Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Outback with the v-6 engine, and now have 156K miles on it. Up until now I have literally had zero issues with this great car. But this past week suddenly a bunch of warning lights came on at once (CHeck engine light, brake, traction control, and the cruise control indicator). Car seemed to run fine, but Cruise Control wouldn't engage, and oddly, in the Auto setting the lights remained on after turning off the engine. My local mechanic said to change the oil, which I did and the problem went away for two days, then returned. Brought it to the Subaru dealer who said it likely is the cam actuator which will cost me about $600 to replace, with no guarantee that this will solve the problem. The service advisor said that if the problem isn't fixed with the new actuator, they would have to open the engine and get into the camshaft to see what the problem is. Up until now this car has been great, but at its age I'm not sure how much I want to spend to get it fixed. $600 I can live with. Several thousand, probably not.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,142 Posts
Probably worth fixing, giving the miles and age, but you don't have to go to a dealer - check around for good indie shops in your area that work on Subarus.

Incidentally, your engine is an H6 (a horizontally opposed flat six), not a V6.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
could be the sensor, not the actuator.

ANY DTC set by the computer will disable cruise, traction control, and 1 or 2 other systems on ALL modern cars.

read the code and post it up.

also, in a new thread, ask for a repair shop near your city, someone might recommend an independent, subaru-friendly mechanic. You may save a little money over deaelr work.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,649 Posts
Hey...this year I replaced two front bearings, a prop shaft, a front axle...well worth the cost as it is a h3ll of a lot cheaper than a monthly car payment.

Go with the repair...but maybe try another dealership for an opinion....

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Incidentally, your engine is an H6 (a horizontally opposed flat six), not a V6.
:1pat:

I am surprised how often people say this.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,142 Posts
Even better: when car dealerships advertise "V6" when selling Outbacks.
Pervasiveness of advertising - the letter "V" is pushed to be perceived as a mark of more, better, and higher end option packages. Yet, with fuel efficiency and CAFE standards being pushed as hard as they are, the V8 is probably going to be the first engine configuration extinction we see in passenger cars - followed closely by the V6. Just look at the Ascent!

Mind you, I said "passenger cars" - they will still have their purpose in light trucks.

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean 3.0
246 Posts
I had a similar issue. The solution was simply to pull the solenoids and clean with carb clean. Not sure if it makes a difference but I made sure to keep the right side with right and L with L. Just seems to make sense. I didn't have all the lights come up. Just check engine and my cruise wouldn't work. Everything has been working fine for the last 40k miles or so. Worth a try. Here 8smanother thread with a bunch of info maintenance/249889-p0028-error-code-2005-outback-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts