any alternatives to this?

thanks............Steve

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
so i bought a 08 tribeca and need a remote key,,,,171. at the dealer...ouch

thanks............Steve
Our 2001 VW Jetta was a $450 key project when our neighbor who shared our single wide two car garage had our key stolen out of her car. That was back in 2006

Even today our Subaru 2010 costs less to replace a key

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts

thanks............Steve
Find a locksmith that can cut the blank and "clone" the chip then you don't need the dealer to register the new chip into the car, the car sees it as if it is the other key. For my 2010 the locksmith wanted $70. Shop around..

Lockmedic where are you??

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
Find a locksmith that can cut the blank and "clone" the chip then you don't need the dealer to register the new chip into the car, the car sees it as if it is the other key. For my 2010 the locksmith wanted $70. Shop around..

Lockmedic where are you??
the original poster should put Key problem in the post title or post up a new one for the post master lockmedic to see the spotlight in the sky.

I wonder if someone has opted to go back to traditional 2000-2004 style keys and fobs, for their inexpensiveness. (edit: with a transponder)

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts

thanks............Steve

There are three parts to the key:

1) The physical key. 08 can be cut by just about anyone. I had mine done at ace hardware with the old style 'trace' cutter

2) Key FOB for Remote lock/unlock. You can program this yourself. Details in your owner's manual. People complain about it, but I found it pretty easy to do.

3) The transponder - this is a chip actually in the key. This will require someone to clone or program to the car. The most expensive part of it. But it's still not very expensive.

Might as well upgrade to the cool 'flip key'. See this: 2011/2012 WRX Flip / Switchblade Key - NASIOC

I've done with my 08 tribeca and 2010 LGT. You would need the newer style key FOB. I got mine on ebay from here: New Subaru Outback Tribeca Replacement Keyless Remote Key Fob Transmitter Alarm | eBay

They are slightly smaller than the 08 tribeca version but work just fine. Well, I didn't use the transponder chip, I harvested that from the old key.

If you want to cheap out, you can cut out the transponder from you valet key, then you'll only need the ebay key and replace the transponder.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Lol not much for me to add to this on except I wouldn't count on being able to get someone to program an eBay key. Some shops will attempt it, some won't. We do, but only with the warning that we make absolutely no guarantee the programming will be successful. Obviously we don't try to sabotage things, but bringing your own key in to have it cut and programmed is like bringing your own steak into a restaurant and expecting it to be delicious. . and insisting you only pay for the cooking. Cooking's only half of it. . .the other half is the quality of the product you're bringing in. Maybe it's good, maybe it isn't. . .but it's not the restaurant's fault if someone else sold you a lousy piece of meat.

I also tend to look at it the same way a mechanic would look at a customer who brings in his own parts. Sure, I'll put 'em on. . . but you're gonna pay me to take 'em back off again if they suck.

I'm not a fan of cloning the transponder. It works, but it leaves a bit to be desired as it can create issues down the road in certain circumstances (want to delete a lost clone? ya can't without also deleting the original!). That may never happen, but it's something to consider. Also, cloneable chips for this system cost 4x as much as the non cloneable version, and I couldn't see it being worth it to save me from having to go through the anguish of getting out a programmer and walking to the car with it. But that's just me. Some shops (and hardware/big box stores) love them, mostly because they don't have to have tens of thousands of dollars of programming gear and people trained how to use it.

$170 programmed out the door for an OEM remote key at the dealer is pretty reasonable, if that includes programming. I've heard of a lot worse. Toyota remote head keys are $250 at the local dealer, programming is another $80. On the other end of the spectrum: Honda remote keys are about $40, brand new, from the dealer. Doesn't include cutting or programming, of course, but they're some of the least expensive OEM keys out there. Even then, the out-the-door price most Honda customers pay at the dealer is about $130.

You can maybe do better if you don't mind doing some legwork and throwing money at keys you may not be able to get programmed. . . all depends on what your time is worth, I suppose. Techs don't work for free, and the building and programming gear wasn't courtesy of the 0 Bama* administration either. . . so consider that.

I think we sell those 08/09 Outback/Tribeca remote keys for $89. . .programming from us would be $30. Those keys are not stocked at most locksmith distributors. . so it's doubtful you'll be able to find one outside of ebay or the dealer.

*(had to type it like that as the forum software automatically parses the name of our current prez)

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
Yeah, 170$ sounds quite reasonable, if it includes everything. It is the cost of a fine, not great or specialized Tribeca tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow you guys are great...love all the responses and appreciate them
so from all the responses i think i will just buy the dealer key, it includes the programming so i guess the price is good
the seller said he had another key at home and would mail it to me but he doesnt even answer my texts so i guess he is not a man of his word
oh well scum bags abound

thank you very much for the advice, it is appreciated

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts