Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2018 Outback in April and gave it the first oil change today. I previously owned a 2017 so there were no surprises procedurally, aside from a different hex size on the drain plug (14mm on the 2018, vs 17mm on the 2017. Weird!).

The good:
The oil level hasn't budged in the ~4500 miles we've put on this car. I'm quite happy about this since my 2017 was an oil user. The 2017 was brand new and I broke it in per the manual, the current car was a lease and I doubt they did the same, so go figure. It's had regular oil changes from the dealer, I wonder if it's the oil itself (Mobil 1) that contributed to the usage in the 2017? I'll find out soon enough I suppose, though this car got Pennzoil Platinum.

The bad:
There was some weird crap in the oil fill. At first I thought it was some kind of deposit, but on closer inspection I think it was dirt. Like, someone dropped the filler cap in dirt and just stuck it on there without wiping it off. I'm a bit concerned, but mostly disappointed. This car (to the best of my knowledge) was always serviced at the dealer I bought it from. I cleaned up as best as I could, I just hope none of this made it into the crankcase. Not much I can do aside from just live with it at this point. And people question why I DIY....

PXL_20210710_185707317.jpg

PXL_20210710_190033324.jpg

PXL_20210710_190022312.jpg

The ugly:
When rotating the tires I spotted a big ass nail in one of them. Then on closer inspection I found a cut clear through the tread to the belt! I'm very grateful I caught this, and that it didn't give up while driving. My wife and kids commute in this car daily. All the tires are between 5/32 and 6/32 so it makes no sense to replace it with a shaved crappy Bridgestone, so I've got an appointment on Monday for 4 new GY Assurance Weatherreadys. Gotta love these unplanned expenses!

IMG_20210710_175701_132.jpg

IMG_20210710_175701_273.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not dirt.
Rest easy its normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It just struck me as odd since I never saw anything like that with my 2017 after 68k miles

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1, this isn't a transmission, a little crud at the oil cap is perfectly normal and not a concern. Could be anything - I've seen stuff kinda like that come out of the bottom of a jug of fresh oil. Just part of the reason you have an oil filter.
Your oil change colors of your oil fill cap are a by product of running Mobil 1, this is normal signs of Mobil 1 being in the crankcase, if this situation bothers you-switch to royal purple
It has more detergent additives that clean

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
Your oil change colors of your oil fill cap are a by product of running Mobil 1, this is normal signs of Mobil 1 being in the crankcase, if this situation bothers you-switch to royal purple
Nope, I've been running good quality synthetics since 6k miles, and have tried several brands. Think I tried Mobil 1 exactly once. Don't recall which brand had the residue in the bottom of the jug but I'm sure it was totally benign. I'm also quite sure that brand matters very little in these NA engines - there are plenty of UOAs posted on various forums to prove any full synthetic is overkill.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 2.5 Nav CANCELED
162 Posts
This is complete nonsense

·
Registered
17 Posts

My apologies-

my apology- was just giving my professional opinion here-to me the inside of the oil fill cap shows burn off of suspended Moisture -combustion gases/crank case gases -this is consistent with synthetic oil cleaning an filming lubricity - Vehicles Used on short trip run periods not at operating trips will sweat these droplets of hydrocarbons -change your oil

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,962 Posts
Lessons learned are to change the oil depending on your use more or less frequently. Brand doesn't matter all that much but you can bend the performance curve a bit by choosing a thin or thick oil within the same grade.

Shake the oil bottle or jugs. Stuff settles out and doesn't stay in complete suspension sitting on a shelf.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know the oil brand history of the pictured car. All of the recorded oil changes were at the dealer so I'm guessing it is Subaru oil, but no guarantees. I also don't know the driving history of it prior to my ownership, but these days it gets steady use as a commuter.

My prior Outback had M1 it's whole life and I never saw this kind of deposit. It was always used for 30min + commutes 2x a day and never had consistent short-trip usage save for weekend grocery trips, but those were always mixed in with longer weekend outings as well.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya oil cap just hasn't received any love until now.
Some swear that Mobil 1 is a curse but I've used it on occasion in my 3.6's without any loss.
Tire problems look scary, good catch. 👍👍
Very glad I caught it, almost didn't make it out there for the oil change yesterday!

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited 2.5 Nav CANCELED
162 Posts
My apologies-

my apology- was just giving my professional opinion here-to me the inside of the oil fill cap shows burn off of suspended Moisture -combustion gases/crank case gases -this is consistent with synthetic oil cleaning an filming lubricity - Vehicles Used on short trip run periods not at operating trips will sweat these droplets of hydrocarbons -change your oil
Apologies accepted of course not that you needed to and not to split hairs here but thats not what you said prior. You said it was a by product of using Mobil 1.
Thats what I took issue with.
I dont even use Mobil 1, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum changed every 5k and not one mile over. I drive mostly highway with my commute being 65 miles, over 1 hour, one way.
My oil cap looks the same.
I do respect your opinion though.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,169 Posts
Was thinking that nail was no justification to replace the tires, but that slit to the belt certainly is.

The crud under the oil cap is normal. Its just that that is a nook where oil doesn't routinely flow to keep the surfaces washed clean.

And I agree the OE Bridgestone tires are mediocre. Mine sound like they are flatspotted for first 200-300 miles in a day. But no vibration else they would be long gone. Wondering how much longer I am going to put up with them as I like Bridgestone T31GT on the front of my street bike, but prefer a Michelin PR4GT on the rear. And Bridgestone M59 is my favorite dirtbike front tire.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback XT Liimted
18 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 extended performance in all my cars since as long as I can remember without issue. Also ran it in all my DIT cars. The only reason you would use royal purple is if you have extreme temperature, like tracking your car, or maybe if you take it out to the desert, or maybe you just like paying extra for the name.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine sound like they are flatspotted for first 200-300 miles in a day
There was certainly some tire noise, I'm guessing this could have been a contributing factor. Glad to be rid of them anyway, I was on the fence about letting these go through the winter.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
197 Posts
After 20+ years in the business I can assure you that (a) there is nothing to worry about re: the oil cap deposits you show, and (b) there is no significant difference between BRANDS of oil of the same grade/type.

The oil cap deposits are just detergent deposits from the oil used, and no the brand does not matter. As previous posters said, you may need to shake the jug a bit to re-desolve them if its been on the shelf a long time, or sitting in a shed or garage. Those bits are literally one of the main things your oil filter removes.

Re: Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil vs Royal Purple etc. Unless you are getting a custom blend done (ie: you are a Formula 1 owner) there is literally no difference between these brands. They all use the same base stock, and for the most part, the same detergents. When I was a service manager we routinely switched between brands, depending on what our supplier had available. For synthetic oil, you'll find the majority of dealers and private garages will use QState or Castrol fully synthetic because those are the ones most readily available in bulk, although that will depend on area and other brands may have local penetration with bulk in some areas.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,977 Posts
Nope, I've been running good quality synthetics since 6k miles, and have tried several brands. Think I tried Mobil 1 exactly once. Don't recall which brand had the residue in the bottom of the jug but I'm sure it was totally benign. I'm also quite sure that brand matters very little in these NA engines - there are plenty of UOAs posted on various forums to prove any full synthetic is overkill.
I’ve been using Mobil 1 on our Outback for years…7….ish. That would be over 200,000 km. and on our crosstrek since I started doing my own oil changes a couple of years ago. I have not had any build up of gunk on the inside of the oil caps of both cars. They do get dis coloured just because of what is going on inside there with high temp and oil..that is natural. I’ve never had any issues using mobil1. Seems to be a good oil to me

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,967 Posts
Lolz, you'll never catch me shaking a bottle of oil. I just found a thread on BITOG and not even half of them admit to shaking. Reminds me of my grandfather shaking homogenized milk. If a little bit of something happens to fall out of suspension, precipitate, whatever, I'm not in the least bit concerned. We're not talking thick deposits here!

...I have not had any build up of gunk on the inside of the oil caps of both cars.
Not sure I'd call what I see in the OP's picture "build up", whatever it is, there's not much of it. I do all my own oil changes, right on time, with quality oil, and I see stuff like that on occasion. I realize it might bother the more obsessive owners, but I'm certain it's completely harmless.

The only reason you would use royal purple is if you have extreme temperature, like tracking your car, or maybe if you take it out to the desert, or maybe you just like paying extra for the name.
One of our resident Subaru mechanics suggested folks with oil consumption try Royal Purple (he uses it himself for all oil changes), and it does seem to have helped considerably in my 3.6 (probably cut it in half, down to about a quart every 4-5k miles). It's hardly the most expensive oil around (Amsoil, Motul...). We're talking a difference of a few tenths of a cent per mile here - doesn't concern me.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of the replies here, I'm interested to see what it looks like at the next change. I wiped everything out so it's starting clean.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts