Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i, Satin Pearl White
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2013 Outback 2.5i in to dealer yesterday for first (complimentary) oil/filer change. After letting car sit for a few hours after I got home, the oil level was way above the max fill indicator on dip stick. I suspect two things:
- first, car was ready after about 40 min. at the dealer meaning there was not enough time for adequate drain of old oil.
- second, the tech probably put in too much new oil. Instead of the 5.1 qts, he probably put in 5.5 or thereabouts.
I drained off 3/4 quart to get level down to max fill. I'll be doing my own changes from now anyway and will allow for adequate drain and only 5 qts of new oil. Disappointed with the dealer - not a good first time experience.

So far it's been an awesome experience with the new car, couldn't be more pleased. I'm going to enjoy making it last. Will be cautious about any work from the dealer in the future though.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Regardless of where you go for an oil change the guy doing oil changes is not going to be their most skilled technician (if you get my drift). If the guy/gal was better he/she would likely not be doing oil changes. Add in that the dealer pushes these guys to get cars in and out as fast as possible and there's where quality goes down hill fast. Only way to know things are done right are to do them yourself.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Since Toolman bothers to check the oil fill and his name is Toolman, I say forget the free dealer changes and DIY or get a Fumoto quick valve and easily drain off the overfill.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Regardless of where you go for an oil change the guy doing oil changes is not going to be their most skilled technician (if you get my drift). If the guy/gal was better he/she would likely not be doing oil changes. Add in that the dealer pushes these guys to get cars in and out as fast as possible and there's where quality goes down hill fast. Only way to know things are done right are to do them yourself.

Exactly why I do my own oil changes. I know that's not practical for everyone. Unfortunately many of those guys are changing oil because McDonalds wasn't hiring.

Back many years ago when I was working as a mechanic's assistant we had several cars from the quick change oil places where the techs drained the transmission and filled the engine :gasp: The owner made it a few miles down the road before the transmission locked up. :eek:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
34 Posts
There's no excuse for a 1/2 qt overfill. I would leave pretty disappointed as well.

This though:

- first, car was ready after about 40 min. at the dealer meaning there was not enough time for adequate drain of old oil.
If all they were doing was an oil change 40 minutes is a massive amount of time to drain the oil on a car that hasn't been sitting. Unless you dropped your car off the night before and all they did was move it from the lot tot the bay, they allowed plenty of time. Hot oil drains completely quite quickly, 99% of it will be out of the engine in the first 5 minutes and expecting more than that to get out is not realistic as oil will pool in galleys all over the engine.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
There's no excuse for a 1/2 qt overfill. I would leave pretty disappointed as well.

This though:

If all they were doing was an oil change 40 minutes is a massive amount of time to drain the oil on a car that hasn't been sitting. Unless you dropped your car off the night before and all they did was move it from the lot tot the bay, they allowed plenty of time. Hot oil drains completely quite quickly, 99% of it will be out of the engine in the first 5 minutes and expecting more than that to get out is not realistic as oil will pool in galleys all over the engine.
Maybe it was frozen oil?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's stories like this that make me sound crazy when I tell people I'll pass up on free maintenance and do it myself. Although .5 quart extra may not have dire consequences, I've heard and experienced too much.

Had a torque converter replaced at a Honda dealership. My OCD brain decided to check the fluid level and it barely had fluid in it. Probably what was in the pan (80% empty) while they yanked the torque converter.

Add the fact that I have a 2013 Outback 2.5, I would be terrified of the dealership putting in conventional oil with the wrong weight rating when the new 2.5 needs synthetic 0W-20. Also, the oil filter is different per the subaruaccessories website.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Took my 2013 Outback 2.5i in to dealer yesterday for first (complimentary) oil/filer change. After letting car sit for a few hours after I got home, the oil level was way above the max fill indicator on dip stick. I suspect two things:
- second, the tech probably put in too much new oil. Instead of the 5.1 qts, he probably put in 5.5 or thereabouts.
I drained off 3/4 quart to get level down to max fill. I'll be doing my own changes from now anyway and will allow for adequate drain and only 5 qts of new oil. Disappointed with the dealer - not a good first time experience.

So far it's been an awesome experience with the new car, couldn't be more pleased. I'm going to enjoy making it last. Will be cautious about any work from the dealer in the future though.
Stories like this, along with my own experience locally, are why I just don't trust dealerships. I'm DIY as much as possible.

Since Toolman bothers to check the oil fill and his name is Toolman, I say forget the free dealer changes and DIY or get a Fumoto quick valve and easily drain off the overfill.
+1 on the Fumoto... I ordered one from Amazon and because it didn't arrive on time, they're sending another free of charge. If I end up getting two, I'll have one for sale on here soon.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
If I do this myself and it is wrong I have no one to blame but me. I prefer to make this my responsibility regardless of what might be free at the dealership.
Trust comes from confidence they did it right.
Having taken my car many years ago to a quick lube place and watched them fill the crankcase with ATF (and stopped them right then and there) I take the responsibility for this simple task.
Also I and very lucky to have access to a lift and oil drain cans which makes this a 20 minute effort time on the drive on lift to the time off...

No one wants to make a mistake or do a bad job but in the end it is your car and your engine...

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
My advice: if you are physically capable, save the money and hassel and do it yourself. It's literally a 15 minute job and even easier if you're a 2013+ owner given the oil filter location. Heck, you don't even have to jack the OB up, just slide under!

It's good to see people understanding the harm of overfilling - my father-in-law still tops up another entire quart "because too much is better than too little".

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
easier if you're a 2013+ owner given the oil filter location.

This applies to the 2013 - 2.5i engine only.

BUT....it's not hard on the 3.6R of any year, filter is easily accessable and drains easily w/o creating a mess. Not quite as easy as the new 2.5i inverted filter, but not hard.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
Sorry to jump in your thread but I have a question regarding oil changes by the dealer.

My first oil change was @ 11/05/12 , 3001 miles. They put a sticker that says 6000 miles on my window. They said I can drive this many miles to my next oil change, is this accurate with what you guys are doing?

Currently I'm at 5400 miles total.
2.5 engine

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Sorry to jump in your thread but I have a question regarding oil changes by the dealer.

My first oil change was @ 11/05/12 , 3001 miles. They put a sticker that says 6000 miles on my window. They said I can drive this many miles to my next oil change, is this accurate with what you guys are doing?

Currently I'm at 5400 miles total.
2.5 engine
The interval for "Normal" use is 7500 miles, or 7.5 months. Very few people use their cars in the "Severe usage" category. So, you should not have to change your oil until 10,500 or 06/20/13. You can certainly change it sooner, but by no means does Subaru require that you do.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT in White, Codename: Ditto.
82 Posts
My new Outback currently has 4460 on it.

Dealer sticker in window says I should bring the car in at 3750. Salesman told me the same thing the day I picked it up, and so does the my.subaru site.

Yet, I call the dealership to make an appointment and the service people say..."nah, wait until 7500".

WTF?

When have you guys been doing your first change? I may do it myself this weekend.

And mine isn't complimentary...is that a dealership thing or a corporate thing that I'm getting screwed out of?

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
My new Outback currently has 4460 on it.

Dealer sticker in window says I should bring the car in at 3750. Salesman told me the same thing the day I picked it up, and so does the my.subaru site.

Yet, I call the dealership to make an appointment and the service people say..."nah, wait until 7500".

WTF?

When have you guys been doing your first change? I may do it myself this weekend.

And mine isn't complimentary...is that a dealership thing or a corporate thing that I'm getting screwed out of?
The change at 3750 (or there abouts) is entirely optional. I did it because the dealer did it for free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My rule is after I buy a new vehicle I never return to the dealer. I lived by this simple philosophy for many years now and numerous new cars. This tread proves my point. Thank you and have a nice day.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts