Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying our 2012 2.5i in December of 2011 we really haven't had an opportunity to drive the Outback in any kind of snow. Most of we we have seen was either plowed quickly or was more ice which I won't drive in (nothing helps when you are trying to stop on ice).

This past weekend my wife, daughter, and I went to Blacksburg, VA to visit our old stomping grounds at Virginia Tech. My wife had some business to do with VT so why not make a weekend out of it. Got there Thursday and I had to meet here on campus for an official dinner by 5:00. I walk out of the hotel after a couple hour nap for our daughter to find it snowed 4 inches in about 3 hours time. This meant no snow plows had touched the roads and because the campus closed everyone was trying to drive home in the really heavy, wet snow (the kind that is really slick under your tires). Cars were getting stuck all around me but I just turned off VDC and went around them. Getting going from a stop on steep inclines wasn't an issue either. I heard the front brakes activate to push power side to side a couple times but without the noise I wouldn't have known it happened, car just pulled right along. Great experience overall for a car that also got about 30 mpg on the way down and back to Blacksburg.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, K&N Air Filter, Crystal Black Silica exterior, Notto SE HID Kit, 2 10" Alpine Subs w/Amp, interior LED's, Visor & Windows Tinted, LED Fog/Reverse/Projector Front Position L
202 Posts
After buying our 2012 2.5i in December of 2011 we really haven't had an opportunity to drive the Outback in any kind of snow. Most of we we have seen was either plowed quickly or was more ice which I won't drive in (nothing helps when you are trying to stop on ice).

This past weekend my wife, daughter, and I went to Blacksburg, VA to visit our old stomping grounds at Virginia Tech. My wife had some business to do with VT so why not make a weekend out of it. Got there Thursday and I had to meet here on campus for an official dinner by 5:00. I walk out of the hotel after a couple hour nap for our daughter to find it snowed 4 inches in about 3 hours time. This meant no snow plows had touched the roads and because the campus closed everyone was trying to drive home in the really heavy, wet snow (the kind that is really slick under your tires). Cars were getting stuck all around me but I just turned off VDC and went around them. Getting going from a stop on steep inclines wasn't an issue either. I heard the front brakes activate to push power side to side a couple times but without the noise I wouldn't have known it happened, car just pulled right along. Great experience overall for a car that also got about 30 mpg on the way down and back to Blacksburg.
Awesome! I live in Northern Virginia and it hasn't really snowed much since I got my Outback in August 2011.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,771 Posts
...and may you be blessed with many more in the years that you own your outback...:29:

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! I live in Northern Virginia and it hasn't really snowed much since I got my Outback in August 2011.
I'm in NOVA as well. It's been a little disappointing not having anything to test out the Outback. About the most I have done with it is a little off-roading at the property I hunt on. It's an old farm so there are established routes but the couple creek crossings you have to take slow in any vehicle and things can get muddy. Also, because they are old fields some places just have grass and we all know how slick wet grass is when going up-hill. So far no issues with the Outback in that area, much to the surprise of my hunting buddies who drive in with their Tundras and Tacomas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts