1 0W-40 is hard to beat for something that is easily available. Then there's Mobil1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. For an n/a car, brand doesn't really matter much and any Mobil1 or Mobil is an excellent choice.

-Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
The way I figure, you should get rid of break-in oil by 2,000 miles and change every 3-4k or 3 months. I don't care how new a car is; oil has been the same for a long time and it turns black around that time.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The way I figure, you should get rid of break-in oil by 2,000 miles and change every 3-4k or 3 months. I don't care how new a car is; oil has been the same for a long time and it turns black around that time.
you work for an oil company don't you?

All depends on where you live and how you use your car. Heck even my dirty old 2001 had clean synthetic oil at 4000 miles it was by 5000 miles that it needed to be done. Standard oil 3000-4000 miles for sure.

The new 2.5 in my 2010 is FAR FAR FAR cleaner running and the oil looks brand new at 3000 miles and looks a little used by 5000-6000 miles. Rarely back by 7000 miles.

Engines are different today far cleaner and oils are a bit different also. I suppose if your still driving that old Chevy Nova then your logic might still be valid though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts